Home

Should the overhand be considered a basic strike?

This is a discussion on Should the overhand be considered a basic strike? within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #1
EA Game Changer

ZHunter1990's Arena

OVR: 0
Should the overhand be considered a basic strike?

Last UFC FN, the first 3 preliminary fights ended via KO/tko from overhand variations. I would even say its thrown more often than uppercuts recently.

In every past UFC game the overhand has competed with other strikes for the same input. Meaning a fighter could not have a superman punch/ducking hook AND an overhand on that same side.

Now my opinion is that the overhand should have its own input for every fighter, just like jabs, straights, hooks ,uppercuts.

If a fighter doesnt throw them often, the overhand for them should just be really bad instead of not having it at all.

Anyone agree, disagree?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
Dave

Dave_S's Arena

Re: Should the overhand be considered a basic strike?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZHunter1990
Last UFC FN, the first 3 preliminary fights ended via KO/tko from overhand variations. I would even say its thrown more often than uppercuts recently.

In every past UFC game the overhand has competed with other strikes for the same input. Meaning a fighter could not have a superman punch/ducking hook AND an overhand on that same side.

Now my opinion is that the overhand should have its own input for every fighter, just like jabs, straights, hooks ,uppercuts.

If a fighter doesnt throw them often, the overhand for them should just be really bad instead of not having it at all.

Anyone agree, disagree?
Preaching to the choir. I think albert or whatever once suggested EA make the lead strike being the more default superman and letting all fighters have rear overhand.

I agree 100%. For the most part I won't pick fighters in ufc 2 that don't have the overhand.
Old 09-20-2017, 09:01 PM   #3
Rookie

I consider the overhand right a basic strike. Sure it's incredibly powerful on some fighters, but so is the straight, i.e. Conor.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:29 AM   #4
MVP

Yes. The spinning body kick over riding the standard body kick needs to go also.
Old 09-21-2017, 10:56 PM   #5
MVP

manliest_Man's Arena

Maybe give variety to the strikes to allow this: "Press The Button for light strike" & "Hold the button for hard strike" ?

I want to be able to throw a fast calf kick, but also an oblique kick.

I want to throw a normal Rear Head Kick, but i want to hold the button to switch it up to a Question mark kick.

I wanna throw a weak jab to set-up my other strike, but i also want to throw a powerful jab to halt my opponent's strike.

Sometimes i wanna throw a strike that will take my opponent's head clean off! but other times i just want to make sure i connect and tag them with a light fast strike, to keep em thinking.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-22-2017, 12:00 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by manliest_Man
Maybe give variety to the strikes to allow this: "Press The Button for light strike" & "Hold the button for hard strike" ?

I want to be able to throw a fast calf kick, but also an oblique kick.

I want to throw a normal Rear Head Kick, but i want to hold the button to switch it up to a Question mark kick.

I wanna throw a weak jab to set-up my other strike, but i also want to throw a powerful jab to halt my opponent's strike.

Sometimes i wanna throw a strike that will take my opponent's head clean off! but other times i just want to make sure i connect and tag them with a light fast strike, to keep em thinking.
I completely agree with this. I think there's a big issue with how limited fighter move-sets are in the game compared to in real life. Of course, it's not going to be possible to include every variation of every strike for each fighter, but I think we could have more than we have now. The idea of holding the button for a stronger strike sounds like a great idea to me.
Old 09-23-2017, 01:52 AM   #7
Pro

I agree it should be used as a basic strike. I've said it before, the control changes from EA UFC 1 to EA UFC 2 changed up alot of things for what strikes fighters could have or not. EA UFC 1 had both a technique modifier and a power modifier button. The control scheme and strikes they allow as default strikes on the move list definitely has an effect on what we can and can't do in the game.

Realistically if EA keeps a control set up similar to it's last two games I wouldn't mind if they added strike variations for dashing strikes like UFC Undisputed and EA MMA had. But I still would rather have a striking system and button striking control setup more close to Fight Night that way I can move or dash in any direction and throw the strike I want instead of having to be forced to throw an uppercut just because I was walking away. Or being forced to throw hooks just because I'm walking forward. Moving while striking that's one of the main differences in striking with Fight Night's control scheme vs EA UFC/UFC Undisputed's controls for striking.

Don't get me wrong the UFC Undisputed type of striking controls in EA UFC 2 is not bad, it just doesn't flow like Fight Night does. Because Fight Nights strikes aren't changed based off if you're pressing forward or backwards. In no way shape or form am I saying anything about stick striking from fight night. I'm talking about the button striking scheme Fight Night uses. It would be like playing Fight Night with a kick/ knee button modifier, and also a technique modifier.

We don't need two block buttons for blocking, if Fight Night 2004- Fight Night Round 4 was able to control high and low block off one modifier trigger button + up or down motions on the right stick for blocking then so can a MMA game. Also with the block button clinch blocking and takedowns could still be denied with the same trigger, just move the direction for those denials to holding block and then pressing forward or backwards on the right stick.

And if they don't want to go the route to give us a fight night type button striking scheme with kick/ technique modifiers.
Then at least remap blocking back to one button + the right stick(Fight Night Round 4 style) so it free's up a button to allow us to have a power modifer button again.
Old 09-24-2017, 08:11 AM   #8
Rookie

Remapping the flying strikes, Superman punches and other momentum strikes to dashing / lunging strikes would be a good way to do it, like EA MMA did. Dash with LS + L1 and then punch or kick with or without a modifier for a lunging or flying strike : ducking hook, H-Bomb, flying knee... that would free some inputs for over hands and more regular strikes.

But that wouldn't solve the spinning back kick issue though.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »