Home

2018 AMA Monster Energy Supercross

This is a discussion on 2018 AMA Monster Energy Supercross within the Racing forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-07-2018, 11:16 AM   #1
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

OVR: 16
2018 AMA Monster Energy Supercross

The seasons started last night.
A couple changes this season , there’s no more semi races.
Both the 250 and 450 classes are back to the 2 heat , 1 LCQ
and main event races.
Also new in the metal start platform adding super grip at the start.

Round 1 Anaheim

250 main top 5 finishers
1. #28 Shane McElrath
2. #23 Aaron Plessinger
3. #92 Adam Cianciarulo
4. #17 Joey Savatgy
5. #32 Christian Craig

450 main top 5 finishers
1. #25 Marvin Musquin
2. #21 Jason Anderson
3. #51 Justin Barcia
4. #94 Ken Roczen - welcome back Ken
5. #34 Weston Peick

Notable moment 450 main event - #3 Eli Tomac got out to a 5 second
lead in the first few laps then crashed. He continued for a couple laps
then left the race with a shoulder problem for a DNF.

More info from the official site on this seasons changes:
https://www.supercrosslive.com/news/...announced-2018

The 2018 season promises to be the most exciting and entertaining of all-time as a new era of Monster Energy AMA Supercross, an FIM World Championship, will change the battleground forever with a revised points system, the addition of three Triple Crown Monster Energy Cup-style events, two 250SX East/West Showdowns, four Supercross Amateur racing events and the elimination of semi races in qualifying for the Main Event.

As the most competitive and highest-profile motorcycle racing championship in the world, Monster Energy Supercross has entertained millions of fans for 43 years. For the first time in over two decades, the 2018 season will debut an all-new points system to evenly allocate points over all 22 finishing positions. While the gap between 1st, 2nd and 3rd has not changed, the new points system will ensure that the race to the championship will be much more competitive throughout the season as the reward is greater for a better finish.

The elimination of semi races will add further pressure to qualify as the world's most elite endurance athletes will have just two chances to ensure a spot in the Main Event through one of two heat races or a last chance qualifier (LCQ). This year, the Top 9 in each heat will qualify directly into the Main Event while positions 10-20 will have one last chance to make it through the LCQ. Previously, only five positions would transfer to the Main Event from the heat races and all others would be transferred to a semi race. Eliminating the semi races will make for longer heat races and last chance qualifiers, allowing for more intense battles on the track from the stars for the fans.

From a fan's perspective, the most anticipated change in 2018 will be the introduction of the Monster Energy Supercross Triple Crown, a three-city showdown hosted at Angel Stadium in Anaheim on January 20, Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta on March 3 and U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis on April 14 where both the 250SX and 450SX Classes will compete in three Main Events. Qualifying races will deduce the field to the top 22 riders in each class, and the 250SX Class will compete in 6-, 10- and 12-minute Main Events, while the 450SX Class will compete in 8-, 12- and 15-minute Main Events. An Olympic-style scoring method will be used to determine an overall winner in each class from all three Main Events where the lowest combined score at the end will be awarded the overall win.

Additionally, two 250SX East/West Showdowns will double the excitement in Indianapolis and Las Vegas this season as fans will have the opportunity to see 20 of the fastest riders from each coast (Eastern Regional 250SX Class Championship and Western Regional 250SX Class Championship) battling each other for victory. The Main Event will be the first and only time throughout the night where all of the 250SX Class stars will line up on the gate for a 15-minute plus 1 lap Main Event where winner takes all.

Another dramatic change to the 2018 season includes the addition of four Supercross Amateur racing events at Angel Stadium in Anaheim on January 21, University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale on January 28, Raymond James Stadium in Tampa on February 25 and Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta on March 4, which will give amateur athletes in 29 classes their only chance to compete. So, with those four events coupled with the March 11 and 12 dates where amateur racing will take place at Daytona, aspiring amateurs can race in the same venue on the same weekend as all of the stars of Supercross.

Along with format changes, every track in 2018 will have a distinct personality that tells the story of each city's Supercross history dating back over 43 years.

Last edited by JMD; 01-07-2018 at 11:30 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-07-2018, 08:55 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 19
Re: 2018 AMA Monster Energy Supercross

I like the metal start platform it's similar to mxgp.

Not sure how I feel about getting rid of the semi's and going back to the old format.

I hate to see a fast guy get taken out on the start of a race by a slower rider's crash and being forced to trudge through to the lcq and possibly miss the main or be stuck with a crap gate pick.....as long as the first turn remains a huge factor in who wins....the non semi format may produce a main without the best riders or put a fast guy at a disadvantage due to someone elses mistake.

Jury is still out on this triple crown deal....I will give it a chance before I form an opinion.

I dont want to see supercross go the way of "manufactured drama" similar to what nascar has done with it's "chase" format and such.

This sport is in a great place at the moment.
Old 01-14-2018, 12:43 AM   #3
MVP

Wow what a shake up in points tonight
Old 01-14-2018, 10:04 AM   #4
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

Round 2 Houston
250 main top 5 finishers
1. #23 Aaron Plessinger
2. #17 Joey Savatgy
3. #40 Chase Sexton
4. #28 Shane McElrath
5. #32 Christian Craig

250 Point standings
1. #23 Aaron Plessinger 49 Wins - 1
2. #28 Shane McElrath -4 Wins - 1
3. #17 Joey Savatgy -7
4. #92 Adam Cianciarulo -12
5. #40 Chase Sexton -13

450 main top 5 finishers
1. #21 Jason Anderson
2. #94 Ken Roczen
3. #51 Justin Barcia
4. #14 Cole Seely
5. #34 Weston Peick

450 Point standings
1. #21 Jason Anderson 49 Wins - 1
2. #94 Ken Roczen -7
3. #51 Justin Barcia -7
4. 14 Cole Seeley -13
5. #34 Weston Peick -13

Important Notes:
#3 Eli Tomac did not race. He’s still bothered by the shoulder injury from last weeks crash

#25 Marvin Musquin crashed in his heat race and dislocated his shoulder. They popped it back in before the main but he didn’t feel he was good to go so he did not race the main event.
Old 01-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #5
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richzilla
Wow what a shake up in points tonight
Yes indeed. I really wish at some point the video games would incorporate injuries into season mode. Roczen looks good back I don't think he's back to 100% yet. Hope to see Tomac and Musquin back in the lineup soon.

Also I love seeing Barcia back in the mix, always like that kid.

Last edited by JMD; 01-14-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2018, 11:06 AM   #6
MVP

Agree 100%

Ken will be stronger each week and Barcia is making it tough to pull him off the bike in a few weeks...he's seems in a good place in his life now and he's riding great.

I was surprised how strong Stewart rode all night...He always has speed...I expected him to fade in the main. I was wrong.

A2 will be the first triple crown format race.....I will reserve judgement until I see how it works out.

No idea how to handle fantasy picks with this format...lol
Old 01-21-2018, 09:54 AM   #7
JMD
MVP

JMD's Arena

I’m not a fan of this triple crown set up. It will ruin supercross just like the stages ruined nascar. I’m glad they only do it a couple times a season.

Round 3 Anaheim triple crown
250 main #1
1. #17 Savatgy
2. #32 Craig
3. #52 Oldenburg
4. #92 Cianciarulo
5. #28 McElrath

250 main #2
1. #28 McElrath
2. #17 Savatgy
3. #32 Craig
4. #23 Plessinger
5. #92 Cianciarulo

250 main #3
1. #17 Savatgy
2. #92 Cianciarulo
3. #40 Sexton
4. #28 McElrath
5. #32 Craig

Overall winner
#17 Savatgy

250 point standings
1. #17 Savatgy 68 Wins 1
2. #28 McElrath 68 wins 1
3. #23 Plessinger -2 wins 1
4. #32 Craig -11
5. #92 Cianciarulo-12

450 main #1
1. #14 Cole Seely
2. #10 Justin Brayton
3. #4 Blake Baggett
4. #34 Weston Peick
5. #3 Eli Tomac

450 main #2
1. #3 Tomac
2. #14 Seely
3. #21 Anderson
4. #33 Grant
5. #51 Barcia

450 main #3
1. #21 Anderson
2. #3 Tomac
3. #10 Brayton
4. #94 Roczen
5. #34 Peick

450 overall winner
#3 Tomac

450 point standings
1. #21 Anderson 70 wins 1
2. #14 Seely -11
3. #51 Barcia -13
4. #94 Roczen -14
5. #34 Peick -16
Old 01-21-2018, 11:23 AM   #8
MVP

I make comparisons to NASCAR all the time when talking about how not to kill the sport. The attempt at manufactured drama and forcing the drivers to be PC took the personality out of it....Big reasons the stands are half full many weeks.

I mean you can win every race of the season and have a bad pit stop at homestead in the final 50 laps and the champion is someone who finished 15th each week in theory.

The triple crown is a little different as each segment counts to the overall.

I like elements of it and don't like others.

I dont like how the show flowed....it felt like a nascar rain delay in the middle of the broadcast...I dont need to know about dirt or how awesome the "VIP" area is multiple times....that felt like a cheap attempt to sell.

I like

*It put more meaning on qualifying
*It's similar to outdoor in terms of an "overall"
*3 chances to get a decent start
*1 guy didnt check out 3 laps in and cruise...good guys had to work through the pack more.
*Short first main gives a small team that gets a good start a chance to be more in the mix
*Each race had all the riders going for it full out

I dont like
*Not showing the LCQ's
*Too Much fluff/filler----This is now must dvr tv...no watching live.
*Not having the guy who lights the flames in the last race be the winner...that felt weird (Even if outdoors is the same)

Overall I'm liking it better than what NASCAR did....please dont let them do any type of chase...fingers crossed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Other Sports > Racing »