Home

Your biggest upset..

This is a discussion on Your biggest upset.. within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-06-2017, 02:30 AM   #1
Rookie

Trojan32's Arena

OVR: 0
Your biggest upset..

I’m in Year19 of my Coach mode dynasty.
Defending BCS Champs Penn State (5-0; 97) at home versus Maryland (0-6; 81)

Two pick 6’s off my 99 QB AND a FR for TD put me in a 31-7 hole late in 2nd Q.

We rally to tie at 31 with 3:34 left in the 4th.

They get the ball, move it to my 34 where they hit a 33 yard all-vert with us in Cover 2 man. They score with :31 left.

Lose 38-31. By bye BCS as we go from #1 to #15.

Tough to swallow - using Matt10 sliders and PocketScouts recruiting rules, last years Natty was my FIRST, so losing this chance for a title sucks!!!

I’d love to hear some other horror stories - might make me feel better!

Last edited by Trojan32; 11-06-2017 at 12:18 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-06-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
Pro

KushNstien's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Your biggest upset..

I was playing as a mediocre UNC team in 2019. We won the division with some memorable games, ending the season with an 8-4 record and had to go up against FSU 12-0 in the Conference Championship game. Surprisingly we got the upset over them winning by two touchdowns (forgot the exact score).

Heading into the Orange Bowl we face Cincinnati who was the highest ranked group of 5 team. Needless to say, they absolutely destroyed us 34-14. I wouldnt say its the biggest upset, but an upset i wasnt expecting going in that game
Old 11-06-2017, 05:46 PM   #3
Rookie

DatGuy12x2's Arena

Your biggest upset..

My third year, 2018 at Minnesota, we ran into an unranked Houston team. We were ranked 15. They already upset a team the previous week but I️ had no fear that we’d be able to take them out. My sophomore QB had everything working and we were up 24-7 at half. I️ figured the second half we could run the ball and put this thing on cruise control.

Second half comes and my running game can’t get going. A few four and outs, and a costly fumble by my freshman receiver led Houston to a huge back and they took a 28-24 lead. I️ scored in the middle of the 4th making it 31-28, but their stud RB answered with a 53 yard to of his own, and they retook the lead 34-31, failing in the two point conversion. With a game winning drive in mind, my QB had a wide open receiver. But with his low accuracy he led him too far and threw a late pick. Houston wound up scoring an unnecessary TD late (which set up a rematch storyline for the next season), and they won 41-31. My defense gave up 301 yards to their RB, who was unstoppable the entire second half. It was the start of a 3 game slide for my Gophers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 11-06-2017, 10:13 PM   #4
Rookie

Zaky29's Arena

Year 3 of a Washington State dynasty. It was opening weekend, I was ranked 10th, I wanna say, coming off a 10-3 campaign where we won the Holiday Bowl. I had lost my previous two openers, but they were to Auburn in Jordan-Hare, and Wisconsin in Camp Randall.

Enter the Ohio Bobcats.

We played them in Athens. The game was back and forth the whole night, with them usually staying ahead. In the final minute, we tie the game up at 35. Then, with 10 seconds to go, they throw a streak route, my CB runs past the receiver, who catches it and runs in for the score, as we lose 42-35. One of my most devastating losses in NCAA 14.
Old 11-06-2017, 10:53 PM   #5
Rookie

Trojan32's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaky29
Enter the Ohio Bobcats.
Enough said!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-08-2017, 05:23 PM   #6
MVP

mm boost's Arena

OVR: 12

I just finished year 2024 with Virginia Tech on my dynasty, and I have built them to a power house. We have won 7 of the last 10 national championships, with 4 of them in a row and undefeated seasons (So yes, I have not lost a game in 4+ years). I am playing on Heisman sliders that are difficult, but I've built the program up so well that we attract consistently good talent.

I am going into year 2025, and so I schedule a neutral site game at Soldier Field against #2 Michigan (we are #1), and I am bringing with me 3 freshman qbs (my starter went to NFL, my backup graduated). As I have the last 4 years, I expected to simply cruise to victory. This was not the case. I decided I wanted to come up with a way to make the game a lot more challenging, so I decided to remove ALL of the coaching perks for head, o and d coordinators, and rely truly on the ratings themselves. I didn't anticipate how exciting and how difficult that this would make the game.

For the Michigan game, I fought scratched and clawed my way to victory 26-17. My defense is absolutely loaded with talent, and I forced their kicker to score all of their offensive points (5 field goals with 2 others missed). They also tacked on a safety by their defense. With that said, the story was my offense. I consistently have a top-5 offense every year and can usually pass and rush with no issue. After removing the perks, I can affirm that this changes the game. Between my 3 freshman qb's, I threw 4 interceptions and had 1 fumble. All 3 of them were below 40% completion percentage, and 1 of them got injured. Combined, they all had less than 140 yards passing. It was completely abysmal. What I soon realized was how important it is with a freshman qb (with all of the perks removed) that you need to connect on short and intermediate passes to get their confidence up, to help open up the deep passing game. Anyways, I escaped game 1 with a win, knowing I needed to improve pass game in game 2.

Game 2 rolls around, and I am visiting 0-1 Colorado for the start of a home-and-home series. I figured this would be the perfect game to rebound, and get my freshman qbs on track. I decided to stick with Luke Hemphill who started last game but injured his elbow. Dewayne Hixon and Tyson Beck were behind him, respectively. The game starts out with us on offense, and we rip right down the field running the ball with my 2 stud backs, Bo Flowers and Levi Drake. I get inside the 20 yard line, decide to roll out on a pass play. My tight end is breaking free across the field, but an untimely hit from a DT makes the ball turn into a laser beam, and it lands right in the arms of a linebacker for the pick. 6 plays later, Colorado's potent spread offense destroys my defense and scores 7. The next 2 drives end in a punt and a fumble, and Colorado builds a lead 17-0 before I can blink. I finally get a touchdown late in the first to make it 17-7. just as I start to establish momentum, they hold me to a field goal and make it 17-10, before taking off again and scoring 2 straight field goals to make it 23-10. Just before half time, I tack on a touchdown to close the gap, but they respond in a matter of seconds to kick a field goal and make it 26-17 at the half. At half time, they have over 350 yards passing - my defense was STRUGGLING!

To open the second half, they get the ball and they drive right down the field and score another field goal to make it 29-17. I bounce back with a long methodical drive, and make it 29-24 thanks to Hemphill. I used him in the running game and supplemented some short passing to build his confidence up, and by the third quarter he was playing like a starter. I appreciate the fight it took to gain his confidence and build to being able to spread the ball around. Adds another element of strategy. Anyways, of course Colorado doesn't slow down, and they go right down the field for another long drive and a touchdown to make it 36-24. On the next drive, I convert 2 4th down conversions, and I also am saved by a rare off-sides penalty on their defense on a play that I threw an interception, and I capitalize by running it in for a touchdown, followed by a 2 point conversion to make it 36-32 (my logic was if I score a td to go ahead, they can kick a field goal and we'd be tied rather than me be behind).

As we head into the 4th quarter, my defense begins to click (FINALLY after giving up 500+yards). I put together a long, methodical drive to score a touchdown and go up 39-36. On the following drive, my defense forces a pick, and we drive back down and tack on a field goal to make it 42-36. Following up the last defensive stand, my defense forces a punt, and we are in position to put away the game. All I need to do is run my offense and we can run the clock down. however, on the first play, their defense had other plans. I attempted a triple read option, and as I get to the edge ready to pitch the ball to flowers, their star corner torpedos between us and head-butts the ball to the ground. I run to dive on it with Flowers, I wiff, and their defense recovers. Deep in our territory. I just knew this would make the beginning of the end. As usual, Colorado scores quickly and they take the lead 43-42 with around 2-1/2 minutes left. When I get the ball, I know all I need to do is run my offense, run the clock, and kick a field goal to win. Well, that faded quickly as I end up throwing an untimely interception with the clock inside of 1 minute. I decide to use strategy, and Colorado reels off a huge cross-field throw to a receiver, and I remove all defenders from the area and let them score with :39 left, to make it 50-42.

On the ensuing kickoff, my returner Tye McBride delivers in the clutch, and returns the ball to the 50 yard line. 4 plays later, and Hemphill connected with McBride for a long touchdown pass, and a 2 point conversion by Drake sends us to overtime at 50-50.

The fireworks were just beginning as we both matched each other, scoring touchdowns on both possessions to head into the 3rd overtime, 64-64. Hemphill works his magic, and works us right into scoring range on a read option on the first play. 2 plays later, Flowers runs it in from 3 yards out, and we score. I called the triple option on the 2 point attempt, however Hemphill was stuffed by the OLB, and we were denied. 70-64. Colorado takes to the field, with a chance to win the game. from inside my 5 yard line, we run a tight zone defense, and are able to nullify their first 3 attempts to score. 4th down, all I need is one more stop to end it, and the qb drops back, my d line trying to get to him, but he is mobile and moving all over the pocket and their o-line has my line stifled. After several seconds waiting on someone to come open, he chucks it to the corner on a fade where his receiver is wide open for the touchdown. 2 point upcoming. I call a timeout to refreshen my defense and take time to figure out the best play. I ran Dime 3-2-6 cover 6, and pressed my corners to jam. At the hike of the snap, it looks like the same result as last time. My defense comes in hard on the jail break, but the combination of a strong o-line and the mobile qb slows my pass rush. He is running all over the backfield waiting for a receiver to get open. After several seconds, my DT Dario Ruffin slips through a seam at guard and is on a full speed rush at the qb. I dive to take him to the ground, however the qb ducks and Ruffin goes flying over his head. Just then, his receiver is open on a drag route at the goal line, and he delivers a strike, in stride, and his receiver hauls it in just as 3 defenders crushes him, but he holds onto the ball and Colorado wins. 72-70 in triple over-time against the #1 team in the country.

Absolute heart breaker.

Old 11-08-2017, 10:52 PM   #7
Pro

NolesFanatic17's Arena

My Biggest upset would have to be this game right here

I was Arkansas State and wasn’t really favored. But I felt my team matched up well and I thought I’d run away with the win. But EA had different plans and K-State embarrassed me which is why I eventually left Arkansas State and now am in my first year coaching K-State after they fell on hard times the year after and fired their coach

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 11-09-2017, 11:38 AM   #8
Rookie

kc_brigade88's Arena

Biggest upset I had was my first ever game with my Little Rock Trojans teambuilder. Their overall, off, def was like 71,70,68 or something close to that, so a cupcake team. I wanted it to be realistic-ish. We started the season against Fresno State in the rain at home. The game went back and forth and defenses stayed on the bus. FSU took the lead 52-49 with about 1:49 left to play. UALR drives down to around the 25 with 0:04 left. We throw a hail mary that's caught by our guy in the endzone. 55-52. 1-0 to start the season.

Playing my UALR dynasty years later #2 in coaches and #1 in AP Texas A&M lost to FCS Southeast in Week 2 38-31 when I was advancing weeks.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »