Home

NHL 18 Player Ratings - Top 10 Right Wingers

This is a discussion on NHL 18 Player Ratings - Top 10 Right Wingers within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-27-2017, 04:03 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

EA has posted the overall player ratings for the top 10 right wingers in NHL 18....

Written By: Steve Noah

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-27-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: NHL 18 Player Ratings - Top 10 Right Wingers

Phil Kessel's slap shot power and accuracy LOL.
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 08-27-2017, 04:50 PM   #3
MVP

Simple Mathematics's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Phil Kessel's slap shot power and accuracy LOL.

I know Kessel, like other players, have varying slap shots and wrist shots. Some players have great wrist shots but bad slap shots, and other players are the opposite.

But I believe the simulation engine for things like Franchise Mode are determining stats based off attributes. So if it sees that Kessel has a bad slap shot, I think it would probably make Kessel score less goals than he would in real life.

This is why almost all of the players in the rosters I make have similar slap shots and wrist shots - so I would get accurate results in Franchise Mode. I think they just have to tweak their simulation engine a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by Simple Mathematics; 08-27-2017 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:32 PM   #4
MVP

bad_philanthropy's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
I know Kessel, like other players, have varying slap shots and wrist shots. Some players have great wrist shots but bad slap shots, and other players are the opposite.

But I believe the simulation engine for things like Franchise Mode are determining stats based off attributes. So if it sees that Kessel has a bad slap shot, I think it would probably make Kessel score less goals than he would in real life.

This is why almost all of the players in the rosters I make have similar slap shots and wrist shots - so I would get accurate results in Franchise Mode. I think they just have to tweak their simulation engine a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
I'd say I would want them to add traits into the game as a modifier for certain players, but I'm afraid adding another variable into the mix would screw things up.

Something like "quick snap" trait would not only give Kessel a unique animation for his wrister/snapper, and he would also favor it heavily vs slap shot. I think I saw him take two slappers (awful at that with his flexy jello stick) in his years with the Leafs.

It would have to be a pretty detailed implementation as you wouldn't want a guy like Crosby with an "elite backhand" trait to favor that type of shot over wrister or slapper.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:37 AM   #5
Qb
All Star

Qb's Arena

OVR: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Mathematics
Good point, and one I didn't consider when I edited players. If it doesn't already, perhaps OFF AWR could carry more weight in sim stats. Rookies could have good skill ratings but not pile up points until they "learn the pro game" and it might make a crafty old vet like Jagr more productive without having to goose his ratings.

Of course, this would require a progression system that allows for awareness to start low (aside from rare elite talent) and progress with experience. I think they could do something like that using an accomplishment system:
  • 82 games played = +5 OFF/DEF/POI (with a few more benchmarks so long-time vets are highly rated)
  • Win Richard/Art Ross = +5 OFF
  • Win Selke = +5 DEF
  • Win Norris = +5 OFF +5 DEF
  • Win the Cup = +5 OFF +5 DEF +10 POI

Or something like that, anyway. What were we talking about again, Top 10 RW?
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »