Home

Comparing UFC 2 and UFC 3 Knockout Physics

This is a discussion on Comparing UFC 2 and UFC 3 Knockout Physics within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-11-2018, 08:22 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Comparing UFC 2 and UFC 3 Knockout Physics

First off, UFC 2's ragdoll KO's weren't perfect. But what they did really well was allow you to FEEL the impact of the knockout strike, because there was a real sense of inertia. The opponents bodies would crumple/react the way you'd expect them to. You don't get that feeling with UFC 3's knockouts because you're usually just watching an animation play out. Most of the KO's end with the "fall to side/one knee" animation.

GPD mentions in the Demetrious Johnson play test video that UFC 3 knockouts switching between a bunch of fall animations on the way down, and then switching to ragdoll once you hit the ground. I understand this was done to remove the weird flipping knockouts you'd sometimes get in UFC 2. But it's made the knockouts rather unsatisfying (most of the time), and you lose the uniqueness of each KO. Here's some examples to demonstrate what I mean:

UFC 2 - This is a great example of what I'm talking about. You see the ragdoll turn on right away, and the opponent just crumples. Looks really natural, and awesome.

UFC 3 - Almost the exact same punch, but watch how it just switches to a canned animation, so you lose the sense of energy being delivered from the punch.

UFC 2 - A crazy super man punch. Again, notice how the energy from the punch is delivered to the opponent, and the whole thing just flows as one physics-driven interaction.

UFC 3 - Another super man punch. But all the punch does is trigger an animation, so it doesn't flow at all.

UFC 2 - Another awesome KO. Notice how the ragdoll interrupts the Rory's strike, but his inertia continues through the KO.

UFC 3 - Not the same kick, but you see what I mean. You're just watching the animation play out.

I supposed what I'm suggesting is enabling the ragdoll for the immediate impact of the strike, and then maybe transition to an animation, and then ragdoll again once the opponent hits the ground.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2018, 08:29 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Comparing UFC 2 and UFC 3 Knockout Physics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Cool_Ice
First off, UFC 2's ragdoll KO's weren't perfect. But what they did really well was allow you to FEEL the impact of the knockout strike, because there was a real sense of inertia. The opponents bodies would crumple/react the way you'd expect them to. You don't get that feeling with UFC 3's knockouts because you're usually just watching an animation play out. Most of the KO's end with the "fall to side/one knee" animation.

GPD mentions in the Demetrious Johnson play test video that UFC 3 knockouts switching between a bunch of fall animations on the way down, and then switching to ragdoll once you hit the ground. I understand this was done to remove the weird flipping knockouts you'd sometimes get in UFC 2. But it's made the knockouts rather unsatisfying (most of the time), and you lose the uniqueness of each KO. Here's some examples to demonstrate what I mean:

UFC 2 - This is a great example of what I'm talking about. You see the ragdoll turn on right away, and the opponent just crumples. Looks really natural, and awesome.

UFC 3 - Almost the exact same punch, but watch how it just switches to a canned animation, so you lose the sense of energy being delivered from the punch.

UFC 2 - A crazy super man punch. Again, notice how the energy from the punch is delivered to the opponent, and the whole thing just flows as one physics-driven interaction.

UFC 3 - Another super man punch. But all the punch does is trigger an animation, so it doesn't flow at all.

UFC 2 - Another awesome KO. Notice how the ragdoll interrupts the Rory's strike, but his inertia continues through the KO.

UFC 3 - Not the same kick, but you see what I mean. You're just watching the animation play out.

I supposed what I'm suggesting is enabling the ragdoll for the immediate impact of the strike, and then maybe transition to an animation, and then ragdoll again once the opponent hits the ground.
Great post 👍👍👍 Could not possibly agree more.

Sent from my XT1585 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #3
Banned

Thanks for the visual aide. Seeing it side by side like that really drives home the differences.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:36 PM   #4
Rookie

UFC 3 KO's needs to be like UFC 2. Those UFC 2 KO's looked so satisfying. I know sometimes bodies flew in UFC 2 but Damn I rather have this then UFC 3 KO's

Sent from my LGMS550 using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 02-11-2018, 09:12 PM   #5
MVP

TheGentlemanGhost's Arena

Yes, they are mostly falling into FTF position instead of free falling all the way to the ground as they should.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-11-2018, 09:16 PM   #6
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGentlemanGhost
Yes, they are mostly falling into FTF position instead of free falling all the way to the ground as they should.
Which is unnecessary, since we no longer have follow up strikes after the KO. So I think the KO's should be total ragdoll.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:15 PM   #7
Banned

Yeah 90% of the time the KOs looked way bette

But the flip KOs looked really bad
Old 02-11-2018, 11:02 PM   #8
Pro

I knew from the start that KOs looked worse in UFC 3 than UFC 2, but when you see them side by side UFC 3 KOs look like a straight up major downgrade.

Also you guys keep saying the UFC 3 KO animations are putting the fighters in FtF animations, but why would they need to do that? UFC 2, which HAD FtF after KOs didn't even do that, the ragdoll would just adjust into FtF animation if the player went for it. If they changed it just so you didn't see the ragdoll "snap" into FtF, that decision needs to be overturned right away.

Not only is that not worth reducing the quality of the ragdoll, but apparently we aren't even getting FtF after KOs (I'm still hopeful we get SOME form of this eventually) so its funny that this game tries to make them fall into FtF positions while UFC 2 did not.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »