Home

Upgrade or not? Thank you

This is a discussion on Upgrade or not? Thank you within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-16-2017, 03:41 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Upgrade or not? Thank you

I'm looking for a few opinions please. I've read posts on the PS4 pro but I wanted to ask this directly. First of all about the only game I play is The Show. I play year round. I just bought a new Sony 4K tv yesterday and my question is is it worth it to upgrade to the PS4 pro basically just for The Show. It doesn't bother me to put out the money for another console if it's worth it. I don't know much about frame rate, HDR etc. I had a fellow at GameStop tell me The Show wasn't enhanced for the Pro so it wouldn't be worth it or I would have bought a Pro today. Is it much better visually? Any opinions are appreciated or any advice on set up. Thank you
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2017, 03:48 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

bcruise's Arena

OVR: 48
Re: Upgrade or not? Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen44
I'm looking for a few opinions please. I've read posts on the PS4 pro but I wanted to ask this directly. First of all about the only game I play is The Show. I play year round. I just bought a new Sony 4K tv yesterday and my question is is it worth it to upgrade to the PS4 pro basically just for The Show. It doesn't bother me to put out the money for another console if it's worth it. I don't know much about frame rate, HDR etc. I had a fellow at GameStop tell me The Show wasn't enhanced for the Pro so it wouldn't be worth it or I would have bought a Pro today. Is it much better visually? Any opinions are appreciated or any advice on set up. Thank you
That Gamestop guy obviously didn't have a clue because it's definitely optimized on the Pro. There are three separate graphics detail/framerate modes you can choose from (though only a higher res TV will really benefit from 2 of them), and the High Frame Rate mode has the game running the best I've ever seen in this series (this coming from someone who found certain situations nearly unplayable last year due to framerate). I feel like the load times are just a bit better than they were last year too (when I only had a regular PS4).

The feature set is the same of course, so answering whether it's worth it is a hard one and comes down to personal taste. I had more reasons than just this game so it made the decision easier for me (my original was malfunctioning such that I would have had to send it for repairs, plus I needed more HDD space)

This game does see definite performance improvement on the Pro - that I can say for certain.

Last edited by bcruise; 06-16-2017 at 03:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #3
MVP

OVR: 0

It's been well documented in the developer interaction this year that it is an upgrade to get the Pro for many reasons.

However, this is the first I've heard of a Gamestop employee not wanting to sell something, whether it would benefit the customer or not.
Old 06-16-2017, 03:54 PM   #4
Banned

OVR: 20

bought a pro about a month ago (so have spent time with both versions) and the upgrade is very noticeable. i don't feel comfortable telling you to go buy a pro if you only play the show, however. i mean, it's not a $400 upgrade, hell no.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 1

Thank you all for your responses. I knew when I played I saw those advanced settings but didn't think about that. I was a little surprised that he didn't push the pro as well, especially since I was just about to buy it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-16-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
MVP

Syce's Arena

OVR: 0

playing the game on 4k there are noticeable frame rate issues. but the visuals are beautiful. there is a frame rate adjustment but the visuals will not be as good as the 4k.

i will say though that the frame rate issue is not as noticeable as it is on regular ps4
Old 06-17-2017, 07:01 AM   #7
MVP

jeffy777's Arena

OVR: 16

To me, it's definitely worth the upgrade for the smoother framerate. As a PC gamer, I'm very picky about framerates, and the price is similar to buying a new graphics card on PC (and it's even cheaper if you trade in your old PS4).
Old 06-17-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

I havent ''upgraded'' and this year is easily the best looking on the ps4. I'm just as happy as I have ever been with the Show and it will probably now be Christmas of 2018 before I upgrade. I was going upgrade this Christmas but after Show 17 it makes it easier to put off for a while longer.

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »