Home

2017 NFL Draft Post-Mortum

This is a discussion on 2017 NFL Draft Post-Mortum within the Pro Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 12-30-2017, 08:51 AM   #1
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
2017 NFL Draft Post-Mortum

Season's coming to a close, thought it might be fun to take a look back at the 2017 draft and see how some of these guys did.

Best Pick: New Orleans Saints; Alvin Kamara, #67 OVR, 111 carries for 684 yards (6.2 ypc), 75 receptions for 742 yards (9.9 YPR), 12 TDs.

Is there really any question? He gets compared to Reggie Bush, but I think that's selling him short. I don't want to put him in the Marshall Faulk category, but he's compact, not small like Bush. 5'10" and 214 pounds, he's got the body to be a full time back (though he wouldn't be as good). As it is, he's the perfect compliment to Mark Ingram, and the two have made one another better.

Worst Pick: Arizona Cardinals; Haason Reddick, #13 OVR, 19 tackles, 2.5 sacks

While he could simply be a victim of timing, as he was intended to be an inside linebacker but has had to play away from his natural position due to injuries, his playing time and productivity have declined consistently over the course of the year. He hasn't had more than 2 tackles in a game since week 1 (when he had 6 against Detroit) and he's shown little overall improvement.

A couple other thoughts;

* I think Mitch Trubisky's gonna be a pretty good NFL quarterback. I love his footwork, he's steadily improved as the season's gone on (he's completed at least 60% of his passes over the past 4 games). He has a talent for avoiding the rush and getting the ball out accurately, and as his familiarity with NFL offenses improve, I think Bears fans will look back on The Trade more with admiration than disgust.

* The Bengals learned why you never put too much stock in the combine. John Ross was a 2nd or lower round pick in most mocks prior to the combine, and I'd seen him ranked as low as the #15 WR in the class prior to the combine. The knocks? Injury issues, not physical. This is the NFL, guys, if you can't take punishment, you can't play.

* John Lynch was praised for his first round moves, dropping just one spot to select Soloman Thomas and moving back into the first to grab Reuben Foster. The jury is still a bit out on both. While Foster's been a monster when he's played, he seems to be constantly nagged by minor injuries. The amount of time he spends under the blue tent is worrying. It seems like he comes out for a series every time he makes a tackle. As for Thomas, while his game has steadily improved as the season's gone on, he's been a high motor player and an OK run defender but little else. Doesn't mean he wont pan out, but he's played like a good 3rd round pick, not a #3 overall.

* I think DeShone Kiser has a future in this league, I really do. I know, he's statistically the worst QB in the NFL... wasn't that Goff last year? The lesson to learn from Goff (and Dak Prescott for that matter) is you never judge a QB on his rookie year, period. Kiser came out too soon, and needs time, but under the right coach with a veteran to learn from, I think he can develop into a nice starting QB.

* Marshon Lattimore isn't possible. I don't believe him. You come out of college athletic and sometimes instinctive, but you don't come out this polished and fundamentally sound. This guy is going to be the best CB in the NFL for 10 years.

* The 49ers got a gem in Trent Taylor in the 5th. He is quick as hell and runs fantastic routes. He's gonna be a staple in the slot for a long time, the kind of guy Jimmy Garoppolo can lean on. I'm sure there are a dozen examples of day 3 guys who'll have a nice career that only their own teams fans know about, but this is the guy on my team and I'm excited for him.

Winner of the 2017 draft: New Orleans, who the hell else?

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.

Last edited by adembroski; 12-30-2017 at 09:14 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-30-2017, 06:28 PM   #2
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: 2017 NFL Draft Post-Mortum

For the moment I think Houston has to be included in the draft winners. Deshaun Watson was on an absolute tear before he tore his ACL in practice in a freak non-contact injury. In a league dominated by quarterback play, that Houston appears to have found one (assuming Watson continues to build upon his fantastic start) will change the trajectory of their franchise.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:48 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

LowerWolf's Arena

OVR: 19

I knew Kamara would be special. It's criminal how underused he was at UT.
Old 12-31-2017, 12:33 AM   #4
Come get some!

Candyman5's Arena

I don't think you can count out Minnesota either.

Dalvin Cook was the leading rusher before his injury and Pat Elflen came in and made a Immediate Impact on the Oline.

Steam ID: STEAM_0:0:37844096

Teams:
NCAA/PRO Football - Miami Hurricanes/Minnesota Vikings
NCAA/PRO Basketball - Syracuse Orange/NJ Nets
NCAA/PRO Baseball - Miami Hurricanes/NY Yankees
Old 12-31-2017, 12:58 AM   #5
All Star

LambertandHam's Arena

OVR: 17

Steelers class looking good so far. Watt with six sacks on the year, JuJu looking like Hines, Sutton in his limited starting time, Conner was alright in spot duty before getting hurt. Jury is out on Dobbs.

PSN: BigGreenZaku

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 12-31-2017, 05:53 AM   #6
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
For the moment I think Houston has to be included in the draft winners. Deshaun Watson was on an absolute tear before he tore his ACL in practice in a freak non-contact injury. In a league dominated by quarterback play, that Houston appears to have found one (assuming Watson continues to build upon his fantastic start) will change the trajectory of their franchise.
So here's the thing with Watson...

Fewest drops in the NFL, most dropped INTs, most fumbles recovered by his own team during his time starting. While he showed some amazing skills, he also had amazing luck. I'm not saying he's not great, I'm just not ready to crown him yet. During his time as starter, he led the league in turnover-worthy plays according to PFO, he just happened to have few of them end up actually turnovers. That worries me.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 01-03-2018, 12:22 PM   #7
YNWA

ImTellinTim's Arena

OVR: 32

I'm still not sure the Bears had to trade up to draft Mitch there. I think they fully played themselves, but I agree with you on his progression. And that was with absolute bottom-of-the-barrel talent at WR and a completely unimaginative offensive scheme.

The Bears also hit on their two 4th round picks, safety Eddie Jackson and running back Tarik Cohen. When you get immediate impact from 4th round picks, you have to be happy. Both provided big moments and will be regular contributors going forward.

2nd round pick TE Adam Shaheen was OK, but you might want a little more out of the 45th pick of the draft.

For a draft with so few picks, the Bears actually did well.
Old 01-03-2018, 01:48 PM   #8
49ers

adembroski's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImTellinTim
I'm still not sure the Bears had to trade up to draft Mitch there. I think they fully played themselves, but I agree with you on his progression. And that was with absolute bottom-of-the-barrel talent at WR and a completely unimaginative offensive scheme.

The Bears also hit on their two 4th round picks, safety Eddie Jackson and running back Tarik Cohen. When you get immediate impact from 4th round picks, you have to be happy. Both provided big moments and will be regular contributors going forward.

2nd round pick TE Adam Shaheen was OK, but you might want a little more out of the 45th pick of the draft.

For a draft with so few picks, the Bears actually did well.
I think if you see your guy and you really believe he's your guy, you go get him. You don't take the risk. You pay what you gotta pay and you go get him.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

-Mark Twain.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Pro Football »