Home

Do you ever feel like you are too old to compete in games online?

This is a discussion on Do you ever feel like you are too old to compete in games online? within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-20-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
Rookie

ClassActFan's Arena

OVR: 4
Do you ever feel like you are too old to compete in games online?

By too old, I mean too rusty. Not a direct shot at age or anything.

I know I'm probably overthinking this because I'm being an impatient nimwit, but from NBA 2K18 to Halo 5, I'm pretty awful. I also didn't play a single video game from January until I got the new 2K last month. I'm not as big of a gamer as I used to be. I play more in the winter than during any other time. So maybe I'm answering my own question that, hey, I'm just rusty after not playing so long.

But it's frustrating playing a game mode (SWAT) in a series (Halo) that you used to dominate 7-10 years ago. I know that Halo: Reach is considered by many to be the worst game in the series, but it's my all-time favorite. Late 2010 was a difficult time in my life. I reconnected with my childhood best friend, got together with other friends and we met some more online and played Halo: Reach, full blown all-nighters, on the weekends. Great memories, looking back, but we were playing almost non-stop SWAT and absolutely dominating. I'm terrible at it in Halo 5.

So, I know I'm just overthinking things and being impatient after such a long layoff from any kind of gaming, but does anybody else here feel this way, that they are inadequate when it comes to competing online?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2017, 02:08 PM   #2
MVP

Pete1210's Arena

OVR: 30
Re: Do you ever feel like you are too old to compete in games online?

I've been feeling that way for a while. I also like to play a lot of different kinds of games, so I don't stick with one game to get better or level up too much. I never did well in COD. In Battlefield games I do better scoring points with objectives and support. I also like the squad feature in BF games to team up with friends.

I used to play with a large group of older casual gamers that would run private lobbies and online leagues. Those were the best times on Xbox live. Some of them left the hobby and others would rather play in public to level up.

Most of my online gaming lately has been coop with friends. I played the whole GR Wildlands coop. Did the Halo MC collection on coop and am in the middle of Halo 5. Only online sports I play are against friends. Besides more even competition I enjoy the social aspect. I have friends on Xbox that go back 12 years now.

Last edited by Pete1210; 10-20-2017 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
MVP

Smooth Pancakes's Arena

OVR: 1

I don't know about too old to compete. My stick skills are still pretty decent and I can usually hold my own in games and learn new games and controls fairly quickly.

I think the thing more is as I've gotten older, my tastes and patience for games have changed. There are some game series I don't even give a second look anymore and instantly ignore them because they just don't draw any interest from me anymore.

I would say the changes in directions of games has a bigger effect when it comes to playing and buying games than getting older has. Look at how many goddamn games have added microtransactions and loot boxes. While most games you can play and complete without microtransactions, a lot of them are designed to make it extremely more difficult or much longer time consuming to reach the same level as simply spending money.

When I have limited time between work and life to even play any games, I don't have the time or desire to spend 2 or 3 times as long playing to try and reach certain levels or get certain gear that I would get for shelling out $20 or $50.

That and loot boxes. I miss the days of Battlefield or Call of Duty where simply playing and playing good to level up and unlock new weapons or equipment via simply leveling up, instead of this loot box and microtransaction ****.

Both loot boxes and microtransactions are probably the reasons I tend to stick more to RPGs. Fallout, Mass Effect, Final Fantasy, Horizon Zero Dawn, Grand Theft Auto single player (and GTA Online to an extent since I can still have some fun in that without paying anything), games like those that don't have microtransactions or loot boxes (other than GTA Online) and outside of paying for DLC, you get a full singleplayer story and experience and can sink dozens or even hundreds of hours into without paying a cent beyond the initial purchase price.

As long as there are games and RPGs like those that remain pure and un-violated by microtransactions and loot boxes, I'll continue to happily buy and play them. But if the plague that is microtransactions and loot boxes continues to take over more and more games and more and more series, then that will probably be what pushes me out of gaming entirely, not diminishing stick skills or being unable to compete and keep up due to getting older.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
MVP

MrChainsaw's Arena

OVR: 11

Yep, all the time. With a full-time job and "adult" responsibilities I hardly have the time anymore to sink hours into multiplayer games and "git gud." But I play games because I enjoy them, whether I'm getting annihilated or not. And when I do have the (very rare) great match it makes it that much sweeter.

PSN: FREExBEER

Last edited by MrChainsaw; 10-20-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:48 PM   #5
I'm Ron F'n Swanson!

fishepa's Arena

OVR: 44

I'm old in age, 39 here. I love FPS shooters. I can still hold my own a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-20-2017, 09:49 PM   #6
MVP

Pete1210's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Pancakes
When I have limited time between work and life to even play any games, I don't have the time or desire to spend 2 or 3 times as long playing to try and reach certain levels or get certain gear that I would get for shelling out $20 or $50.

That and loot boxes. I miss the days of Battlefield or Call of Duty where simply playing and playing good to level up and unlock new weapons or equipment via simply leveling up, instead of this loot box and microtransaction ****.
I miss the days when there was no leveling up and progression. Equal playing field. Like the old Ghost Recon/RB6 games or Team Fortress 2. I think that's why I'm liking Fortnight Battle Royal.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:57 PM   #7
MVP

Smooth Pancakes's Arena

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete1210
I miss the days when there was no leveling up and progression. Equal playing field. Like the old Ghost Recon/RB6 games or Team Fortress 2. I think that's why I'm liking Fortnight Battle Royal.
I would be fine with a return to those days as well. I figured a middle ground of at least getting back to just unlocking stuff by leveling up was a far enough move back without getting greedy, lol.

Sadly those days are long dead. Especially now when companies can just lock weapons and perks up in loot boxes and get idiots to spend tens or hundreds of dollars buying boxes to try and get specific weapons, gear or perks.

It's the same problem with sports games. Everything is focused on making max money from players with MUT, FUT, HUT and all the other ultimate team/my team crap. So all the focus goes on that and franchise modes largely get completely ignored or only minor token updates. The exact reason I haven't bought Madden in years, because all they give a damn about is MUT and couldn't care less about making large additions and improvements to franchise mode since there's no extra money in it for them.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Last edited by Smooth Pancakes; 10-20-2017 at 09:59 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 11:29 PM   #8
Banned

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishepa
I'm old in age, 39 here. I love FPS shooters. I can still hold my own a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Damn you're old, old man. Hey what was it like to see how dirt was made? Man I'm glad I won't be old for a few more months...

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »