Home

Good Release vs Slightly Early/Late

This is a discussion on Good Release vs Slightly Early/Late within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-05-2017, 09:56 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
Good Release vs Slightly Early/Late

Usually a lurker and not a poster here, and I saw a bit of this discussion in the thread on shooting percentages on open 3's, but I thought it merited it's own discussion/thread.

I know I'm not the only one who has found that "good" is actually seemingly the worst release you could get. I feel like I have a much better chance of making my jumper with "slightly early" or "slightly late" than good.

In my most recent game, I've just started trying to get slightly early, as that seems like the best (besides excellent, which gives me a high chance of getting "good" and the guaranteed miss).

What is going on here?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-05-2017, 09:58 PM   #2
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Good Release vs Slightly Early/Late

Turn it off. You'll be more happier. I promise you! Stopping worrying about releases.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 10-05-2017, 10:03 PM   #3
Rookie

I've turned off the meter, but you might be right, turning all feedback off might be next.
Old 10-06-2017, 08:03 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

"Good" is indeed the worst feedback that you can receive for your shot, but that doesn't mean that you should try to time it early. The issue appears to be related to green releases, when you have a high enough shooting attribute, good release timing becomes essentially green or miss ("good"). Still, your global shooting % should be better than releasing it early or late.

https://www.nba2klab.com/other/
Old 10-06-2017, 08:35 AM   #5
Rookie

To me, turning off the feedback is a no go because I still need to know when the shot is actually being released at the right point.

I'll turn the meter off, because I feel the meter really can throw your perception off, but the feedback is the only thing that tells me if my release point is off.

If we are going to play this game where shooters are playing percentages primarily and not their attributes, we need better feedback.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-06-2017, 10:00 AM   #6
Rookie

Most of my slightly late and good releases always go in less than slightly early. I think some of the "Good" releases are actually very slightly late releases. Last year you were more punished more slightly late releases than slightly early (per Dev twitter... I'd have to dig it up on Beluba's twitter)
Old 10-06-2017, 10:05 AM   #7
MVP

ViolenceFight's Arena

I turn the meter off, and time it by the shot animation, and feel. I keep feedback on as a reminder of late vs. Early, but I don't look at anything but the shooting motion.

I hit some, miss some. That meter hurts more than helps

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

PSN: ViolenceFight
Instagram: @ViolenceFight
Old 10-06-2017, 10:13 AM   #8
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhorse
To me, turning off the feedback is a no go because I still need to know when the shot is actually being released at the right point.

I'll turn the meter off, because I feel the meter really can throw your perception off, but the feedback is the only thing that tells me if my release point is off.

If we are going to play this game where shooters are playing percentages primarily and not their attributes, we need better feedback.
No it's not lol

The rule had been the same for years. But users just can't let go of the shot meter.

Late releases hit the front of the rim.
Early releases hit the back of the rim.

When you see those shots that hit the rim and then bounces around the rim and go in or fall out.

It's been like that for years

That's why it takes me a about 3 shots with a elite player to get his release down. After that I'm good. Role players can be different because you don't shoot with them as often.

I can tell as soon as the player releases the ball whether I'm late or early.

I'm telling you, turning it off will make you feel better. You'll be more locked in the overall game. Like getting offensive rebounds. Just give it a try.

And for free throws just look at the players wrist.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Last edited by jeebs9; 10-06-2017 at 10:15 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »