Home

RBU17 version 2 w/ Custom Player Calculator

This is a discussion on RBU17 version 2 w/ Custom Player Calculator within the MLB The Show Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2017, 01:02 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
RBU17 version 2 w/ Custom Player Calculator

I have uploaded a newer version of the RBU utility (version 2.0). There is no real difference other than updated ratings. I made some minor changes, the most notable being that pitchers now have truer ratings with respect to their actual on-field performance. Previously, I had been trying to replicate SCEA's distributions with pitchers' batting ratings, but this causes some players to be rated somewhat higher than they actually performed. A minor change, but you'll notice more pitchers will be zeroed out.

I also readjusted the overall ratings calculations. I think I'm closer to the mark now.

Additionally, I am releasing a beta version of a custom player calculator based off the calculator I use for the RBU ratings. Instructions are contained therein but, in short, it rates players very closely to how my RBU calculator does, with some minor changes here and there. The major drawback is the lack of fielding calculations, however, I allow for direct input of ratings guided by the proper ranges found in the game. I hope you'll forgive this, my fielding calculations are far too involved to be able to work in what is aiming to be a more simplistic tool.

The utility allows you to export players into a table and also contains an input sheet similar to the one in the RBU utility to make data entry into the game a little easier.

Both utilities require Microsoft Excel with Visual Basic

RBU link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/e7hk5i...tw/RBU17v2.exe

Custom Player Calculator:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yfwydn...Calculator.rar

Post if you have questions.

Cheers,

JT

Last edited by JTommy67; 04-10-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2017, 01:34 AM   #2
MVP

Daonlyjmo7's Arena

Re: RBU17 version 2 w/ Custom Player Calculator

Wow.

One question: if we were making a roster, would we use the career tab or the one-year tab?
Old 09-15-2017, 08:28 AM   #3
Pro

Okay, you must be looking at the individual data file sheets.

You can certainly use this any way intended, but the career ratings are based on a player's lifetime averages. They are mostly there for fun or if someone were to want to do all-time teams or rosters. Now that you mention it I think I removed the quick-and-easy way to use career ratings in the utility. (I didn't think there was any interest.) Perhaps I'll add that back in...

SCEA's ratings are based on three-year averages. However, for the rosters they make, they're interested in projections (they release the roster before the season starts - so their ratings regress towards the mean slightly.) Single-year ratings will come closer to reproducing what happened in a given year, though, and I think that's probably the way to go if you're interested in that. though I can also see why someone might be interested in weighted, three-year averages.

If you load the RBU utility file you can set this up however you want, even assigning weights to individual seasons as you see fit. After you set your weights and years, just click the button and it will average the ratings for you.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:09 PM   #4
Pro

For anybody who has downloaded the player calculator, there was a problem affecting 2017 ratings which I just corrected. The link is updated.

Last edited by JTommy67; 09-15-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 09-15-2017, 08:20 PM   #5
MVP

Daonlyjmo7's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTommy67
Okay, you must be looking at the individual data file sheets.

You can certainly use this any way intended, but the career ratings are based on a player's lifetime averages. They are mostly there for fun or if someone were to want to do all-time teams or rosters. Now that you mention it I think I removed the quick-and-easy way to use career ratings in the utility. (I didn't think there was any interest.) Perhaps I'll add that back in...

SCEA's ratings are based on three-year averages. However, for the rosters they make, they're interested in projections (they release the roster before the season starts - so their ratings regress towards the mean slightly.) Single-year ratings will come closer to reproducing what happened in a given year, though, and I think that's probably the way to go if you're interested in that. though I can also see why someone might be interested in weighted, three-year averages.

If you load the RBU utility file you can set this up however you want, even assigning weights to individual seasons as you see fit. After you set your weights and years, just click the button and it will average the ratings for you.
Ahhh thank you!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2018, 01:32 PM   #6
Rookie

Does anyone have a current link to the roster utility? The one listed in this thread is a dead link.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #7
MVP

JaFFiTh's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbler
Does anyone have a current link to the roster utility? The one listed in this thread is a dead link.
yep same here
Old 04-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #8
td7
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTommy67
I have uploaded a newer version of the RBU utility (version 2.0). There is no real difference other than updated ratings. I made some minor changes, the most notable being that pitchers now have truer ratings with respect to their actual on-field performance. Previously, I had been trying to replicate SCEA's distributions with pitchers' batting ratings, but this causes some players to be rated somewhat higher than they actually performed. A minor change, but you'll notice more pitchers will be zeroed out.

I also readjusted the overall ratings calculations. I think I'm closer to the mark now.

Additionally, I am releasing a beta version of a custom player calculator based off the calculator I use for the RBU ratings. Instructions are contained therein but, in short, it rates players very closely to how my RBU calculator does, with some minor changes here and there. The major drawback is the lack of fielding calculations, however, I allow for direct input of ratings guided by the proper ranges found in the game. I hope you'll forgive this, my fielding calculations are far too involved to be able to work in what is aiming to be a more simplistic tool.

The utility allows you to export players into a table and also contains an input sheet similar to the one in the RBU utility to make data entry into the game a little easier.

Both utilities require Microsoft Excel with Visual Basic

RBU link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/dc5lc...7o/RBU17v2.exe

Custom Player Calculator:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/yfwydn...Calculator.rar

Post if you have questions.

Cheers,

JT
For some reason, the Mediafire link isn't working?
You play fast! You play strong! You go out there and dominate the man you're playing against, and you make his *ss quit! That's our trademark! That's our M.O. as a team! That's what people know us as! - Nick Saban

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show > MLB The Show Rosters »