Home

* What gaming monitor would you suggest for PS4 console ? *

This is a discussion on * What gaming monitor would you suggest for PS4 console ? * within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
* What gaming monitor would you suggest for PS4 console ? *

I have recently been researching gaming monitors and looking to buy one soon just for PS4 gaming. I heard having a gaming monitor helps be more competitive having less input lag and response rates. I am looking to spend less than $180 and would like to have low input lag and response time. I play mostly mlb the show and madden and sometimes a call of Duty. So what are your suggestions to what i should look to buy for the less than $180?

What monitor do you have and why? Or what are your suggestions for my budget and wants? Should I go TN or IPS panel? I have been looking between Asus and BenQ brands, but open to others if they a great option. Any input is appreciated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2017, 10:41 PM   #2
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Re: * What gaming monitor would you suggest for PS4 console ? *

Honestly as long as you have 4ms or less GtG response and an HDMI input you're good to go. The ps4 can't take advantage of more than that, unless you have a PS4 pro and want to use HDR.

As far as IPS vs TN, I always forget which one is which, but all that it really changes is viewing angles and reflections, so if your playing environment is already ideal (no direct sunlight, looking straight on at good range) then just get the cheaper option.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:41 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
Honestly as long as you have 4ms or less GtG response and an HDMI input you're good to go. The ps4 can't take advantage of more than that, unless you have a PS4 pro and want to use HDR.

As far as IPS vs TN, I always forget which one is which, but all that it really changes is viewing angles and reflections, so if your playing environment is already ideal (no direct sunlight, looking straight on at good range) then just get the cheaper option.

What about input lag, what should I try and keep that number under?
Old 08-10-2017, 12:03 PM   #4
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarlson33
What about input lag, what should I try and keep that number under?
There is a lot of confusion on what input lag is. While it's true it can be a real thing, most modern on brand TVs and monitors have so little input lag that it's negligible.

We often use "input lag" here on the forums as slang to mean "response time", which is what the 4ms GtG (grey to grey) was referring too. 4ms is the point of diminishing returns because it's estimated that humans can absorb, understand and react to visual information at a rate of (approximately) 24hrz.

I'd recommend going down to a 2ms GtG, but I can't promise you'll notice a difference at that point, especially since you're trying to save a few bucks.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:55 PM   #5
Pro

shark547's Arena

Make sure if you get one to change the settings on the PS4 for RBG from automatic to full. For some reason it doesn't work automatically with all monitors.

Made a huge difference for me!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2017, 04:29 AM   #6
Just started!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcarlson33
I have recently been researching gaming monitors and looking to buy one soon just for PS4 gaming. I heard having a gaming monitor helps be more competitive having less input lag and response rates. I am looking to spend less than $180 and would like to have low input lag and response time. I play mostly mlb the show and madden and sometimes a call of Duty. So what are your suggestions to what i should look to buy for the less than $180?

What monitor do you have and why? Or what are your suggestions for my budget and wants? Should I go TN or IPS panel? I have been looking between Asus and BenQ brands, but open to others if they a great option. Any input is appreciated!
Honestly speaking, I think you should increase your budget if you want to buy a quality monitor for gaming. And I suggest you buy IPS panel monitor with 144Hz refresh rate. But It is also not come in $180. So, Please increase your budget.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:23 PM   #7
MVP

mmorg's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landwater
Honestly speaking, I think you should increase your budget if you want to buy a quality monitor for gaming. And I suggest you buy IPS panel monitor with 144Hz refresh rate. But It is also not come in $180. So, Please increase your budget.
With the PS4 any refresh rate above 60 hz is overkill and a waste of money. The PS4 Pro maxes out at 60 FPS. If the refresh rate is above 60 hz it won't make much of a difference. If you are using the monitor for PC use and PC gaming as well you'll want a higher refresh rate. If not, don't waste the money.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »