Home

Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules

This is a discussion on Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-17-2017, 09:33 PM   #1
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3
Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules

Curious if anyone uses house rules outside of xp sliders to make their offline franchises more realistic/fair so that the user doesn't have more of an advantage over the CPU?

Things like using less scouting points, only scouting certain rounds, resign or FA house rules, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #2
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

OVR: 6
Re: Scouting/Draft/Progression/Roster house rules

I stopped allowing myself to sign undrafted offensive linemen because they're too easy to develop. I don't look at the draft stories. I don't have any trade rules, but if any offer sounds too good to be true I reduce what the cpu is offering to make it something I would feel is more realistic
Old 12-17-2017, 10:32 PM   #3
Rookie

SyncereBlackout's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
Curious if anyone uses house rules outside of xp sliders to make their offline franchises more realistic/fair so that the user doesn't have more of an advantage over the CPU?

Things like using less scouting points, only scouting certain rounds, resign or FA house rules, etc.

Yes but it’s entirely stat driven. Could you share (post or DM) your teams season stats or stats for a sample of games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NY Jets
NY Yankees
NY Rangers
Florida Gators
Old 12-18-2017, 12:32 PM   #4
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

I have a drafting house rule that I've used to good effect.

For projected 1st round picks, I allow myself to scout all 3 traits. For all other rounds, I allow myself to scout only the top 2 traits.

This helps balance the HUM draft with the CPU's draft and allows you to genuinely whiff on players, even on first-day players.

A modified version of this rule would allow all 3 attributes to be scouted for day-one picks and only 2 attributes for day-two picks.

I like the idea about not reading the draft stories. Once you learn how these work, they give the user an advantage for sure.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:47 PM   #5
MVP

I take trojan man's scouting rule a bit further.

1st round = all 3 traits
2nd round = 2 traits
3-7th rounds = 1 trait

It ends up making me draft a lot of later round people using mostly combine results as my scouting. Sometimes you will snag a physical freak with good skills late, sometimes you will get a WR with 99 speed but can't catch a ball to save his life late in the draft. I like it that way.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-18-2017, 11:05 PM   #6
MVP

TMJOHNS18's Arena

OVR: 10

And I take it one step even further. I only scout one trait for players. 1st rounders can get up to 2. I only scout 3 traits for guys I 'bring in for workouts.' Basically the 3-5 guys at the top of my board.

I also focus on guys schemes and try to limit the number of guys I scout late. After say the 4th round projections I scout a few at each position and only schemes so I'm keying in on a certain type of player. This helps remove the temptation of overdrafting a position because you've scouted all of them. Do from round 5 I'd only have 3-4 WR I may take, instead of scouting 15 of them.

One more, the only UDFAs I can sign are guys I scouted. So near the end I make a shortlist of players and can sign in preseason. This prevents picking up just the top UDFAs by sorting.

And, to take it one step even further... I like to sort by age when filling out roster/PS. I don't look at overall and just sign based on name recognition or player style. If I don't 'scout' then I shouldnt know too much about them.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:03 AM   #7
MVP

Now we just need one more person to come in "well i take it one step FURTHER and don't scout at all" lol.

We all have very similar mindsets when it comes to ease of scouting and how to combat it though. I like it.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:19 AM   #8
Hall Of Fame

reyes the roof's Arena

On the topic of scouting, what do the red and green diamonds mean? I assumed it meant green means he is a better prospect that his original projection showed and red means worse, but I see guys projected to go undrafted get the green diamonds. I might need to cut back on my scouting to stop revealing them

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »