Home

Performance Hints?

This is a discussion on Performance Hints? within the NBA 2K PC Forum forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-17-2017, 12:14 PM   #1
Rookie

modog123's Arena

OVR: 3
Performance Hints?

I can't seem to get 2K to run well on my system. It's not top of the line anymore (I can't afford a $800 graphics card) but I have an Nvidia 960 that's good enough to get solid framerates on most AAA games I play such as GTA V, Fifa, and the PES18 demo. But for whatever reason I get stuttering and missed frames and really poor performance out of all of the 2K basketball games I've tried, even when lowering the graphics settings. Anyone have any settings or changes that you've made that made a big difference in the game's smoothness?

Tessie - Dropkick Murphys
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #2
MVP

Azamien's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: Performance Hints?

Quote:
Originally Posted by modog123
I can't seem to get 2K to run well on my system. It's not top of the line anymore (I can't afford a $800 graphics card) but I have an Nvidia 960 that's good enough to get solid framerates on most AAA games I play such as GTA V, Fifa, and the PES18 demo. But for whatever reason I get stuttering and missed frames and really poor performance out of all of the 2K basketball games I've tried, even when lowering the graphics settings. Anyone have any settings or changes that you've made that made a big difference in the game's smoothness?
Try turning off special effects (motion blur, volumetric lighting, depth of field, etc.) Those quickly eat up mid-range cards. Last year they had a toggle for turning all of the on/off at once, but they didn't see fit this year.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:47 PM   #3
CEO - BSG Network

Behindshadows's Arena

OVR: 50

Not sure brother, maybe you need to get an AMD Card!!!!

I'm running AMD FX 9590 with RX 560 and it's Ultra Settings with over 120fps sometimes higher!!! Game is smooth as butter.
Old 09-17-2017, 03:08 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 4

Use your Nvidia control panel for graphic settings. Turn everything low in game and use Nvidia for everything.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2017, 10:01 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by modog123
You didn't say what type of processor you're running. .it is a AMD cpu with an NVIDIA GPU?

How much ram do you have...if you have 8 or less I'd do what the other posted suggested turn off special effects..if that doesn't work..lower the resolution...if that doesn't work..you either need to update your video card Driver or wait for NVIDIA to release a driver..or a profile for it.

I'm running an i7 AMD r9 290x. 16 GB runs beautuful, but I have seen when people mix AMD cpu with NVIDIA card they do have problems they need to be addressed via driver.

Are you using the frame rate counter on steam? Any specific times that it dips.. also try changing camera angles..see if that helps...read a few places on steam some were complaining that one of the cameras slowed down their p.c ...

Hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Operation Sports mobile app
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2017, 03:39 PM   #6
Rookie

Istanbul's Arena

OVR: 0

In 16th september, at first time i've played the game, the framerate and stuttering issues never happened.But after that i have expreinced these problems i dont know why.I didnt change anything.My driver is up to date.

Everything is high except media+crowd, they're low.Hair is medium.Ambient+reflections are off, rest of them are on.AA is 2x.As i say i played with these and had no problem at 16-17th september.It seems like it's getting worse day by day...

my specs: i7 6700hq, gtx 960m 2 gb vram, 8 gb ram.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Istanbul
In 16th september, at first time i've played the game, the framerate and stuttering issues never happened.But after that i have expreinced these problems i dont know why.I didnt change anything.My driver is up to date.

Everything is high except media+crowd, they're low.Hair is medium.Ambient+reflections are off, rest of them are on.AA is 2x.As i say i played with these and had no problem at 16-17th september.It seems like it's getting worse day by day...

my specs: i7 6700hq, gtx 960m 2 gb vram, 8 gb ram.
I'm going to check, game debate I have an account and account there. While the card might be sufficient, 2gb of ram..isn't much ideally 4 gm vra is needed when running at higher settings..

You have a m after your processor..assuming it's mobile. .this is a laptop. ..obviously. .also 8 GB RAM ..is cutting it close.. because it depends what type of ram you're running.. ddr3 ddr4..what speed.

What is disturbing that you could run fine for a few days..obviously their update broke system (nothing new here).

Only thing until I check game debate ..is think the update messed it up..you could delete it.. download again without the patch.....or maybe download off a torrent legally ..the preload..and use that until they remedy it...

Just throwing stuff out there.. best option is to wait..for a new fix..or sometimes..they hot fix it..or they release a new driver...sometimes when a game is extremely laggy.

Pretty sure you can preload off a legal torrent..and play if you have to..but don't know how far you've gone into my carer or anything like that.

I'm in a but of a animal crisis right now..so might take me a bit to get back to you.,but there's a site called canirunit and game-debate,it can literally scan your system and tell you if there's a problem with your specs.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 09-20-2017, 05:17 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

If you want to hate this port at 60 FPS, do this:

Your option file is here:
C:\Users\[yourwindowsnamehere!]\AppData\Roaming\2K Sports\NBA 2K18

Edit VideoSettings.cfg
Add this line somewhere:
"EFFECTLOD": 1,
This seems to have some effect.

Change
"ABOVE_NORMAL_PRIORITY": 2,
Change it from 1 to 2. This used to make a big difference in 2k16+17, so it can't be bad.

Other than that: Wait for
"MEDIAPEOPLELOD": 3,
"CROWDLOD": 3,
to work properly. At the moment there seems to be no way to turn off the crowd entirely (Last year setting LOD to 3 turned off the crowd, this year there's no effect). This will be a major difference on some systems. Other than that: Buy a console. NBA 2k on PC sucks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K PC Forum »