Home

Player Personality & Stadium Atmosphere Help

This is a discussion on Player Personality & Stadium Atmosphere Help within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2017, 06:44 PM   #1
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46
Player Personality & Stadium Atmosphere Help

SDS is looking for our help with some specific player/stadium items for next year. Please read the entire post that reply!
  • We would like to know if any player does anything unique in these situations: rounding 2nd on a home run, rounding 3rd on a home run, home plate celebration on a home run, batter walkup rituals, any handshakes with other teammates in the dugout, outfield celebrations after a win, infield celebrations after a win, and closer celebrations after a win. I need a description of it and video reference. It should also be something a player consistently does and not just a one-off. NO COMMENTS NEEDED.

• We are looking for good examples that we can use to enhance the atmosphere of the game and create unique experiences for each stadium.” Just a description and video/photo reference. Judge’s Chambers will be in, so don’t worry about adding that.

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!

Last edited by Millennium; 06-28-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2017, 08:24 PM   #2
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
Re: Player Personality & Stadium Atmosphere Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
SDS is looking for our help with some specific player/stadium items for next year. Please read the entire post that reply!

[*]We are looking for good examples that we can use to enhance the atmosphere of the game and create unique experiences for each stadium.” Just a description and video/photo reference. Judge’s Chambers will be in, so don’t worry about adding that.[/list]
In regards to this, one thing that I always thought would be cool to have in the game is the 7th inning stretch. You could listen the organ play "Take me out to the ballgame" while the camera pans around the stands showing fans and different aspects of the ballpark.

One other thing would be unique things that take place at each stadium. The President Races in Washington, the sausage race in Milwaukee, Beat the Freeze in Atlanta, etc...

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 06-28-2017, 11:40 PM   #3
Pro

sportomatic75's Arena

OVR: 0

I know this has been going on for years, so hopefully we get to see it in MLB 18. The Cespedes/Walker celebration handshake
Attached Images
File Type: gif giphy.gif (5.25 MB, 1781 views)
Old 06-29-2017, 12:42 AM   #4
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

Yangervis Solarte jumping hand clap on HRs

https://twitter.com/Judson1360/statu...61225436086274

Old 06-29-2017, 12:25 PM   #5
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

I am by no means trying to compare which game is better just to show what I believe where The Show needs to go. The presentation has been pretty much the same for years.....the mound visits for one. Players now cover their mouths with their gloves for one. It's in this video. Love how the camera jumps around, even on home runs. Suggest that camera shot of the manager smiling (just his face) after a home run be replaced. It's repetitive and there's no drama to it at all.
I love to see the coaches give signals, bench and base coaches, and when I see it in the The Show it's great. There just isn't enough of it. Player specific stuff is fine, but I'm not sure it would happen enough to make the presentation improved.

Devs might want to sit down with a bunch of videos from this game and incorporate some of the stuff.

It seems it would be easier to move the camera around, get some new angles than go out an spend a lot of time mo-capping one player. Take Solarte. He may hit 20 homeruns a year, so how many times would a gamer actually see this????? I don't think it would impact an upgrade in presentation all that much.

Last edited by KnightTemplar; 06-29-2017 at 10:01 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-30-2017, 09:26 PM   #6
All Star

franch1se's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnightTemplar
I am by no means trying to compare which game is better just to show what I believe where The Show needs to go. The presentation has been pretty much the same for years.....the mound visits for one. Players now cover their mouths with their gloves for one. It's in this video. Love how the camera jumps around, even on home runs. Suggest that camera shot of the manager smiling (just his face) after a home run be replaced. It's repetitive and there's no drama to it at all.
I love to see the coaches give signals, bench and base coaches, and when I see it in the The Show it's great. There just isn't enough of it. Player specific stuff is fine, but I'm not sure it would happen enough to make the presentation improved.

Devs might want to sit down with a bunch of videos from this game and incorporate some of the stuff.

It seems it would be easier to move the camera around, get some new angles than go out an spend a lot of time mo-capping one player. Take Solarte. He may hit 20 homeruns a year, so how many times would a gamer actually see this????? I don't think it would impact an upgrade in presentation all that much.

You also need to remember there are different teams (developers) in this game. One team may focus on little things such as these celebrations while a much larger team works on the overall presentation.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #7
Pro

Bunselpower32's Arena

OVR: 8

I think the atmosphere is very much defined by the organ (lack thereof) and the PA announcer. Not only the songs they play, but the sounds as well. You can tell a distinct difference in the Cardinals and the Cubs or other teams. For the PA announcer, when I hear John "U-Man" Ulett giving the ground rules or calling out the first pitch ceremony, I know I'm at Busch Stadium.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-xlUW4BXyU

In this video, it kinda hits three things that I think of. Here Comes the King with Clydesdales on opening day and on playoffs, John Ulett, and the Busch Stadium organ. (Missing is Big Mac Land) But here's the thing, I guarantee the answer to all of these things is that they're copyrighted. It's great that you guys want to add stuff, and I applaud you for trying to improve the game. But if you want a real answer, there it is. I will never feel like I'm at Busch Stadium until these things are present.

KnightTemplar is correct, the thing lacking in The Show isn't that Cespedes doesn't do his handshake. It's that for the other players, they do the same thing every single time. You need a variety of camera cuts and replays and angles and coach reactions (or lack of reactions).

- Rick Wise
Old 07-05-2017, 12:33 PM   #8
Pro

breakfastcat's Arena

A few things that are unique to the atmosphere are Angel Stadium:

The "Light Wave", which was started here and has since been done at a few other parks, but is almost a nightly occurrence at the Big A around the 6th inning. People use their cellphone flash led to make a sparkly effect in the stands that looks really cool when viewed across the entire stadium

Example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQR-6cPHBco (some good stadium shots around the 1:00 mark)

The CF rocks shoot fireworks and giant flames after Angels home runs and wins. It's one of the stadiums most unique features.

Example: https://youtu.be/rLm5yO7LfXw?t=7m33s

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »