Home

What 2k considers "good contests"

This is a discussion on What 2k considers "good contests" within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-07-2017, 11:39 AM   #1
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

OVR: 2
What 2k considers "good contests"

In the video attached below, a sim youtuber (2k Kingslayer) highlights the problem with lightly "contested" layups in 2k. I mostly play Pro Am and PNO btw.

1. Just being "around",(not in front, not in good position, not even jumping sometimes) is enough to force a easy layup to miss, even with superstars.
2. This is compounded by the effect of layup timing. 2k said that layup timing would just be a boost to your layups, and it wasn't mandatory to use it. However, its clearly not and the fact that we can't see Casper's timer is important.
3. This happens constantly when I play online. At least 5 times a game.

Last edited by shayellis; 12-07-2017 at 01:35 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 4
Re: What 2k considers "good contests"

Same for pullups, players stumbling past count as "contested"
Old 12-07-2017, 12:21 PM   #3
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Agree and Disagree.

I agree that timing is much more crucial than implied. I time every lay up I take, so maybe that's why I dont see many blown open or lightly contested lay ups..

If anything, I feel way too many contested layups go in after the adjustment they made back in October. This is part of the reason the hip ride sequence has become so much more of a nuisance

This is from a PNO perspective

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 12-07-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayellis
In the video attached below, a sim youtuber (2k Kingslayer) highlights the problem with lightly "contested" layups in 2k.

1. Just being "around",(not in front, not in good position, not even jumping sometimes) is enough to force a easy layup to miss, even with superstars.
2. This is compounded by the effect of layup timing. 2k said that layup timing would just be a boost to your layups, and it wasn't mandatory to use it. However, its clearly not and the fact that we can't see Casper's timer is important.
3. This happens constantly when I play online. At least 5 times a game.

I see what he's saying.... But there are 2 things here in play. A lot of people don't see it's working in the background.

First of all, Nothing should be automatic. Seriously... Nothing can be. Until that ball goes in the hoop there should be so many variables happening.

One thing here is layup release point. It's before the ball comes out of his hand.

Two LeBron James is coming down the baseline for help defense. I'm sure the final reason Harden mess the shot is because LeBron James has a high contest and other things (badges).

Finally I don't want to repeat myself.... But... Nothing should be automatic in a game.
Old 12-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #5
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Agree and Disagree.

I agree that timing is much more crucial than implied. I time every lay up I take, so maybe that's why I dont see many blown open or lightly contested lay ups..

If anything, I feel way too many contested layups go in after the adjustment they made back in October. This is part of the reason the hip ride sequence has become so much more of a nuisance

This is from a PNO perspective

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
I play mainly in Pro Am with some PNO, I will put that in the OP. In Pro Am it varies drastically. Like a slasher will make almost every layup, contested or not, and other times, the lightest amount of defense will force a miss.

Also another side issue is when defenders put their hand through or into the net, and 2k considers that a good contest.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-07-2017, 01:43 PM   #6
Rookie

shayellis's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9
I see what he's saying.... But there are 2 things here in play. A lot of people don't see it's working in the background.

First of all, Nothing should be automatic. Seriously... Nothing can be. Until that ball goes in the hoop there should be so many variables happening.

One thing here is layup release point. It's before the ball comes out of his hand.

Two LeBron James is coming down the baseline for help defense. I'm sure the final reason Harden mess the shot is because LeBron James has a high contest and other things (badges).

Finally I don't want to repeat myself.... But... Nothing should be automatic in a game.
I agree that nothing should be guaranteed. Which is why green releases being automatic makes should never happen.
Even if he releases the ball early, timing should not be a critical factor on a open layup like that, it's still James Harden afterall. Timing should not be such a critical factor that it should make or break a layup like this with James Harden. That type of logic is similar to what people use when saying they should make all their shots if they time it right(Not saying you think that).

IMO it should be more about quality of shots/layups than timing.

As far as the Lebron thing, Lebron is running under harden as he goes for a layup, Lebron is not in good position and should had virtually no affect on that layup, regardless of badges. Badges shouldn't overwrite bad position. Or from a developer standpoint, Lebrons defensive badges should not activate from that position.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
Banned

OVR: 0

Cmon man..

For one, it's ONE play. Any 'evidence' should show a pattern not one play. For 2, if anything contested shots go in too much, we don't need more contested shots to go in. For 3, the defender was obviously near him.
Old 12-07-2017, 02:15 PM   #8
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by shayellis
I agree that nothing should be guaranteed. Which is why green releases being automatic makes should never happen.
Even if he releases the ball early, timing should not be a critical factor on a open layup like that, it's still James Harden afterall. Timing should not be such a critical factor that it should make or break a layup like this with James Harden. That type of logic is similar to what people use when saying they should make all their shots if they time it right(Not saying you think that).

IMO it should be more about quality of shots/layups than timing.

As far as the Lebron thing, Lebron is running under harden as he goes for a layup, Lebron is not in good position and should had virtually no affect on that layup, regardless of badges. Badges shouldn't overwrite bad position. Or from a developer standpoint, Lebrons defensive badges should not activate from that position.
Agree with everything you said. Especially with the open vs timing

Just want to say something about the badges here. It's not only that. There is another rating here in play. Shot Contest rating which could be playing a part here too. Especially if a defender has a high rating (which I'm sure LeBron has). Just standing around a players can cause him to miss.

But I think even James Harden should be able to miss a layup like this. LeBron misses layup like these too. But I'm sure if you had an exact scenario like this again. Harden would make this layup.

There have been these force field things in 2k for the last 3 years. This is the first year they opened it up (body contact wise). But a defensive players footprint is just as big.

This is what it's all about. Defenders Footprint.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »