Home

NHL 18 Features New Player Overall Rating Changes

This is a discussion on NHL 18 Features New Player Overall Rating Changes within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-24-2017, 07:24 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
NHL 18 Features New Player Overall Rating Changes

The NHL 18 team has made some changes to the player overall ratings this year, making...

Written By: Steve Noah

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Steve_OS; 08-24-2017 at 09:32 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-24-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
MVP

Al_Tito13's Arena

OVR: 13
Re: NHL 18 Features New Player Overall Rating Changes

Very good news! It was about time! More separation in player ratings was a must, so I'm really happy that it was finally integrated. I only hope though that the players differentiation will also be felt on the ice and not only showed on paper in the ratings.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:15 PM   #3
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

Good stuff. I was getting close to finishing the NHL player ratings for the Revamped Rosters, but now I'll have to make some adjustments. I have a feeling the overall formulas will be different this year, so hopefully someone can figure them out.

But I agree with Al_Tito - I hope we are able to feel the differences on the ice. I want to notice the difference when my 4th line is out there vs. my 1st line.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 08-25-2017, 07:49 AM   #4
Rookie

csamuelsvt's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al_Tito13
Very good news! It was about time! More separation in player ratings was a must, so I'm really happy that it was finally integrated. I only hope though that the players differentiation will also be felt on the ice and not only showed on paper in the ratings.
Exactly. The biggest thing to me is when I'm Crosby or McDavid, I want to feel like them on the ice and that they are a threat any time I have the puck with them. In the past when I've been Ovechkin for example, he's just felt like any other player.

Let's see if they finally nailed it this year. I honestly don't really remember feeling it in the beta, but we will see.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

I think the reason players feel bland is because the ratings are too similar within each section. I think strengths and weaknesses need to be more distinct -- based on real data and scouting/reputation -- to give players more character.

It shouldn't be uncommon to see a player with a good wrister, but weak slapper (Kessel) or vice versa (a lot of D-men). Nor should a player almost always have passing, puck control, and deking be the same. For me, many NHL-level defensemen today merit something like an 80-85 passing rating, but more like 75-80 control and 65-70 deking. And when it comes to awareness and defensive ratings, let's see long-time cagey vets with high AWR ratings -- and young players with lower ones (that improve over their career), particularly on DEF AWR. Drafted a slick, skilled rookie you want to play in NHL at 18? Better watch his minutes with his 60 DEF AWR, not to mention 65 STR & 70 END.

As for skating, while I can see having a fairly narrow range of ratings at the NHL level, you can still give the players more unique feel by varying the ACC/AGL/BAL ratings within those 20 or so points (75-95). Yeah, if 80 is average NHL speed, many players will be 80-85. But a PWF-type with 85SPD/75ACC/75AGL/90BAL will feel a lot different than a smaller, quicker guy with 85SPD/90ACC/80AGL/75BAL. Then try controlling McDavid with 95SPD/95ACC/90AGL/80BAL. Really, I could do this all day...

Anyway, the ratings brackets are encouraging and should help somewhat with franchise issues. But until there are more apparent strengths & weaknesses within the individual ratings, players will continue to feel too similar.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-25-2017, 12:14 PM   #6
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

It's a good and unexpected start. Enjoyed NHL 17 for all its warts, and actually like TPS . Looking forward to 18.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:47 PM   #7
MVP

Turbojugend's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_philanthropy
It's a good and unexpected start. Enjoyed NHL 17 for all its warts, and actually like TPS . Looking forward to 18.
Agreed. This is shaping up to be an improved version of 17, which is fine with me. Hopefully concepts such as player rating and separation bear fruit and aren't just advertised features that don't really impact gameplay.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:44 PM   #8
Banned

Peter_OS's Arena

OVR: 20
Well said Qb. I'll give this game a try this year, but I'm also looking forward to NHL 19 with the frostbite engine. Lets hope EA gets it right.

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »