Home

Offline CFM: How far did you make it?

This is a discussion on Offline CFM: How far did you make it? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-19-2017, 12:27 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Offline CFM: How far did you make it?

So after many failed attempts at starting an offline CFM. Mostly due to CPU AI cutting guys like Joe Mixon, or ATL trading Coleman for scraps. (Not even my teams and it makes me not want to play it)

I finally set up a 32 team control. And got through preseason.

I started as the Jets owner, with full intentions of simming year 1, and then "firing" Todd Bowels, by replacing him with myself.

All well and good.

Fast forward after a solid offseason, even if I did miss out on a QB in the draft (traded for Davis Webb after NYG signed Garopollo in FA)

I get to preseason and start working on sliders. Basically the only reason I play preseason.

Going into week 4 I think I'm pretty solid slider wise. And am about to start the game to make sure.

And I just don't feel like it.

Because what's the point?

I play it. Then advance. Then play another game. Then another.

Blaaaaaaaaaah.

Madden's Franchise mode was never super story driven in the past.

But why do I feel so mind numbingly bored with it now?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2017, 12:42 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Offline CFM: How far did you make it?

I didn't even start it up as I didn't get Madden this year. Franchise mode lost it's luster to me a couple of years ago when they went with the XP model and made it incredibly easy to draft due to scouting being so overpowered. The twitter updates and all of the news stories were cool and I love that kind of immersion, but I absolutely cannot stand the current progression system or the way scouting and the draft works. I don't want to be that in control of a player progressing. I don't like progression being so tied to stats. To keep it simple I want to draft someone with a high ceiling and let the numbers behind the scenes dictate if they pan out or not. I don't want to have more knowledge in this game than I'd have if I was a real GM/coach. A huge part of team building is finding that magical combination that all came together at the right time. When you already know you can just progress everyone how you want and busts are basically eliminated from the mode, then the GM side of franchise mode is ultimately killed and that kills the entire franchise mode for me.

― Plato
Old 09-19-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
Pro

Lexicon's Arena

OVR: 16

Because you know this story well. We all do. If you're not enjoying playing the games, that's the only real thing to enjoy in FM.

And this is why gameplay isn't everything for me. I could be perfectly happy playing Madden 17 and just continue playing my franchise I have going in that. The improvements aren't enough to justify moving over to the new game, and that's not even considering how bad a state offline FM is in Madden 18 right now.

Last edited by Lexicon; 09-19-2017 at 02:03 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-19-2017, 01:50 PM   #4
MVP

OVR: 15

I make it 5-7 years depending on how I play. I enjoy the game play for the most part, although I hate CPU playcalling and I'm too lazy to controll all 32 teams and then fix a bunch of playbook.

My biggest fault is I eventually breakdown and create a super team by year 4 and then by year 6 I'm bored and barely make it past year 7.

Just started a new franchise where I'm swearing that I won't break the game.
Old 09-19-2017, 02:28 PM   #5
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13

I started a week 1 game last night. Jags at Texans. I had worked through roster issues, sliders, excessive penalty issues, and was hoping to really dive in. Then 2 things happened:

1. I realized why I love playing fifa online and off and why I struggle to play madden offline. The crowd. Online (h2h) madden, I'm focused so it's not a huge deal. But offline, I need immersion.

First downs, touchdowns, turnovers, there's just no crowd. In fifa the crowd explodes. In madden, nothing. No chants, few boos, just blah.

2. So I'm driving for a td and I'm just inside the redzone. I've called a corner route for the TE and get the look I want. It's zone, but he's going to be 1v1 on the SS. Just as the TE is about to cross the face of the SS, I fire a pass to the corner. A sure td.

Until the TE hit a wall. Literally. Inexplicably, his motion is stopped and he flails backwards a yard or 2. The SS did not make contact. He just ran into an invisible wall at full speed. And the CPU knew it. And here's the quirk: the CPU anticipated it. Watching the replay you can see the qb start the throwing motion (button press) while my TE is running. A step later he hits the wall. Ball flew out of the corner of the end zone, right? No. Not only did the ball not go the corner, but it to where my TE ended up-which was 2 yards inside of where he was when I threw it. So the balls flight path was aligned with where my TE was after stumbling backwards. TE arms flailing, the SS picks it and kneels. Nice.

Then I played fifa.

Be Good Or Be Gone
Sent from Galaxy S8+
GT roll2tide
Let's play Madden or Fifa!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-19-2017, 03:04 PM   #6
Banned

SteelD34KC's Arena

Just got through game one last night. My almost all rookie defense, Jalen Ramsey being the only non rookie. Got 8 sacks, 2 pick sixs.

I threw two picks, one was basically right to the MLB on a slant. My bad for sure.

The second though was a deep out. I throw the ball high, lofting it over coverage. The LB, with a 72 jump, and 59 catch leaps literally 10 yards in the air and picks it off.

I mean I won the game, and it seemed fun. But I know that If I continue to get 8 sacks a game Im just done.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #7
Banned

SteelD34KC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by roll2tide
I started a week 1 game last night. Jags at Texans. I had worked through roster issues, sliders, excessive penalty issues, and was hoping to really dive in. Then 2 things happened:

1. I realized why I love playing fifa online and off and why I struggle to play madden offline. The crowd. Online (h2h) madden, I'm focused so it's not a huge deal. But offline, I need immersion.

First downs, touchdowns, turnovers, there's just no crowd. In fifa the crowd explodes. In madden, nothing. No chants, few boos, just blah.

2. So I'm driving for a td and I'm just inside the redzone. I've called a corner route for the TE and get the look I want. It's zone, but he's going to be 1v1 on the SS. Just as the TE is about to cross the face of the SS, I fire a pass to the corner. A sure td.

Until the TE hit a wall. Literally. Inexplicably, his motion is stopped and he flails backwards a yard or 2. The SS did not make contact. He just ran into an invisible wall at full speed. And the CPU knew it. And here's the quirk: the CPU anticipated it. Watching the replay you can see the qb start the throwing motion (button press) while my TE is running. A step later he hits the wall. Ball flew out of the corner of the end zone, right? No. Not only did the ball not go the corner, but it to where my TE ended up-which was 2 yards inside of where he was when I threw it. So the balls flight path was aligned with where my TE was after stumbling backwards. TE arms flailing, the SS picks it and kneels. Nice.

Then I played fifa.

Be Good Or Be Gone
Sent from Galaxy S8+
GT roll2tide
Let's play Madden or Fifa!
It happens to defenders as well. I had one play where I wanted to hit Corey Davis in the corner of the end zone.

Perfect route, shucked the CB out of press coverage. Perfect throw, but the CB was STILL RIGHT THERE. I mean either one of them could have gotten this ball.

BUT, the CB hit a wall, stopped and looked as the pass went over his head into Corey's hands.

I took it and went on. But man, when are they going to get this stuff right?
Old 09-19-2017, 06:19 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm at week 2 in year two. My first game of the season featured a combined 11 turnovers, hopefully that isn't the norm

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »