Home

How do die-hard 2k fans feel about Live?

This is a discussion on How do die-hard 2k fans feel about Live? within the Other Basketball Games forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-21-2018, 06:15 AM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
How do die-hard 2k fans feel about Live?

I haven't played NBA Live in a good 10 years, and that was only twice at a friends house. The last serious attempt at NBA live was early 00s so almost 20. I remember it had it flaws, but was very good for the time.

Then 2k came, and blew Live away in terms of graphics and game play. Now with Live having issues the last few years, 2k has taken pull position and just gone above and beyond to create more modes, more in-depth modes and gameplay and given us so much historic content, it's mind blowing to think about.

With all that being said, I've become kind of fed up with playing the same game somehow. And in some ways, 2k changing the feel and how it plays every year also has not really done much for me. It hasn't been revolutionary from year to year, but enough to change it that you have to learn the game all over again.

For some these are a plus, but for me as a guy who just plays a game a few weeks here and there, it's no fun with every single edition to have to get adjusted to the play style again. I'm sure for the guy really picking this game apart and taking the time to go in depth it's much more enjoyable.

There's some areas that 2k still hasn't fixed over the years, mainly the comeback cheese. Also, while I really got into the classic reveals and all-time teams prior to this year's release, they just don't play and often look like their real life counterparts so I really don't enjoy playing them.

All that being said, I just sold my 2k and tried Live and I'm actually quite shocked how good it is in terms of gameplay and graphics. I love how you're actually rewarded for taking good open shots and even if it's an animation, can make a freaking basket around the rim.

In 2k over the years, missing lay-ups and just close range baskets with great players / good centers who shoot a high % in real life, it was just frustrating to see miss a good shot. And trust me, it has nothing to do with my timing. It just seems that similar to the comeback cheese that there are large stretches in games where either for you or the opponent everything goes in.

I love the street mode, the face scan to include you're likeliness which is damn near perfect, the authenticity of the courts, back story and everything about it. The controls are easy to master and while it takes some time to get used to the differences from 2k, and has it flaws, it's pretty solid.

I just love how it reacts, how the game feels on the court and while it's a tad slow - on rebounding in particular - it's a solid start to get the franchise back on track. I haven't tried the Franchise mode yet and I understand the game is broken, limited options to trade players and add you're created player to a team, no option to play a normal game on those street courts etc.

However, the gameplay, the streets mode, look of the game and last but not least the ESPN presentation makes this game still very solid. As much as 2k has tried to get that TNT presentation down with various commentators, nothing can top JVG & Mike Breen. They sound much more natural and I've gotten tired of 2k's commentary after hearing the same voices I guess as well.

So how do people in general feel, comparing the two games and in particular for the die-hard 2k lovers.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-21-2018, 01:51 PM   #2
Pro

sudanmalkovich's Arena

Re: How do die-hard 2k fans feel about Live?

better footplanting (tight control in defense)
better player collision
better steal (ball tangibility)

that's about it.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:40 PM   #3
*S *dd*ct

NINJAK2's Arena

OVR: 28

Live truly excels in the 1 on 1 aspect from a defender vs dribbler perspective over 2k imo. You get better visual feedback in regards to why you got beat and why you got a stop. 2k seems a little more unpredictable in that aspect leading to all the complaints about defense and being able to get by the cpu at will and/or vice versa. I also think the lack of animations in Live when compared to 2k helps as you are more likely to get the right animation at the right time in my experience. This lack of animations can also be a negative because the lack of them can make the game look more robotic and less human imo. 2k has all these different formulas working within the engine and I think this causes the game to be quirky at times. I think 2k suffers because the game's engine hasn't quite caught up with the developer's ambition. Live's player art updates have also been much more frequent when compared to 2k. Live is selling for $14.99 at Best Buy and this game is worth a purchase at that price even if you love 2k.
EA and 2k have the unfortunate task of trying to balance on a tightrope of fun and sim while trying not to fall 10,000 feet to their death. Instead of a safety net waiting down below there will just be angry customers quick to move out of the way and talk of their failure.

Last edited by NINJAK2; 02-22-2018 at 07:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 10:24 PM   #4
Banned

Its a crap game thats why its only $5
Old 03-05-2018, 06:50 PM   #5
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTMax
I haven't played NBA Live in a good 10 years, and that was only twice at a friends house. The last serious attempt at NBA live was early 00s so almost 20. I remember it had it flaws, but was very good for the time.

Then 2k came, and blew Live away in terms of graphics and game play. Now with Live having issues the last few years, 2k has taken pull position and just gone above and beyond to create more modes, more in-depth modes and gameplay and given us so much historic content, it's mind blowing to think about.

With all that being said, I've become kind of fed up with playing the same game somehow. And in some ways, 2k changing the feel and how it plays every year also has not really done much for me. It hasn't been revolutionary from year to year, but enough to change it that you have to learn the game all over again.

For some these are a plus, but for me as a guy who just plays a game a few weeks here and there, it's no fun with every single edition to have to get adjusted to the play style again. I'm sure for the guy really picking this game apart and taking the time to go in depth it's much more enjoyable.

There's some areas that 2k still hasn't fixed over the years, mainly the comeback cheese. Also, while I really got into the classic reveals and all-time teams prior to this year's release, they just don't play and often look like their real life counterparts so I really don't enjoy playing them.

All that being said, I just sold my 2k and tried Live and I'm actually quite shocked how good it is in terms of gameplay and graphics. I love how you're actually rewarded for taking good open shots and even if it's an animation, can make a freaking basket around the rim.

In 2k over the years, missing lay-ups and just close range baskets with great players / good centers who shoot a high % in real life, it was just frustrating to see miss a good shot. And trust me, it has nothing to do with my timing. It just seems that similar to the comeback cheese that there are large stretches in games where either for you or the opponent everything goes in.

I love the street mode, the face scan to include you're likeliness which is damn near perfect, the authenticity of the courts, back story and everything about it. The controls are easy to master and while it takes some time to get used to the differences from 2k, and has it flaws, it's pretty solid.

I just love how it reacts, how the game feels on the court and while it's a tad slow - on rebounding in particular - it's a solid start to get the franchise back on track. I haven't tried the Franchise mode yet and I understand the game is broken, limited options to trade players and add you're created player to a team, no option to play a normal game on those street courts etc.

However, the gameplay, the streets mode, look of the game and last but not least the ESPN presentation makes this game still very solid. As much as 2k has tried to get that TNT presentation down with various commentators, nothing can top JVG & Mike Breen. They sound much more natural and I've gotten tired of 2k's commentary after hearing the same voices I guess as well.

So how do people in general feel, comparing the two games and in particular for the die-hard 2k lovers.
Finally a worthy 2nd option

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-14-2018, 03:28 PM   #6
MVP

OVR: 19

not a fan of NBA LIVE at all. tried it a few times couldnt get into it

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > Other Basketball Games »