Home

Offense and Defensive Playbooks/Styles

This is a discussion on Offense and Defensive Playbooks/Styles within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-07-2017, 10:24 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0

Didn’t see a forum about this so I went ahead and started one. This can be a place for everyone to talk about their style of play and how it works for them, etc.
For me, I use the Pro Style offense. It’s more run than pass plays, with a lot of downhill runs and counters. I try to set the tone with the run game, setting up an easier passing game.
Defensively, I run the 4-3, in an attempt to be able to stop the run consistently. Let me know what you guys use!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2017, 08:38 AM   #2
Rookie

OBinKC's Arena

Re: Offense and Defensive Playbooks/Styles

On offense, I like to use Air Raid concepts from the spread. I also like to use the Run and Shoot, but I rarely have the receivers I need to run the correct option routes since I’m always starting over trying to build up bad programs. But yeah, I always use the spread to open up the run.

On defense, I’m currently using the 4-2-5. My major trouble is stopping the run. If you can recruit a good D line and the best strong safeties you can find, the 4-2-5 does a great job with run defense. I would like to try a 3-4 Defense if I can recruit enough stud linebackers, though.
Old 10-10-2017, 10:50 AM   #3
MVP

whughes's Arena

I love running the flexbone in this game, but imo it's way too easy to score points with an option offense so I don't use it as much as I'd like to. I've been running with the Stanford playbook (pro style) and I really like it.

On defense I've always been a 4-3 guy but i made the switch to a 3-4 recently and I don't think I'll ever run anything else. There are so many different blitz packages and coverages out of the base 3-4 it's relatively easy to get good pressure on the quarterback, even with mediocre linebackers. I do struggle to stop the run when I don't have a stud nose tackle, but the advantage to that is there are 2 linebackers directly behind him to fill in.

Fan of:
Chicago Bears
U of M Wolverines
CMU Chippewas

Old 10-10-2017, 02:06 PM   #4
All Star

OVR: 13

I'm rolling with a Oregon Spread (can't get enough of the read-option, the most perfectly-designed football play of all time ) for my offense.

I can't figure out how to play defense in this game. Like, at all. The mid-range passing game is a total mystery to me (in terms of how to defend it). I feel like I've tried everything. It's to the point where I just run Nickel/Dime every down and bring down safeties if I think there is going to be a run. It's marginally successful. But I'm basically having to outscore everyone every game.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:49 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by pietasterp
I'm rolling with a Oregon Spread (can't get enough of the read-option, the most perfectly-designed football play of all time ) for my offense.

I can't figure out how to play defense in this game. Like, at all. The mid-range passing game is a total mystery to me (in terms of how to defend it). I feel like I've tried everything. It's to the point where I just run Nickel/Dime every down and bring down safeties if I think there is going to be a run. It's marginally successful. But I'm basically having to outscore everyone every game.

I’m no genius when it comes to defense either, but I know just a little bit. It may help you out. PM me if you want!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-10-2017, 11:50 PM   #6
Rookie

Hey guys. I’m looking to adopt more of a spread-pass type offense next season. I currently run the pro style, with about 60% of the plays being runs, 40% being pass. I’d like to have it more like 60% pass. Any suggestions? Where should I start?

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 10-11-2017, 12:05 AM   #7
MVP

DavidTheGreat20's Arena

OVR: 4

I usually like to mix between using the Spread and Pro-Style for offense. I prefer spread most of the time, but there are times where I like to run smashmouth football and quick-hitting west coast-style routes. I think mostly it depends on the personnel of the team I'm using. My custom playbook has elements from the Michigan playbook as well as spread elements from Clemson's book.

On defense I like to run the 4-2-5. I like having more athletic players on the field, and the 5th DB I like to move around and wreck offenses with. Nice set of blitzes as well as some good zone plays as the defense is more spread-out per se.

Old 10-11-2017, 05:38 AM   #8
Rookie

I have a custom playbook that revolves around power and stretch runs and short passes. More often than not I’m running long methodical drives with multiple 3d conversions because I chip away at the defense.

On defense, I’m recruiting to get away from 4-3 to 3-4 but intend to have some 3-3-5 sets too. I love having 3 safeties on the field.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

Last edited by divinemind; 10-11-2017 at 05:41 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »