Home

Out Of The Ordinary Defense Formations

This is a discussion on Out Of The Ordinary Defense Formations within the EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2017, 04:15 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Out Of The Ordinary Defense Formations

Has anyone ever created some crazy subs and formations on defense? Like say your defensive line is regularly set up, but maybe some more linemen behind the defensive line instead of linebackers. Maybe use this whenever the opponent needs a yard or two and you know a run is coming. Or something like these? Anything that worked?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-03-2017, 01:49 AM   #2
MVP

TN - BRAVES FAN's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: Out Of The Ordinary Defense Formations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan
Has anyone ever created some crazy subs and formations on defense? Like say your defensive line is regularly set up, but maybe some more linemen behind the defensive line instead of linebackers. Maybe use this whenever the opponent needs a yard or two and you know a run is coming. Or something like these? Anything that worked?
Never tried for defense, but good idea...I have tried some crazy formation subs on offense though.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:51 AM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collegefbfan

I did a sort of "scheme overhaul/revision" with the 4-2-5 once. I did it through recruiting and position changes though. With this setup, I never recruited any DT.

DE = Recruited the largest Linebackers I could find.
DT = Recruited DEs of my choice.
LB = " Safeties that had poor cover skills but were good at tackling/pursuit.
CB/FS/SS = CBs of my choice.

Basically faster and slightly smaller. It was a lot of fun. It kinda reminded me of NES's "Ice Hockey", the way you could assemble your team with the different players with different skills/sizes.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:26 PM   #4
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscaloosa
I did a sort of "scheme overhaul/revision" with the 4-2-5 once. I did it through recruiting and position changes though. With this setup, I never recruited any DT.

Basically faster and slightly smaller. It was a lot of fun. It kinda reminded me of NES's "Ice Hockey", the way you could assemble your team with the different players with different skills/sizes.
Did they level appropriately through training? Did you change their positions their freshman year or after redshirting?
Old 12-08-2017, 07:10 PM   #5
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofx94
Did they level appropriately through training? Did you change their positions their freshman year or after redshirting?
IIRC, they gain OVR points in the off-season on par with everyone else.

I changed their positions at the first opportunity.

My favorite aspect was LBs turned into DEs. Had some real beasts here. They have their freshmen level LB SPD & ACC - which is on the higher end of the typical DE. Then after changing their position to DE, they start building all of those traits - STR, BSH, PMV, FMV... Kinda like that savage at LSU named Arden Key - listed as a 6'6" 265lb "LB", but can and will bring absolute heat off the edge.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-09-2017, 01:26 AM   #6
MVP

SilverBullet19's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscaloosa

This is a real strategy many teams have used. IIRC, Brian Urlacher was a safety before becoming a linebacker. It would also leave you with more of the current trend in football of fast defensive ends. In my 3-4 defense, in nickel, my outside backers are basically defensive ends.

Major Boise State fan
Old 02-12-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
Rookie

OVR: 2

For my DEs I always look specifically for Coverage OLB's with good to great acceleration and good speed, then I red shirt them their freshman year. They make very good Pass Rushers off the edge just from their quick movements alone.

I usually run a 4 man front though with two big, strong DTs with semi-decent accelleration. 2 of those converted OLB/DEs on the edges, and then in a base package my LB core is 2 more Coverage OLBs, and a good balance/run stopping MLB in the middle.

Usually I don't end up running much base 4-3 though seeing as the game, and especially the AI is heavy on running 3 + receiver packages. I run a normal nickel for the most part, but will sneak in some 3-3-5 nickel for a heavy blitz once in a while.

Last edited by MrDangles; 02-14-2018 at 06:35 AM.
Old 02-12-2018, 04:46 PM   #8
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20

I recruited a FS that was 6-6 230 and I moved him to DE. He was never great in his 4 years but he was ok, 5-6 sacks a year. My mistake was I should have put him at LB though, I think he would have been great at that position, but I wanted him on the field from day 1 because of his size and speed. At LB he would not have started and I didn't want to move any LB's because they were a really good group.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > EA Sports College Football and NCAA Football »