Home

Please 2K give us an unrestricted career mode in 2K19!

This is a discussion on Please 2K give us an unrestricted career mode in 2K19! within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-12-2018, 09:57 AM   #1
Rookie

adamspag's Arena

OVR: 0

Sorry for the upcoming Rant. And I know this is posted every year but,

I love career modes in sports games, it gives me an opportunity to live out a fantasy. I play the career modes of every major sports title every year, 2K, FIFA, Madden, UFC, MLB the show, NHL, PES, Cricket. F1 it goes on and on. But something about 2K’s mode absolutely infuriates me and that is the attribute caps. It sucks out all the fun of the mode and legitimately makes me not want to play the mode at all. And why the caps? It’s because of Esports, something that does not concern me at all. Why do I have to suffer because of a game mode I don’t play? Why do I have the be one of the slowest players at my position in the league because of pro-am and the park?

Now I understand why they need stat caps for the park and pro-am, it is completely justified for balance purposes and I don’t think that should change, but why can’t we have an unrestricted career mode without attribute caps. A career mode just like 2k18 without caps on our attributes where we just play against the AI without the ability to enter the park or pro-am

In my opinion, it has gone from one of the best video game career modes in 2K14 and 2K15 to what I can safely say as “the worst career mode” in any of the big yearly sport titles. I’m even starting to prefer maddens connected franchise mode, a mode by the way that has literally not been touched in 4 years over 2K’s.

As an example, I just finished a game on my Small forward shot creator against the bucks and Giannis, not only is Giannis 3 inches taller than me, has a longer wingspan, weights more, is stronger, has a better vertical leap but he is also faster…… and it’s not even close! My Small forward, currently has a 68 speed with ball with a potential of reaching 74, Giannis on the other hand has a 90 speed with ball! A 16-attribute point difference! And the thing that bothers me the most is that no matter how many games I play, no matter how many drills I do, not matter how hard I train, I will never be able to make up that attribute difference. I understand he is the Greek freak but why can’t my character be a freak as well? It is a video game after all.

Why can’t I be a 7ft 7 centre with a 99-speed rating and HOF ankle breaker? Hell, if the max stat for everything is 99 let me achieve a 105 as long as I put in the work and grind. Don’t get me wrong on that statement I don’t want those for free, I want to earn those attribute upgrades, through training and playing the game just like 2k18 my career. Its offline against the AI, who cares? I don’t want to be a role player I want to work my way up to being the GOAT in career modes, it’s what makes it fun, having the potential to break records, win titles and be the greatest of all time. Again, it is a video game, why shouldn’t we be able to do this stuff? Why do I have to be slow because I want to be tall? Why does my shooting have to suffer because I want my wingspan longer, why do I have to have a ****ty block rating on my power forward just because I want a good post hook rating? It sucks and takes away all the fun this game mode used to produce.

And for those of you that say to me “Play my league” I understand that line of thinking and respect it. But I want a sense of progression, I want to unlock clothing, sponsors, haircuts, endorsements, tattoos, grind out my badges in training, earn new animations, have press conferences, phone calls with my agent, work my way up in the line-up, my league does not have that, you progress once a year and your progression has nothing to do with how well you play but how many minutes you play. I love the way you progress this year in mycareer, working on your badges in practice through drills earning experience for playing games.

Make us spend VC for attribute upgrades, animations, haircuts and tattoos, don’t let us modify sliders or rosters to avoid VC exploits I don’t care. You used to reward us for playing on a harder difficulty, something no other sport game did and it was awesome! But you took that away, why? I don’t know probably because of the park and pro-am again.
Here is a video from Chris Smoove with similar complaints, it is from last year and apat from the double team rant at the start still holds up.

Please 2K, make my career great again! In 2k19 give us an unrestricted career mode.

Last edited by adamspag; 01-12-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-12-2018, 10:30 AM   #2
Banned

Re: Please 2K give us an unrestricted career mode in 2K19!

I agree, but go one stage further. When these caps were introduced, I understood that it was to try and balance online play so I got what they were trying to do, but having had 2 years of these now, it actually works against their initial intentions.

In 14 & 15 (current gen) there was a noticeable skill gap, despite the fact that everyone had players that could get all the badges and max their attributes, but archetypes have taken that aspect of the game away. these days, you can get drafted to the e-league and basically have a game that consists of nothing more than grinding badges, standing in the corners, and timing a button press. That's it, nothing more skillful than that.

They need to go back to 2k14 or 15, but introduce some height caps; people complained about 7ft SF's so make the max height for a SF 6'8 or 6'9, but max a PG out at 6'5, SG out at 6'7.

Archetypes have been the worst introduction into the franchise in my opinion, and despite the fact they were introduced for purely the right reasons, they've provided more imbalance to the game than people were complaining about before.

I'd really like to see us have control over our players again in 2k19, go back to gold badges only (or maybe even let us pick 1 HoF badge of our own choosing for each player we create), and go back to having fun with this series rather than a grind. We all started playing video games because they were/are fun. Somewhere along the road (to 99), this important factor seems to have been lost.
Old 01-12-2018, 10:55 AM   #3
Rookie

blazenmusic20's Arena

You guys are right on the money. I’ve been saying this since 2K16. 2K needs to separate the park and pro-am stat caps from the semi-offline aspect of simply playing against the AI. I too would love to make a super athletic player who is tall and long as a rookie. Eventually, with practice and performance, I would like to be able to develop that player’s skills continuously until he becomes the greatest of all-time (developing shooting, ball handling, passing, ect).

What if 2K simply applied the stat caps of your archetype only when entering the online arena (pro-am, Park, ect)? But when we are going through our NBA career, those stats can be maxed out depending on practice and performance in actual games?

Even separating the progression of attributes in Park and pro-am from your NBA career — the stat caps will only be applied in that park and pro-am arena. The progression of those stats will depend on how much ‘online arena’ grinding you do. Oppositely, your NBA stats will have no caps, and progression will be determined by performance in games and with practice. Wish we could get this message to the devs.

I too tried to play a player lock variation of my league, but the immersion isn’t there. I’ve never gotten past 10 games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2018, 03:49 PM   #4
Pro

triplechin's Arena

OVR: 2

My dream is let you MyCareer guys do whatever you want and have no relation between ProAM and Park and MyCareer. It would be awesome to have X amount of points to spend for ProAM and that way everyone is balanced.

FRANCHISE OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html

PROGRESSION OVERHAULED
https://forums.operationsports.com/f...verhauled.html
Old 01-12-2018, 07:07 PM   #5
Rookie

james_baller_84's Arena

A big yes from me on this one would love to get uncapped career with attributes and badges, but I doubt it is going to happen. They are so invested into this esport thing that they see this as taking a step back. But we can always dream. You don't even need to make it complicated with splitting attributes between playing against the AI and the park, just make an offline mode where you cant go to the park, just give people a big warning before making that character.
Even if they still want to go with a neighborhood type vibe they could put a bunch of NPC's in there so it is not dead in an offline mode, heh they could even keep the park in some sort of offline way, you take your character to the 3v3 park, step on the got next spot and 5 random AI NBA players step on and you can have a 3v3 street pick up game, that would be sick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yesh2k
I agree, but go one stage further. When these caps were introduced, I understood that it was to try and balance online play so I got what they were trying to do, but having had 2 years of these now, it actually works against their initial intentions.

In 14 & 15 (current gen) there was a noticeable skill gap, despite the fact that everyone had players that could get all the badges and max their attributes, but archetypes have taken that aspect of the game away. these days, you can get drafted to the e-league and basically have a game that consists of nothing more than grinding badges, standing in the corners, and timing a button press. That's it, nothing more skillful than that.

They need to go back to 2k14 or 15, but introduce some height caps; people complained about 7ft SF's so make the max height for a SF 6'8 or 6'9, but max a PG out at 6'5, SG out at 6'7.

Archetypes have been the worst introduction into the franchise in my opinion, and despite the fact they were introduced for purely the right reasons, they've provided more imbalance to the game than people were complaining about before.

I'd really like to see us have control over our players again in 2k19, go back to gold badges only (or maybe even let us pick 1 HoF badge of our own choosing for each player we create), and go back to having fun with this series rather than a grind. We all started playing video games because they were/are fun. Somewhere along the road (to 99), this important factor seems to have been lost.
I don't know it seems like pure sharpshooters are a big reason the park and pro AM is unbalanced not just Archetypes in general.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2018, 01:25 AM   #6
Rookie

I would absolutely love this feature to be added. Its funny this very feature was brought up today on Czar YouTube stream. They did a mini wish list on what feature they would like to see in 2k19 and someone mentioned an offline career mode. Starts at around 46:50

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRg5FRrFZ1k&t=2807s

Czar basically said that they are hesitant to add this feature as a result of what happened in 2k15 with the demigod rubbish people exploited.

Last edited by Double_Dribble Rea; 01-13-2018 at 01:33 AM.
Old 01-13-2018, 02:31 AM   #7
MVP

itsmb8's Arena

OVR: 5

Why cant we go through the regular upgrading system, but then it being capped for online? For example, reaching a 99 everything, yet when you go online only the upgrades up to the caps are in effect.
Old 01-13-2018, 08:24 AM   #8
Rookie

I'd Ratrher we go back to 2k11 and uncapped stats for online play so we can see whos the best of the best. Forget grinding mycareer...that takes way too long. Hell, i'd love for us to be able to purchase a 99 overall from day one and skip the grind so we can play online maxed out from the very beginiing. I'm sorry, but not everyone cares to grind for months to get an online avatar to see his maxed potential. I may not be the majority in this conversation, but i am voice in this community and i cant be the only one who feels the mycareer grind, is ridiculous.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »