Home

Share Your Experience with "Start in Offseason"

This is a discussion on Share Your Experience with "Start in Offseason" within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-02-2017, 04:18 PM   #1
MVP

TeamBuilder's Arena

OVR: 15
Share Your Experience with "Start in Offseason"

Does anyone have any awesome experiences that they would like to share while using the "Start in Offseason" option for MyLeague or MyGM?

Today, I chose the Celtics and took control of the team just before the 2017 draft lottery to replay the most recent offseason. There were defining moments of the offseason (time stamped below) that made this experience one of the most fun I've had while building a team:

July 2nd - The league voted, 22 in favor and 8 against, to "Eliminate financial restrictions when trading: salaries are no longer required to match." The commissioner approved.

Analysis: I was initially worried about this change, but with salary cap and hard cap still in place, it turned out to be a nice change which allowed teams some flexibility for interesting trades, without bloating to ridiculous salary levels. I ended up taking advantage of the league's decision later on in the offseason.

July 4th - Celtics win the draft lottery. I had a 25% chance to land the top pick (Brooklyn pick), and I got lucky and ended up at #1. The Lakers landed at #2 and the Magic at #3.

July 7th - Traded Al Horford, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, and all three of my 2017 2nd round picks to the 76ers for the #8 pick in the 2017 NBA draft, the 2018 Lakers 1st round pick, and the 2019 Kings 1st round pick.

Trade Analysis: I wanted to free up cap space for runs at Gordon Hayward and another free agent (perhaps Paul Milsap or Blake Griffin). I was able to secure 1st round picks in three consecutive drafts, which includes the #8 pick this year - where I am hoping to land a player like Lauri Markkanen or Malik Monk. Side note of concern: I also significantly strengthened the Eastern Conference rival 76ers with this trade.

July 9th - Traded Marcus Smart, Terry Rozier, Demetrius Jackson, the 2017 #1 overall pick, a 2018 Celtics 1st round pick, and a 2019 Pistons 2nd round pick to the Knicks for Kristaps Porzingis and a Knicks 2020 1st round pick.

Trade Analysis: This one was tough. By giving up the #1 pick in the draft I gave up my chance at drafting Jayson Tatum, who I had initially planned to bring to Boston. I also had to part with Marcus Smart, who I thought I could develop into a strong 2-way player through offseason training. Ultimately, I decided I couldn't pass on the opportunity to bring the Unicorn to Boston - even if it cost me two key players. I was able to snag a future 1st rounder in 2020 as part of the deal, which lessened the blow of missing out on Tatum and shipping out Smart.

July 17th - Celtics draft Jayson Tatum with the 8th pick in the draft!

Draft Analysis: I went into the draft happy to settle for Lauri Markkanen or Malik Monk at #8, but Jayson Tatum slid right into my lap! Here are the results from the top 10:
1) Knicks - Markelle Fultz
2) Hornets - Lonzo Ball (acquire via trade with Lakers for Kemba Walker and Nic Batum)
3) Magic - Lauri Markkanen
4) Suns - De'Aaron Fox
5) Kings - T.J. Leaf (reach of the draft)
6) T'Wolves - Dennis Smith
7) Knicks - Donovan Mitchell
8) Celtics - Jayson Tatum
9) Hornets Jonathan Issac (trade with Mavs for Kaminsky and Belinelli)
10) Hawks - Josh Jackson (trade with Kings involving Dwight Howard)

Draft Analysis: I was very tempted to move up to #3 to draft Tatum, but I couldn't find a deal I liked. The Magic wanted too much (one of my future picks from either Brooklyn of L.A.), so I didn't pull the trigger. After the Kings took T.J. Leaf at five I was excited about Tatum or Josh Jackson falling to me because the T'Wolves have Wiggins at small forward, and the Knicks still have Melo at small forward. The draft worked out perfectly for me, and I landed the guy I wanted at a spot I didn't anticipate he would slide to.

July 21st - Miracles occurred. I headed into day 1 of the Free Agency Moratorium with 4 players under contract on my roster: Isaiah Thomas, Kristaps Porzingis, Jaylen Brown, and Jayson Tatum. I renounced all of my other free agents, which resulted in $80+ million in cap space.

I had been hoping to land the free agent duo of Gordon Hayward and Paul Milsap, but with both Steph Curry and Kevin Durant willing to listen to offers, I threw everything I had at both of them. Both Curry and Durant agreed to max contracts, and Boston just became title favorites. With a little over $11 million left in cap space, I was able to snag veterans for my bench in Andre Iguodala for $7.49 million, and Dirk Nowitzki on the cheap for $3.6 million.

Free Agency Analysis: Throwing darts absolutely payed off. Not only did I land two elite players, but I have verteran players who should fit in perfectly alongside them.

July 24th - I started filling out my roster with league minimum vets:
Rajon Rondo (brought back to Boston to run the 2nd unit)
Paul Pierce (sentimental end of bench vet)
Michael Beasley (scoring punch if needed)
Roy Hibbert (defensive presence against plodding centers)
Trey Burke (point guard insurance)
Ben McLemore (end of bench scoring option)

July 26th - The idea. Amidst free agency - with one empty roster spot and Isaiah Thomas still on my team, I wondered if I could make a move for Kyrie. Remember back to July 2nd when the league voted to remove the salary matching restrictions on trades? I used that to my advantage. I managed to pull off a trade that sent Isaiah Thomas and my highest valued draft picks: the Nets 2018 1st round pick (4.5 stars), the Lakers 2018 1st round pick (3.5 stars), along with the Celtics 2020 2nd round pick, and the Heat 2020 2nd round pick to the Cavs for Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love.

Trade Analysis: I couldn't pass this up, even if it added a lot of salary and cost me my best future draft assets. I'm excited about the lethal outside shooting trio of Kyrie, Steph, and KD. Then, with Porzingis defending the basket in the middle and stretching defenses, Kevin Love should slide in as the perfect compliment of rebounding and spot-up shooting. I am giddy.

September 16th - Training Camps. I sent Jayson Tatum, Jaylon Brown, and Kristaps Porzinigis to Untapped Potential training camps. With a nice veteran roster, I could afford to use my training toward the development of my youngsters.

October 17th - The final roster before games begin:

Starters
1 - Steph Curry
2 - Kyrie Irving
3 - Kevin Durant
4 - Kevin Love
5 - Kristaps Porzingis

Bench
6 - Jaylon Brown
7 - Jayson Tatum
8 - Dirk Nowitzki
9 - Andre Iguodala
10 - Rajon Rondo
11 - Michael Beasley
12 - Paul Pierce
13 - Roy Hibbert
14 - (Trey Burke)
15 - (Ben McLemore)

Roster Analysis: Realistic? Not a chance. But this is by far the most fun I have ever had while building a team. I built the team within the limits of the league restrictions (although I was definitely aided by the league vote to remove salary matching for trades) and I am fully going to enjoy it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-07-2018, 09:02 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Icon6 Re: Share Your Experience with "Start in Offseason"

I just tried this with the Cavs and it starts before the Kyrie trade IRL. I don't have the assets that the Celtics did but i did pretty well. Stepien Rule was off but matching salaries was on and this team comes in $3.50 million under the luxury tax.
Starters
1: Steph Curry
2: Kyrie Irving
3: Joe Ingles
4: LeBron James
5: Nikola Jokic

Bench
6: Malcolm Brogden
7: Julius Randle
8: Willie Cauley-Stein
9: Skal Labissiere
10: Quincy Pondexter
11: Anderson Varejao
12: Terrance Ferguson
13: Norris Cole
14: Justin Patton
15: Ike Anigbogu

The draft order and picks was very different as you can see
1: Lakers, Josh Jackson
2: Celtics, Markelle Fultz
3: Suns, Jayson Tatum
4: Kings, Lonzo Ball
5: Magic, De'Aaron Fox
6: Timberwolves, Lauri Markanen
7: Knicks, Donovan Mitchell
8: 76ers, Malik Monk
9: Mavericks, Dennis Smith Jr.
10: Kings, Jonathon Isaac

Key Trades+Moves

Cavs Receive: WCS, Skal Labissiere
Kings Receive: TT, Shumpert, JR
This move clears $34 million of salary

Cavs Receive: Hawks 2018 1st Rounder Top 3 Protected, 2019 1st Rounder (the Pick the Cavs sent to the Hawks for Kyle Korver the previous season)
Hawks Receive: Channing Frye, Richard Jefferson
This clears $10 million of salary

Cavs Receive: Nikola Jokic
Nuggets Receive: Kevin Love, The two draft picks above
This is a double bonus, getting a younger player with higher upside and clearing ~$20 million in salary

Cavs Renounce all Cap Holds
This clears another ~$12 million opening up a max slot

Stephen Curry signs 4 year/$149.13 million contract with the Cavs
With my 3 offers available i sent max offers to KD, Curry and CP3, KD opted to re-sign with Warriors but I couldn't afford both CP3 and Curry so i took Curry

Big FA Signings :
KD, Warriors
Curry, Cavs
CP3, Clippers
PG13, Indiana
Gordon Hayward, Utah
Blake Griffin, Mavericks
Paul Millsap, Chicago Bulls
George Hill, Utah
Jeff Teague, Pacers
Rudy Gay, 76ers

Power Rankings (NBA.com)
1: Warriors (starting 5, Dinwiddie, Klay, KD, Draymond, Bogut
2: Spurs (starting 5, Parker, Tony Allen, Kawhi, LMA, Pau Gasol)
3: Cavs
4: Clippers (starting 5, CP3, Redick, OG Anunoby, Terrence Jones, DJ
5: Celtics
6: Rockets
7: Thunder
8: Jazz
9: Wizards
10: Raptors
Old 03-07-2018, 11:08 PM   #3
MVP

Trackball's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Share Your Experience with "Start in Offseason"

Josh Jackson is wearing 99 and Zhou Qi's name isn't flagged to put Zhou on the jersey instead of Qi.

The former can be fixed. The latter cannot--not without changing his displayed name to "Qi Zhou."

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »