Home

Academic eligibility chart

This is a discussion on Academic eligibility chart within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-22-2017, 01:14 AM   #1
Rookie

Trojan32's Arena

OVR: 0
Academic eligibility chart

One thing that I think is missing in my dynasty are players flunking out or just leaving school.

Yes, you get the occasional player transferring out/in but ask yourself this question about your favourite team. How many players drop out of school? Especially after their freshman year!

Thinking of coming up with an academic eligibility chart that would give us dynasty players a all little bit more realism/immersion.

First off, four charts - one for each year. (RS-SR would be exempt) with a cross reference of AWARENESS (i.e. academic tendency) and SCHOOL ACADEMIC PRESTIGE on each chart.

Obviously FR would have the greatest % of dropping out or being academically ineligible. the scale would slide to SR's having the lowest % of dropping out.

Second part would be to include the school's academic prestige as a cross reference. Perhaps four categories (D;C:B;A) dependent on academic prestige.

Now, I'd love your input/feedback on the following.

1- On average, how many players off the 70 man roster should leave annually? One? Two? More?

2- Would low academic prestige schools be more at risk? Or less? After all, if it's easy to get in, it should be easy to stay? Maybe I'm off base.

And what about schools like Stanford, Duke, etc. Would student-athletes at these schools be more likely to remain in school give their academic knowledge needed to GET IN?

Just kicking it around and looking for feedback before going to work on this!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-22-2017, 12:40 PM   #2
Rookie

irondragon's Arena

Re: Academic eligibility chart

1 - I would say no more than 2 based on nothing more than my own opinion. I think schools do a pretty good job of protecting their investments.

2 - I think low prestige schools would have more kids drop out. Easy to get in yes, but easy to get out also. Higher academic prestige schools are high for a reason - they don't bring in dummies.

Just my opinions.

Did a little bit of research. Maybe 2 is too low, depending on your school:
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...aduation-rates
Old 11-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2

I'm not criticizing the OP, nor the idea/concept.

However, I've seen items like this through the years that also include the negative concept of "guys should get suspended for a season" or "for x games."

I work in college athletics administration, and the thing that always holds me back from jumping on board with these ideas is that we have no control over the entire aid/assistance programs that are in place at every D-I school in the country for their athletes.

My feelings are that if we wish to add some random penalties to the game, then we should also have the abilities to put in place some plan that helps to prevent those penalties from popping up. That's real life.

All of these, let's call them 'negative,' things occur, obviously (in real life). Not my counterpoint (again, not trying to argue w/ anyone). But institutions have an entire department w/in athletics to help prevent them, lessen the number of, or lessen the degree of these negative events. Include a way to put that into any of these concepts and I'm probably jumping on board as that would be more like the real life situation.
Old 05-08-2020, 02:32 AM   #4
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by number2–athlete
I'm frustrated about the admissions world in general. There're no general rules for athletes and they seem to choose randomly. I don't know how to write my essay for me and make a good self-presentation to get accepted. I'm in high school now, but jeez I need help.
Ian

Hi Ian,
I've been working for selective private colleges as a College Admissions Officer for a couple of years already. Very often admissions deans set priorities for certain applications. Some of the applications (usually, those submitted by athletes and minority students) are to be read first and passed over to the admissions subcommittee.
Old 05-09-2020, 03:10 PM   #5
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

I think low academic prestige schools should be more at risk. The likelihood of getting in varies from school to school, but for staying there, there's one set of NCAA standards that everyone adheres to. Stanford isnt gonna kick a star player off the team for getting a 2.5 when they want a 3.0, but they'd kick him off for a 1.0 because that's well below NCAA standards. But at the same time, higher prestige schools recruit players who fall in line with those standards for admission, so those players would obviously be less likely to fall below NCAA standards.

But I do like the idea. I was working as a student-manager for a P5 team and our starting QB had to leave the team four weeks into the season because he had a kid and the pressure got to him. Crazy circumstances that almost never happen, but it did.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »