Home

I hate rivalry games

This is a discussion on I hate rivalry games within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-24-2017, 06:31 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 1
I hate rivalry games

Just had a pair of rivalry games, the kind that drive you nuts.
I am playing as the 2018 Packers, team rating of 91, and the games were against the Vikings (83) and Bears (81).
In the Minnesota game, I am leading 23-16 late with the ball deep in Minnesota territory.
They are out of time outs, and if I can get a first down, I can run out the clock.
First down, Montgomery runs for 8 yards but is injured stopping the clock.
On the second down, Jones fumbles the ball, first fumble by either side in the game, and the Vikings recover.
Minnesota runs into a third and goal from its own 13 with under 30 seconds to go.
Their inside receiver runs one way, my safety goes the other, and he makes a diving catch in the end zone.
I go back and review the play, and the receiver actually hits his head on the goal post, and neither of his feet are no where close to being inbounds.
The officials review it, but the play stands, even though the replay matches what I watched before, we are going to overtime.
It ends in a 23-23 tie.
Next, we're playing the Bears, down 27-23 late, we're driving and facing a third and 1 on the Chicago side of midfield around the 45.
Ripkowski takes a handoff and gains at least 2 yards.
But the game says we are now facing a fourth and goal.
THE BALL IS AT the 44 YARD LINE and it was third and one.
I go to replay to check the sticks, yard markers, there are no sticks.
I challenge. It still says fourth and goal, although I am closer to midfield than the goal line.
I decide to punt.
Again, no sticks to check to think about going for it. I guess I went from a third and 1 to a fourth and 44.
Fortunately, I make a defensive stop and end up winning the game 30-23.
My next game, when I face a Dolphins team, which according to rating (89) is significantly better than the Vikings and Bears, I paste them 33-10.
I even call the dogs off in the fourth quarter not wanting to risk injury to my top players.
That is why I hate rivalry games. Games which should not be close don't play probably how they should, while games which should be nail-biters end up walkovers.
In my opinion, rivalry games in Madden carry way too much weight, unless you're playing as the Patriots. Everyone hates and should get revved up to play New England.
Anyway, these players have no loyalty to the teams/fans they play for. They are mercenaries.
When one team is significantly better than the other, the better teams usually wins.
Since 2010, the Packers are 13-3 against the Bears.
They also are 11-4 against Detroit and 10-4-1 against Minnesota.
There is a reason, they have been significantly better.
Any way, we can turn off this rivalry game crap?

Just felt like venting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-24-2017, 06:52 AM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: I hate rivalry games

I somehow like them, but you are right in the way of Ratings.
Normally my problem team are the Browns tough games always, I play the Ravens. The Bengals are ok to deal with, but Browns and Steelers are always tough games. I won the Divisional Round against the Steelers in Overtime, I think one of the most thrilling games in my Madden CFM history, until the Superbowl were I faced the Seahawks, where I lost then in overtime, but I think there were 6 times possession changes.
But I think there is no way to switch it off, just stay focused these games and take them as much serious as games against teams with high ratings.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:58 AM   #3
MVP

i have no issue if they are underdogs and raise their game in a rivalry game, but it shouldnt all happen in the 4th qtr

if they have stuffed the run since the first series then thats logical, if they change defence in 3rd qtr after i run a lot in the first half then fair enough, but the magic that happens in madden in 4th qtr is rubbish.

as for the challenges, there are times when a catch is made and i dont have the option to challenge? why not? its my challenge to waste, i could be querying the spot etc.

they need to sort it out
Old 10-24-2017, 12:23 PM   #4
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

I have seen too many situations where it seems when the CPU needs something, like a first down or TD, for example, then something like a deep defender will be slow to get into zone or be far to one side of his zone and so forth.

Now, it isn't like these things couldn't be stopped by the user; it seems many of these apparent "CPU game mechanics manipulations" are setup so the user can break them up by identifying the key player(s) and manually covering them, for example.

I am not gonna call this "cheat logic" because cheating would make something unstoppable; what I think this is, is the game is creating situations where the user will have to be on point about matchups in key situations and make adjustments.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:23 AM   #5
Rookie

Its really frustrating, I feel like there's no point in playing if the outcome is scripted. Seems like I’m always up 14-0 or 21-7 and then my guys drop every 3rd down pass until the cpu catches up. It cuts both ways, if I’m trailing, the cpu calls dumb defensive plays until I can catch up. The worst part is when its 3rd and long and the cpu presses pause on your pass rush and lets its receivers run around in circles indefinitely until someone gets open.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-28-2017, 05:42 AM   #6
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

I hate the way Madden cheats.

Was the 49ers playing against the Rams. Up 28-6 in the 4th qtr. Punt. It is blocked and returned for a touchdown. 28-14 (2 pt). Decide to run some clock off on the next possession: run, run, run, punt. It's blocked. Returned for a touchdown. 28-21. Get ball back. Decide to mix it up. Throw a pass for a first down on third down. Fumble. Returned to the 15. Rams throw a screen. Inexplicably, NaVorro Bowman (controlled by CPU) slows down immediately after his trajectory would have given him the perfect pursuit angle to tackle the back. Touchdown. 28-28.

At this point I nearly punched the TV, so from then on I ran a hurry up offense throwing the same corner route combination over and over again and won 42-28.

This d*mned cheating. I do not get it. Why did User team CPU Bowman slowdown when he had the proper angle of pursuit? Why do User team CPU DBs run in the opposite direction the WR is running to when the ball is thrown? Why do I have zero blocked punts all season and then suddenly back to back ones in a rivalry game in the 4th quarter?

I absolutely hate this. We should have the option to turn off cheating. It is blatantly happening, and I'm so frustrated with everyone claiming it doesn't exit. It may not be directly programmed in (that they are aware of...) but whatever they are doing in terms of awareness drops clearly is making it happen. It is far too coincidental that these things "just so happen" to occur in these key moments. Come on.

It is a great game, but these flaws really stand out.
Old 10-28-2017, 06:59 AM   #7
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
I hate the way Madden cheats.

Was the 49ers playing against the Rams. Up 28-6 in the 4th qtr. Punt. It is blocked and returned for a touchdown. 28-14 (2 pt). Decide to run some clock off on the next possession: run, run, run, punt. It's blocked. Returned for a touchdown. 28-21. Get ball back. Decide to mix it up. Throw a pass for a first down on third down. Fumble. Returned to the 15. Rams throw a screen. Inexplicably, NaVorro Bowman (controlled by CPU) slows down immediately after his trajectory would have given him the perfect pursuit angle to tackle the back. Touchdown. 28-28.

At this point I nearly punched the TV, so from then on I ran a hurry up offense throwing the same corner route combination over and over again and won 42-28.

This d*mned cheating. I do not get it. Why did User team CPU Bowman slowdown when he had the proper angle of pursuit? Why do User team CPU DBs run in the opposite direction the WR is running to when the ball is thrown? Why do I have zero blocked punts all season and then suddenly back to back ones in a rivalry game in the 4th quarter?

I absolutely hate this. We should have the option to turn off cheating. It is blatantly happening, and I'm so frustrated with everyone claiming it doesn't exit. It may not be directly programmed in (that they are aware of...) but whatever they are doing in terms of awareness drops clearly is making it happen. It is far too coincidental that these things "just so happen" to occur in these key moments. Come on.

It is a great game, but these flaws really stand out.
I don't believe in ghosts, i dont believe in big foot, I don't believe in oak island, i dont believe they are going to find hitler, i don't believe in nessy, i don't believe in destiny, i don't believe in god. I believe in 4th quarter shenanigans in Madden.
Old 10-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I'm starting to really dislike them too. I usually put up around 100 yards rushing with Jordan Howard per game, except when I face Green Bay. Then his line is usually something like 15 carries for 12 yards

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »