Home

Has the Live demo impacted your 2K impressions?

This is a discussion on Has the Live demo impacted your 2K impressions? within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2017, 02:32 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Has the Live demo impacted your 2K impressions?

Hey guys I was curious to see if anyone else's impression of 2K has been impacted by the NBA Live Demo? This thread isn't meant to bash either game. The NBA Live demo was refreshing for me despite lacking the depth and polish of NBA 2K. Live feels unpredictable in a good way and star players truly impact the games at an elite level. With that being said, there are too many issues for me to justify purchasing the game this year.

As for 2K18 I absolutely love how smoothly the game plays. Unfortunately there are a couple things that are starting to bother me and I am wondering if anyone has a recommended solution? One of the biggest complaints about 2K from users on this forum is the inconsistency in shot making. Elite shooters cannot make the same shots that they make in real life. I have learned to accept this because I find it WAY too easy to get open looks against the CPU regardless of the difficulty. I play on Hall of Fame and typically have AI defensive awareness and on-ball defense at 100. The biggest problem is that the CPU overreacts to triple threat hesitation and size-up moves. When I call for a pick all I need to do is pivot in the Triple Threat and watch how the defense reacts. Most of the time the CPU will pre-rotate before I even make a move. This results in easy ball movement and I usually end up with an open 3 or layup/dunk. The problem is at its worst when calling for a screen in the corner.

This issue brings me back to NBA Live. I find that a couple of slider tweaks were able to bring balance and variety to offense. Nothing is guaranteed and I enjoy the variety from game to game. If stars could make contested shots in 2K then the game would be too easy regardless of the difficulty.

Does anyone have any good ideas to improve the variety of scoring in 2K18? I would like to tinker with ratings/sliders to improve contested shot making. Unfortunately I can't do this until it becomes more difficult to execute the pick & roll/pops. Is there a fundamental slider that I can change to rectify the issue?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2017, 02:37 PM   #2
MVP

Re: Has the Live demo impacted your 2K impressions?

Yes.

It honestly made me thank God that 2k exists.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:45 PM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauer4MVP
Yes.

It honestly made me thank God that 2k exists.
Live is far from a finished product and I didn't buy it. However, NBA 2K is definitely entering repetitive territory when it comes to strategy against the CPU. It's way too easy to abuse the AI with the pick & roll/pop. The pre-rotating and overreaction to hesitation moves is something I can't figure out. Typically I need to lower shooting sliders on Hall of Fame to compensate for easy dunks/layups.

On the defensive end the right analog stick is too effective at contesting shots regardless of ratings. Usually I can just chase defenders around screens and close on them right as they catch the ball. Sliders definitely help with this to an extent but I find the AI too easy to predict.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:46 PM   #4
Rookie

MoodMuzik's Arena

OVR: 0

It was a fun hold-me-over until 2k came out.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »