Home

For a new cfm, how do you build your team?

This is a discussion on For a new cfm, how do you build your team? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-05-2017, 05:15 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 9
For a new cfm, how do you build your team?

Just curious question for those out here that are experts at improving "rebuild teams," Dolphins, Browns, Jets, etc. From the first loading up your franchise, what moves do you do to turn the team into your style. Do you change the schemes, do you change the playbooks?

Part of my problem, is with the Jets, my style would be to follow the Falcons mold of fast, young really physical guys. Basically, I want to turn the defense into how the original Seahawks/Falcons are. How should I set the scheme? I will try to change coaches, but always get stuck with a made up guy. So how would you all suggest I do this? Any help is appreciated.

Also, just seeing if others ignore scheme/playbooks and look at attributes?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2017, 06:21 AM   #2
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10
Re: For a new cfm, how do you build your team?

You could always pretend the made up guy is the SEA/ATL D-coordinator, so basically you can build your defense around them without worrying too much about sticking to his current scheme.

As for me, I always focus on offensive versatility. I like to keep a guy who can play WR and HB, basically a slot/3rd-down back type of player who can fill in for injuries or simply take a short pass to the house at any time. For running backs I've always liked the undersized, scat backs. This year I've fallen in love with power backs. Nothing more satisfying then running down the teeth of the defense and blowing up a defender. QBs I want at least some mobility, I don't run much but being able to escape the pocket and extend plays is helpful, which is needed because my OL's primary responsibility is run blocking.

On defense I'm pretty bland, I kind of just build my defense around my scheme. If it's 43 my line is PR PR NT PR. LB's are Cover 2 and DBs need to be good at zone. 34 I've used a little, but I keep it very basic. Which is why my defense is usually not great. I play bend but don't break and hope my offense keeps my defense off the field.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:54 AM   #3
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I usually try to build to the best version of the head coach's preferred schemes on both sides of the ball.

I typically relegate myself to the default playbooks for that team in year one, and make a rule that I can adjust schemes and playbooks in the off-season if I like.

No matter how you do it, I think the key is to settle on an identity on both sides of the ball and build to that. I also think it's important to decide, for your scheme, which players on both sides of the ball that you're willing to pay major money to and which positions you're willing to go bargain-hunting at.

I'm with Tim on the OL. I normally focus lots of energy on upgrading there, as poor teams in Madden often have garbage OL and this will get your drafted franchise QB or franchise HB killed. Last year, I redrafted 4 of my 5 OL within the first two years because the guys I had were basura.
Old 12-06-2017, 10:11 AM   #4
Rookie

OVR: 0

On offense I usually try to build a good run game. Usually I prefer a power back to beat the defense down, a quick passing game to keep the ball moving with decent sized receivers who can run block with quick route running slot receivers.

On defense I'm pretty basic, usually I run a 4-3, start by building up the DLine so I have 4 guys that can get to the QB and a couple of fast LBs that can clean up the run, and the secondary I usually play zone coverage and just try to find some average guys who can hold up just long enough for my pass rush to get home.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:47 PM   #5
Rookie

I treat it as if I were taking over a team in real life. See what I have at qb, if he is young and can develop then I go with him and improve my offense in other areas. I will focus 70% of my draft on defense and 60% on free agency. If I have an older qb I do 80% of my draft on defense and 60% of free agency still on defense. Try to build my lines on both side of the ball first. Find a big and fast wr to stretch the field, a quick smaller slot. I usually do a 2 back set, on bigger pounding 3 down back and and scat back. I like the 4-3 and run a lot of man with zone under it. I blitz about 35% of the time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-06-2017, 05:33 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMJOHNS18
You could always pretend the made up guy is the SEA/ATL D-coordinator, so basically you can build your defense around them without worrying too much about sticking to his current scheme.

As for me, I always focus on offensive versatility. I like to keep a guy who can play WR and HB, basically a slot/3rd-down back type of player who can fill in for injuries or simply take a short pass to the house at any time. For running backs I've always liked the undersized, scat backs. This year I've fallen in love with power backs. Nothing more satisfying then running down the teeth of the defense and blowing up a defender. QBs I want at least some mobility, I don't run much but being able to escape the pocket and extend plays is helpful, which is needed because my OL's primary responsibility is run blocking.

On defense I'm pretty bland, I kind of just build my defense around my scheme. If it's 43 my line is PR PR NT PR. LB's are Cover 2 and DBs need to be good at zone. 34 I've used a little, but I keep it very basic. Which is why my defense is usually not great. I play bend but don't break and hope my offense keeps my defense off the field.
Do you play as the owner cfm or coach? See that's what I've been doing wrong. If I was let's say the Browns and pretended like my new coach had a Seattle like D. I would change my playbook and my entire defensive scheme to match Seattle's on the game. If change each position on D to match there's. From Safety, cb to Dl. Then I'd find guys in that scheme .

Looking now, I think creating an identity on D is far better
Old 12-06-2017, 09:56 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6

I leave the coach but install the schemes I want. Defensively I look for pass rushing lineman, and athletic MLB, an ROLB that is solid in run support, and balance in my secondary. Speed is a priority on my defense and I need versatile safeties because they need to be interchangeable since the game doesn't have true strong and free safety positions, it's more like right and left safety. Offensively I don't really have a scheme, I just look for good players and get them the ball. I build a strong O-line and spread the ball amongst my skill position players. A guy like Julio Jones or Antonio Brown would be a nice luxury but I don't think I'd utilize them to their full potential because of how I run my offense
Old 12-06-2017, 11:06 PM   #8
Rookie

I usually run the entire first year with the team as is, with some formation subs that are realistic to the team im currently using (Raiders). From their I typically change the scheme (if desired) to what I want and build through the draft signing a few stop gaps if needed. Not much of a trade guy being you can really take advantage of the AI, takes a little longer but more rewarding in my opinion. I usually run a hybrid defense and build my team both sides of the ball around the trenches.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »