Home

How can 2k encourage players to play as a team in MyPark and MyGm?

This is a discussion on How can 2k encourage players to play as a team in MyPark and MyGm? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-02-2017, 09:54 PM   #1
Banned

Housh123's Arena

OVR: 0
How can 2k encourage players to play as a team in MyPark and MyGm?

I was thinking that 2k really doesn't encourage great team play in its co-op modes. Yeah you get teammate raises for stuff like boxing out, and assists and passes to assists, but I think a lot of things that great teammates do get overlooked. If your playing with a smart center he may average around a C teammate grade because of his need to step up off his man and stop easy layups. I see it all the time. The PG and SG are getting beat off the dribble every single play and then the big comes over to help and the big ends up giving up 25 to his man all on mid range shots and 3s. I think you should get a teammate grade boost every time you help like that and then attempt to close out on your man. Even if your man makes the shot, you should get love because that's good basketball. Or how about when you are getting a pick and roll run on you as a big man and you see the guard get killed by the pick so you switch and instead of taking your man who is the roller the guard sits there and tries to get back on the guy your already guarding instead of guarding the roller. So now your man has 20 points because your teammate cant guard the pick and roll. But guess who 2k punishes in this situation? Yep the big.

I think 2k should add teammate grade boosts for the following actions:

Rotating over to the roller and then getting back to your own man in the pick and roll. Too many times I watch guys see a guy rolling WIDE OPEN TO THE RIM and they literally do NOTHING. Like they think "He's not my man so I don't have to help".

Getting out the paint during a teammates drive to the paint. Flat out people do not know or care about keeping the paint open for everyone.

Spacing the floor. I think proper spacing should be a way higher boost to teammate grade than it is right now. Floor spacing is literally what separates trash teams from good ones. You also don't get the proper floor spacing boost a lot in Pro Am games.

Punish bad cuts to the rim. If I'm posted up and you run through me to cut to the rim and your man rips me you should get a bad floor spacing decrease and a put teammate in bad position decrease. If 2k did this and the decrease was like 3/4 of your teammate grade meter I bet people would stop doing it.

Reward players who pass to teammates on time. There's guys who DO pass but they throw such trash passes that are so late that you aren't even open anymore. Like PGs who have to walk it all the way down the court every single play and don't hit you when your open but then as soon as your covered they throw you the ball and you get blocked or turn it over. You get really frustrated because you were open the whole play for a dunk but by the time you got it you weren't open but still shot it anyway out of frustration.

NOT FOULING. This should apply in Park and Pro AM. If you foul less than twice in a pro am game you should get a nice multiplier to your score or something. Fouling a lot shouldn't HURT your score unless you fouled out of course or its your foul that got a team in the bonus in the 4th but managing not to foul should get you some love.

Properly running a fast break or pick and roll as the ball handler. Even if you don't get a shot off properly running a fast break or pick and roll should get you a teammate grade boost.

Getting an assist is greatly rewarded I think its even better than a made shot but guess what that causes....A bunch of selfish ball hogs who only want to pass to people who will get them an assist. I think there should be way more things that are rewarded in 2k. Probably way more that need to be on here but I cant think of any. Anyone got any more ideas to make the game more teammate friendly? Apparently if you don't give people rewards for doing something they wont do it at all. Who would've thought?

Last edited by Housh123; 07-02-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2017, 11:04 PM   #2
Pro

Jesus_Swagglesworth's Arena

Re: How can 2k encourage players to play as a team in MyPark and MyGm?

Agreed w/everything. I think they just need to make the teammate grade punishments/rewards a lot more extreme. Good spacing should be the biggest grade boost, and bad spacing should be the biggest punishment. Even more than turnovers.

Also more boost ideas for defensive end:

Successful hedge
Successful switch
Successful recovery
Successful lane cut-off

If you've played pro am solo and had to carry random teammates, you've had to do all this^^ and you probably ended with a bad grade despite playing well lol
Old 07-03-2017, 02:20 AM   #3
Rookie

I don't think most randoms care about their grades as it stands, there needs to be harsher punishments if anything. Trigger a vote kick when they reach a D+ or lower rating, implement a matchmaking system with average teamgrade grade filters. I'd never play with someone if they can't average at least a B-
Old 07-03-2017, 07:37 AM   #4
Pro

BellSKA's Arena

There are some in-game fixes that need to occur before you can implement a system like this. Like when a user leaves and you're left with a BOT that adhere's to the next closest player. As an example. Pick N Roll occurs and you pick up the ball handler. The guard of the ball handler adjusts and takes your big. The CPU isn't smart enough to recognize that and also picks up the big. The BOTs user floats to a corner and gives up the open shot and if you're the closest player you lose teammate grade points even though you are currently guarding the ball handler from the PNR.

Another issue is magnetized players. There's even a post about how 2K makes the adjustment for us and our MyPlayer clings to the nearest player. If someone cuts to the hoop and as a big I'm already trying to guard the post, more often than not my big will lock on the cutter pulling me away from my post player. Once I unlock out of that situation I'm halfway between the cutter (who is being guarded by their original defender) and the big I've been trying to guard the whole time. There's more than enough space for them to score with ease or take an open mid range.

I fully agree that there are little additions that will better the game and make "some" users better to play with. But the mechanics of the game need to be beefed up first. And these are only a couple examples of when I lose teammate grade.
Old 07-03-2017, 07:46 AM   #5
Pro

I agree with you that solid fundamental basketball goes largely unrewarded, bad basketball all too often is rewarded, and changes are much needed.

2k (my career and badges) are 99.5% responsible for the terrible basketball and basketball IQ that this game and the community suffer from.
The other .5% is the lack of basketball knowledge and understanding of the sport by the average player.

2k teaches and encourages you, or the average player at least, to play bad basketball.

Think of what mycareer is, a button spamming (pick pocket, rim protector, ...), score as much and as fast as you can taking terrible shots (deadeye, limitless range, tireless scorer...), hold down the turbo button, put it on rookie, and change game speed to 100.

There's no basketball knowledge or fundamentals taught what-so-ever!

Not to mention that the stamina system was supposedly going to prevent dribble spamming and turbo spamming by making dribble moves and shooting less effective when tired.
But with the added tireless scorer badge, pick and roll maestro badge, limitless range badge, deep range deadeye badge, and attribute boosts, the stamina system only negatively affects the defender that looses all their stamina at a much faster rate for playing solid defense.

Badges, imo, are a huge part of the problems with this game.
If you are good at something you don't need a badge to increase your chances of being good at that thing!
Badges aren't for skilled advanced players, they are for unskilled average players and help eliminate whatever skill gap there should be.
They also encourage and reward unskilled average players to do dumb things because they have badges.

By teaching people to spam steals and dribble moves, take bad and contested shots, chase the ball and not play sound defense, and basically anything that mycareer teaches people, 2k has created a bad community of misinformed users.

I'm sorry if that seems off topic, I will attempt to bring it back now.

With the teaching that mycareer does to the average player and the rewards that they get for doing so, combined with the flawed teammate grade system, we as a community get what we've got.
Which is, a pg that will spam dribble moves behind two screens for 15 seconds, then pass the ball to a well defended teammate getting a positive boost to their teammate grade for a "good pass", "good ball movement", and maybe an assist from a bad well contested shot that goes in because of the boost they get for the deadeye badge combined with the hall of fame dimer badge and shot clock cheese.
Said pg with holding the ball, spamming dribble moves, terrible shooting, 6 turnovers, bad defense, and a loss, can still end up with a B teammate grade despite being the reason that their team lost.
I've seen it happen on many occasions.

Imo, 2k needs to fix the many flaws that they have intentionally put in the game before they can ever hope to have a good teammate grading system.

Sent from my 831C using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #6
Pro

Additionally with the archetype system, why is there even a need for badges?
You're an athletic finisher, do you really need badges when you're already supposed to excel at your archetype?

Old 07-03-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by awg811
Additionally with the archetype system, why is there even a need for badges?
You're an athletic finisher, do you really need badges when you're already supposed to excel at your archetype?

The badges help illustrate differences between two players with the same archetype. Your athletic finisher may have the same ratings and is physically measurable to mine, but if I took the time to grind out the HOF badges and you did not, that will be evident.

I think instead of rewarding players, they should punish them more often for not playing team ball.

The people who just stand there and watch you when you are trying to dribble and pass to an open man, they should get a teammate grade punishment for bad spacing or something to that effect. Failure to help on the pick and roll should be another one.

I tried to grind out some walk on games this weekend with my LDD PG. It's infuriating playing by yourself and trying to defend a sharpshooter but having to run through double screens every possession with no help from your teammates. Honestly it's one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever gone through and I'm not quite sure why I continue to do it to myself.

I just wish there was a football game that gave as much attention to the details and mechanics that 2K does. I could switch it up when the userbase of 2K gets me so down.
Old 07-03-2017, 10:08 AM   #8
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
The badges help illustrate differences between two players with the same archetype. Your athletic finisher may have the same ratings and is physically measurable to mine, but if I took the time to grind out the HOF badges and you did not, that will be evident.

I think instead of rewarding players, they should punish them more often for not playing team ball.

The people who just stand there and watch you when you are trying to dribble and pass to an open man, they should get a teammate grade punishment for bad spacing or something to that effect. Failure to help on the pick and roll should be another one.

I tried to grind out some walk on games this weekend with my LDD PG. It's infuriating playing by yourself and trying to defend a sharpshooter but having to run through double screens every possession with no help from your teammates. Honestly it's one of the worst gaming experiences I've ever gone through and I'm not quite sure why I continue to do it to myself.

I just wish there was a football game that gave as much attention to the details and mechanics that 2K does. I could switch it up when the userbase of 2K gets me so down.
TBH that time is wasted . There is a contact dunk rating . 2k should look into differentiating that more.

@AWG811. All great points bruh !
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »