Home

Context-Sensitive Passing Is Heavenly This Season

This is a discussion on Context-Sensitive Passing Is Heavenly This Season within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-20-2017, 11:07 PM   #1
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40
Context-Sensitive Passing Is Heavenly This Season

I'm a person who has relied on icon passing for longer than I can remember in NBA 2K. I simply have never trusted the context-sensitive passing enough, but I think this year I finally have found the faith.

I'm sure some of you were already really good at it, or got good at analog passing etc., but this play above to me is special. The defense makes the rotations it has to in order to not give up the dunk on the diving roll man, and that means the skip pass is there.

In the past, I would have never thrown this pass without icon passing because the roll man and the man in the corner are on the same plane. Sometimes the pass would have gotten to the corner, but it was never what I felt a guarantee. Icon passing would get the ball there, but generally speaking, opening the icons takes that extra split second that ends up costing you at points.

Here, though, I simply hold down the pass button rather than tap it, and what a delight, the skip pass to the corner for the three-point splash. The hold vs. tap is a game changer.

(PS, Kyrie would tell you he ALWAYS makes that pass. Kyrie would be lying.)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-20-2017, 11:13 PM   #2
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Context-Sensitive Passing Is Heavenly This Season

Unfortunately, a lot of people aren't going to even know that it is in the game and will miss out, but yeah, it's money.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:36 PM   #3
Rookie

hyretic's Arena

OVR: 0

I really like how intuitive it is too. Sometimes when 2K makes changes to the controls there's a real adjustment period for me, but I took to this immediately. Really good idea/implementation.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:48 PM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 5

Embarrassed to ask, but what is context sensitive passing?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:57 PM   #5
Rookie

yungmeaks's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaveliLPC
Based on the context of what's going on in that play, the game detects who you mean to pass it to.

In reference to the first vid OP posted:

Quote:
In the past, I would have never thrown this pass without icon passing because the roll man and the man in the corner are on the same plane
So while he's pushing the analog stick in the direction of the roll man, the corner man who is wide open is also in the same stick direction. Since the corner man defender went to help on the roll man, 2k I assume has a system that determines the corner man is more open and the pass makes more sense, thus passes to him instead.

Don't know if that helps any, but I hope.

Anyways, yes!

This has been heavenly for me as a PG on MyCareer. Just started noticing it two days ago
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-21-2017, 12:00 AM   #6
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaveliLPC
It's two-fold in this case as it's based on who you're pushing the analog stick towards, and then how long you hold the pass button determines the near or far receiver it will pas to. The game is contextually aware enough to recognize these two elements and realize who you mean to pass to -- all with some relatively basic inputs.

Hope that helps!
Old 09-21-2017, 02:23 AM   #7
All Star

Smirkin Dirk's Arena

OVR: 6

Yep. As an icon passer, Ill be spending a few weeks re-training my muscle memory as Im still pressing icon pass when my brain is saying hold the button.
Old 09-21-2017, 02:33 AM   #8
Rookie

drustrk3's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseB

I'm a person who has relied on icon passing for longer than I can remember in NBA 2K. I simply have never trusted the context-sensitive passing enough, but I think this year I finally have found the faith.

I'm sure some of you were already really good at it, or got good at analog passing etc., but this play above to me is special. The defense makes the rotations it has to in order to not give up the dunk on the diving roll man, and that means the skip pass is there.

In the past, I would have never thrown this pass without icon passing because the roll man and the man in the corner are on the same plane. Sometimes the pass would have gotten to the corner, but it was never what I felt a guarantee. Icon passing would get the ball there, but generally speaking, opening the icons takes that extra split second that ends up costing you at points.

Here, though, I simply hold down the pass button rather than tap it, and what a delight, the skip pass to the corner for the three-point splash. The hold vs. tap is a game changer.

(PS, Kyrie would tell you he ALWAYS makes that pass. Kyrie would be lying.)
Man I didn't even know this was possible because I would never try anything OTHER than icon passing. Great post.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »