Home

2K Making a Return?

This is a discussion on 2K Making a Return? within the Other Football Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 10-25-2017, 03:55 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
2K Making a Return?

https://youtu.be/-KL1zSewzfc

Essentially, there’s a slim possibility of 2K football (whether it’s licensed or not is up in the air). What do you guys think this could/would do to Madden’s sales and or marketing strategy?

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #2
Rookie

wreckem27's Arena

Re: 2K Making a Return?

The NFL will reup just like last time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2017, 04:11 PM   #3
Pro

sccavs64's Arena

OVR: 5

This. Would. Be. The. Best. News. We. Could. Ever. Hope. For.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:20 PM   #4
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

How many times are we going to do this song and dance?

The exclusivity deal still exists, the NFL and NFLPA prefer to negotiate exclusive deals (though the NFLPA has remained non-exclusive with respect to licensing their IP to mobile games), EA can't afford to lose the NFL license because that would destroy their product overnight, and there's no news about any other AAA game studio working on a Gen-4 football title in any capacity.

Further, to directly address the premise of the video, how and why would the termination of the collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and NFLPA have any bearing on how those two entities individually license their respective intellectual property to third parties? I don't see any connection there.
Old 10-25-2017, 06:32 PM   #5
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
How many times are we going to do this song and dance?

The exclusivity deal still exists, the NFL and NFLPA prefer to negotiate exclusive deals (though the NFLPA has remained non-exclusive with respect to licensing their IP to mobile games), EA can't afford to lose the NFL license because that would destroy their product overnight, and there's no news about any other AAA game studio working on a Gen-4 football title in any capacity.

Further, to directly address the premise of the video, how and why would the termination of the collective bargaining agreement between the NFL and NFLPA have any bearing on how those two entities individually license their respective intellectual property to third parties? I don't see any connection there.

I just wanted some discussion, is all. It begs the question “What if”; and I’ve seen independent game companies make leaps and bounds in improvements. Axis Football is a prime example of this. This might be a loaded statement, but I don’t think people care too much about the NFLPA. There will always be created rosters that can implement real-life players.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-25-2017, 06:41 PM   #6
Rookie

NFL 2k is never coming back. The NFL makes far too much money from EA paying them for the license.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:28 PM   #7
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSexy
I just wanted some discussion, is all. It begs the question “What if”
If ifs were fifths we'd all be drunk.

Quote:
This might be a loaded statement, but I don’t think people care too much about the NFLPA.
We disagree. I think people would be really disappointed to play as a Patriots and not see Tom Brady on the team, particularly in a AAA sports game where graphics and player likenesses powered by those graphics matter a helluva lot.

Quote:
There will always be created rosters that can implement real-life players.
IANAL and all, but with as litigious as the NFL is, I have to assume that if any unlicensed football game with NFL rosters falling out from user-generated content clawed any significant amount of market share away from Madden, the NFL and NFLPA would immediately cease-and-desist the customization functionality out of the game. They'd point to the the various player likeness court cases which took down NCAA Football as precedent, and that'd likely be the end of it.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:56 PM   #8
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Must we open this wound up every time the license is set to "expire"
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Other Football Games »