Home

2k dunking/layup controls input

This is a discussion on 2k dunking/layup controls input within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2017, 05:45 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 2
2k dunking/layup controls input

Not really sure about what to title the thread, but I was wondering what people thought about dunk attempt input on controls..let me explain.

So I've noticed when most people drive to the goal everyone attempts to dunk. I rarely see people specifically go for layups. most people attempt to dunk and when it doesn't happen you go into a contested layup.

personally I would like the game to attempt the dunk every time you use turbo. even if it's a miss 100% of the time. you use turbo you should go for the dunk and be penalized for the input if it's not in the correct situation. most people never attempt layups because there isn't much risk/reward. you go for a layup 50% chance it goes in, 50% you miss. or blocked (just an example)
you got for a dunk 100% chance it goes in, but if you get contact you just go to layup which is still 50/50. Most people just use turbo because the chances are way better regardless the outcome.
If 2k made every turbo a dunk attempt wit the input where there was a risk for doing it and the wrong time layups would actually be used on purpose more often. a lot of layup animations are never seen because most people just ride turbo.

what are you thoughts? should they make the input work and let the user make smarter choices, or keep it the same?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2017, 06:43 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: 2k dunking/layup controls input

This is very interesting. They should look into it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk
Old 09-08-2017, 07:17 AM   #3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1213
Not really sure about what to title the thread, but I was wondering what people thought about dunk attempt input on controls..let me explain.

So I've noticed when most people drive to the goal everyone attempts to dunk. I rarely see people specifically go for layups. most people attempt to dunk and when it doesn't happen you go into a contested layup.

personally I would like the game to attempt the dunk every time you use turbo. even if it's a miss 100% of the time. you use turbo you should go for the dunk and be penalized for the input if it's not in the correct situation. most people never attempt layups because there isn't much risk/reward. you go for a layup 50% chance it goes in, 50% you miss. or blocked (just an example)
you got for a dunk 100% chance it goes in, but if you get contact you just go to layup which is still 50/50. Most people just use turbo because the chances are way better regardless the outcome.
If 2k made every turbo a dunk attempt wit the input where there was a risk for doing it and the wrong time layups would actually be used on purpose more often. a lot of layup animations are never seen because most people just ride turbo.

what are you thoughts? should they make the input work and let the user make smarter choices, or keep it the same?
Keep it the same
Old 09-08-2017, 07:55 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1213

Completely agree.

I love finish drives with layups but since you use to beat the defender using turbo you always end triggering a dunk, then, as you said, dunk or contested animation.

Definitely better to let gamers choice how to end to the hoop, paying attention to where the contest arrives to conclude with opposite hand (or other counters).
Old 09-08-2017, 08:17 AM   #5
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16

Keep in mind turbo is the quickest way to beat the defense....help or otherwise. Although 2K has historically rewarded dunk attempts disproportionately (fouls and the high FG% you already mentioned) its not so much that people are trying to dunk everything as much as the game interpreting "dunk" when you turbo.

I always felt like turbo should translate to "strong move to the basket" and not necessarily dunk--i'd like a system based more on real-life tendency. Chris Paul for example has dunked less than 5 times since 2013. Turboing to the basket with him should rarely (if ever) result in him trying to mash on a guy.

I wrote a piece about it last year: http://spgmg.blogspot.com/2016/11/to...t-to-dunk.html
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2017, 01:12 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehindtheArc88
Keep it the same
just wondering what is your reasoning?
Old 09-08-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir
Keep in mind turbo is the quickest way to beat the defense....help or otherwise. Although 2K has historically rewarded dunk attempts disproportionately (fouls and the high FG% you already mentioned) its not so much that people are trying to dunk everything as much as the game interpreting "dunk" when you turbo.

I always felt like turbo should translate to "strong move to the basket" and not necessarily dunk--i'd like a system based more on real-life tendency. Chris Paul for example has dunked less than 5 times since 2013. Turboing to the basket with him should rarely (if ever) result in him trying to mash on a guy.

I wrote a piece about it last year: http://spgmg.blogspot.com/2016/11/to...t-to-dunk.html
turbo is used to get past defenders but it's not that hard to let go. just like the shot stick is used to shoot, but you still have to let go of it, to release your shot.

as far as chris paul, what I am saying is, just cuz he doesn't normally dunk doesn't mean the system shouldn't attempt it, I think it should be on the user to not attempt it.

I see what your saying about a forceful drive, but the control manuals say it's a dunk. so I feel it should attempt it.

not saying your wrong for your thoughts, or the way you interpret it, just my opinion 2k should let the onus be on the user, I think it could increase the skill gap. But maybe they don't, because casuals. it's not a game killer by any means, just something I've always wondered. also sometimes I don't want to get a layup I want to attempt a dunk regardless if I miss I want to try to kill someone if I try to
Old 09-08-2017, 01:19 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kushmir

Nice read on your blog

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »