Home

iRacing after 9+ years

This is a discussion on iRacing after 9+ years within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-28-2017, 06:40 PM   #1
MVP

kneebon5's Arena

OVR: 15
iRacing after 9+ years

I figured it was time for a new "intro" into iRacing as I did 7 years ago here:
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...r-2-years.html

So, I have been a member of iRacing for 9 years now, which is crazy to think of being on one game for that long. I now have 760 Oval Starts and 307 Road Starts, which compared to my previous 2+ year post, I haven't done a whole lot of racing it seems like.

Its amazing to look back at that thread to see what I thought was cool, new, and amazing, and look at how far we have come since then. After four years of attempting my team "The Team" finally picked up our first 24 hour race win this January. Hopefully next year we will be doing it with day to night transitions, which will make it all that more tricky.

The huge amount of content that has been added over the last 7 years is amazing. Everything NASCAR is in, except for the Ford Truck, which is really not even factory supported. They have the big names with Porsche, Ferrari, Honda McLaren's 2016 F1 with an engine that can finish a whole race. The biggest thing though is Dirt, and man did they come hard with the dirt, Sprints (Wing / Non), Late Models, Street Stocks, Legends, Trucks, and Modifieds. USAC, WoO and DirtCar are all involved and they just announced the next 6 tracks coming after Knoxville. Rally Cross is next to be out before December!

Dirt was finally pursed by the dev team after they got their "live track" working. The tracks heat is based on color, rubber, shadows, friction of the cars, etc... Which will only become more apparent with time change and weather. The lines on the ovals change based on where people are running, and you are searching for the cool lines. On dirt, the tracks are amazing how they come in, slick off, and the lines push towards the wall until you cant hit the cushion without hitting the wall. It is beyond amazing how it feels to search for a line chasing someone down.

There is so much to talk about, and a lot coming, which it always seems like there is a lot coming down the road. It is easy for iRacing to get lost among the new releases, since a new name isn't placed on it every time they update it.

I can't list all of the cars and tracks but they have a nice page that shows them all

http://www.iracing.com/cars/

http://www.iracing.com/tracks/

Video of my first UMP Modified Race at Lanier
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCypVPiMU_4

Is everyone else still going? Slowing down? Took a break?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-28-2017, 08:27 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

superjames1992's Arena

OVR: 40
Re: iRacing after 9+ years

I haven't raced in awhile. I need to get back into it soon. I got an oculus rift awhile back which is really cool, but also makes it that much more of a pain in the butt to get set up to race. Kind of a double-edged sword.
Old 09-29-2017, 09:36 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 5

I haven't been racing near as much either. Just too many things to do, and not enough time in a day. I am disappointed though that it seems iracing no longer offers their 50% off renewal, bogo renewal, etc. I keep just renewing for like three months waiting for that type of offer, but never get it. Now I did get a 25% off offer to renew. I'm thinking about going ahead and biting be bullet to renew with that.
Old 09-29-2017, 10:14 AM   #4
MVP

jct32's Arena

OVR: 17

I'm currently on a break as I get ready to move. Before I stopped I was really hitting my stride in the 410 sprint cars. I won two races at Eldora on August 11th in them. The last time I ran an official race in the 410s.

I just don't have time to run this right now. When I move and get a rig setup I will get back into it but I'm missing it. I have a Fanatec 1.5 base, Fanatec CSE pedals, and an Oculus Rift. I'm looking forward to the day I can sling mud again. I really want to try out Lanier on dirt since it is something different than the already existing dirt tracks.
Old 09-29-2017, 05:27 PM   #5
MVP

kneebon5's Arena

OVR: 15

Its been a while since I ran an official dirt race, hope they get the dirt license soon, tired of the paved guys over 4000 iR being terrible.

I need to get back into racing a lot, hopefully with heat races coming that will draw me back in.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-02-2017, 04:20 PM   #6
MVP

jct32's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneebon5
Its been a while since I ran an official dirt race, hope they get the dirt license soon, tired of the paved guys over 4000 iR being terrible.

I need to get back into racing a lot, hopefully with heat races coming that will draw me back in.
Yeah, I'm really looking forward to the heat races. One of my favorite parts about dirt racing.
Old 10-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #7
Rookie

joshdasquash's Arena

OVR: 0

I just built a new PC, and I have been doing some races the last few weeks. Really want to find a good league with a few different series available. Maybe a C/B/A oval cars, and a couple of road series i can get into.
Old 10-09-2017, 11:32 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 10

I haven't raced in probably a year + and my subscription expired (I think... it must have lol)

I got to the point where I was always too worried about wrecking and hurting my and others ratings that I was never pushing or trying to win races, so it took the fun out of things. Maybe I'll get back into it someday, I still have thousands of dollars into it between the pc and the equipment I bought over the years to play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »