Home

Microsoft looking to acquire EA

This is a discussion on Microsoft looking to acquire EA within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-03-2018, 08:35 AM   #1
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

OVR: 0
Microsoft looking to acquire EA

Several articles out there indicate that Microsoft is looking to acquire EA in an attempt to bring exclusive titles to XBox One. Man I hope this is true. Let’s face it NHL along with Madden and FIFA have gone stale.

I’m a Ps4 owner so I’m hoping if this happens it would open up the doors for someone like SCEA to create a hockey game, hopefully. We see what an amazing job they do with MLB. For you Xbox guys Microsoft would have to put effort into the games in order to compete with whatever Sony released or simply just to stimulate sales since they would be losing an entire console of sales.

This needs to happen or this game is going to continue to stagnate. Thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2018, 10:21 AM   #2
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32
Re: Microsoft looking to acquire EA

Nobody buys hockey games except us hardcore idiots. Lol. No other company wants to put time and effort into something that don’t make money.

I mean look at these sales. lol
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 3D4CC1CC-2785-4BFC-B412-A27CC42D3885.jpeg (228.2 KB, 173 views)
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 02-03-2018, 11:36 AM   #3
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Nobody buys hockey games except us hardcore idiots. Lol. No other company wants to put time and effort into something that don’t make money.

I mean look at these sales. lol
Might help with the sales if the game was any good
Old 02-03-2018, 12:31 PM   #4
Twitch/YouTube: Fiddy14

Fiddy's Arena

OVR: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucketman
Might help with the sales if the game was any good

Honestly, I don’t think so.. Could be the best hockey game ever made and it still wouldn’t sell very well. Better, sure. But I doubt much more.

EA dropped the ball by not bringing EASHL over to next gen year one.

100k plus teams created on both systems on NHL 14. Majority of them stayed on NHL 14 or even 15 on last gen instead of moving on because of EASHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
http://www.youtube.com/@Fiddy14

Favorite Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
New York Mets
Cleveland Cavaliers
Cleveland Browns
Notre Dame Fightin Irish
Liverpool FC
Old 02-03-2018, 10:10 PM   #5
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiddy
Honestly, I don’t think so.. Could be the best hockey game ever made and it still wouldn’t sell very well. Better, sure. But I doubt much more.

EA dropped the ball by not bringing EASHL over to next gen year one.

100k plus teams created on both systems on NHL 14. Majority of them stayed on NHL 14 or even 15 on last gen instead of moving on because of EASHL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I respectively disagree..... and I mean that because yourself and many are well respected members of this community and 99.9% of the time I agree with you guys but in this case i think that no matter what the subject matter is if the game is made right people will buy it. EA cut things before the consumer did and it’s now an argument of what came first the chicken or the egg. I think if EA released a homerun it would sell. That said I could totally be wrong. As a biased hockey lover it kills me knowing what could be if they just listened to us hardcore fans. At worst it would be better than what they have now and they could still run out their cash cow HUT....may even suck a few more in
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-03-2018, 10:30 PM   #6

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

I'm a 100% offline gamer but have to side with Fiddy on this. EA left a lot of their buyers in the dust and that's people who they won't get back. We as offline gamers are in a vast minority anymore and then when you couple that with the fact that hockey is generally a niche market compared to other games you aren't going to reel people back in.

But to the point of the thread, EA doesn't have an exclusive license with the NHL. If no other developer has stepped up to make another game by now, why do we think that if this MS deal were to go through that even if the even smaller chance that MS made EA sports Xbox exclusive (very far fetched hypothetical) would be the kick in the butt that would get another developer to make an NHL game?
Old 02-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #7
MVP

jake19ny's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
I'm a 100% offline gamer but have to side with Fiddy on this. EA left a lot of their buyers in the dust and that's people who they won't get back. We as offline gamers are in a vast minority anymore and then when you couple that with the fact that hockey is generally a niche market compared to other games you aren't going to reel people back in.

But to the point of the thread, EA doesn't have an exclusive license with the NHL. If no other developer has stepped up to make another game by now, why do we think that if this MS deal were to go through that even if the even smaller chance that MS made EA sports Xbox exclusive (very far fetched hypothetical) would be the kick in the butt that would get another developer to make an NHL game?
Totally agree with you and Fiddy on most everything. 100% accurate that we offline sim guys are in the minority and they will most likely never cater to us. The only thing I would disagree with is despite losing many hardcore sim guys I don’t believe they would not comeback. If they or someone made a legit effort at a decent hockey game that truly represents the sport, wouldn’t even necessarily need the NHL license, they would buy it. Once word spread of how good it was their thirst for a good hockey game would bring them back.
Personally this is year two that I have not done a full season and I’m not finding out after shelling out $69 that I can’t do it again so NHL 19 is a no buy for me. That said if I see a bunch of the respected members here discussing how good and “fixed” NHL 19 is, believe me I’m off to Gamestop.
Old 02-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
Rookie

jaibubwan's Arena

What? This sounds ridiculous. I'm a PS4 Franchise Mode player. I'm perfectly happy with it, and see improvements every couple of years.

I don't want Microsoft to make EA NHL exclusive to the XBox. No new PS4 company will even bother with something as complex as Franchise Mode. It would take them years to create anything comparable.

Jay IronHook's PRO STAR Sliders for NHL 19 (Updated March 16, 2019)

Jai's PRO PLUS Sliders for NHL 18

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »