Home

FOr those of you who played 2k17 a lot, was it tougher to blow by defenders.

This is a discussion on FOr those of you who played 2k17 a lot, was it tougher to blow by defenders. within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2018, 12:39 PM   #1
MVP

jsou4646's Arena

OVR: 15
Vs cpu. For those of you who played 2k17 a lot, was it tougher to blow by defenders.

I think 2k18 does a ton of stuff well. But being able to go right by a defender pretty much kills the game for me. I’ve played since the very first Dreamcast 2k. I like realism, but if the gameplay isn’t stout, any game becomes boring and somewhat a waste of time. I don’t want to not drive by a defender in which’s i have the angle on jsit because it’s not reaslistc, i just want to have a close sim and a challenge. I didn’t play a lot of 2k17. From what I’ve read the defenders were like brick walls, meaning you can’t drive by them. One is that true and the other is are there other big gripes about 2k17. Or would you guys consider that a better mix of gameplay difficulty and sim combined. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jsou4646; 03-02-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #2
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: FOr those of you who played 2k17 a lot, was it tougher to blow by defenders.

You see this is a level headed post.

My take on the situation. I never like 2k17. To much bumming. It was the worst. 2k18 on the other hand I see why users are so pissed about the hip animation. But we needed it so bad. I think 2k just needs to show users how to actually defend. The tools are there. And giving my options for the defense man to man wise. But I think it's a step in the right direction.

I use the hip riding animation... Maybe once or twice a game. One of the things is it's defendable. But most don't take advantage of the weakness. They want their defense to work. And don't try to change to the opponent.

A huge tip is if someone using the ride animation. If you time it up right. You can switch into any help side defender and steal the ball from %100 of the time. I've posted a video on this. This will literally stop a user from doing after a steal.

Here the video...

Most have a problem with this tactic because they don't want to leave the shooters. Especially in my park. But there has to be a checks and balance. You have to be active on defense. Most teams have the one guy that drives all day. All you need to do is break up his timing. Your not going to stop. But you can cause him to think.

Last edited by jeebs9; 03-02-2018 at 01:17 PM.
Old 03-02-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17
Re: FOr those of you who played 2k17 a lot, was it tougher to blow by defenders.

Yeah it was tougher . A lot of people try to force themselves past a defender selfishly. All you had to do was Move the ball , use screens , post up etc ... but now we have 2k18 where it’s pretty easy to score without ever using those things I mentioned above . You know actual basketball stuff .

But my perspective it’s mostly from pro am . I have 800+ games there. I have less than > 100 park games and > 10 play now games. So I couldn’t tell you how it is there.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 03-02-2018, 01:44 PM   #4
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9

My take on the situation. I never like 2k17. To much bumming. It was the worst. 2k18 on the other hand I see why users are so pissed about the hip animation. But we needed it so bad. I think 2k just needs to show users how to actually defend. The tools are there. And giving my options for the defense man to man wise. But I think it's a step in the right direction.

I use the hip riding animation... Maybe once or twice a game. One of the things is it's defendable. But most don't take advantage of the weakness. They want their defense to work. And don't try to change to the opponent.

A huge tip is if someone using the ride animation. If you time it up right. You can switch into any help side defender and steal the ball from %100 of the time. I've posted a video on this. This will literally stop a user from doing after a steal.

Here the video...

Most have a problem with this tactic because they don't want to leave the shooters. Especially in my park. But there has to be a checks and balance. You have to be active on defense. Most teams have the one guy that drives all day. All you need to do is break up his timing. Your not going to stop. But you can cause him to think.
If that was pro am walk , you would’ve gave up 2 points maybe 3.
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 03-02-2018, 04:50 PM   #5
MVP

jsou4646's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeebs9

Here the video...

Nice video, i was more talking about standing in front of a defender calling iso at the top of the 3 point line then slowing walking up to him and pressing turbo Strong hand side, and being able to go right by him. Even with body up at 100 lateral quick at 100 for the cpu and user at 5 you’ll still get that animation we’re you can then go into the layup animation. It’s horrible. I even lowered every user player quickness with and without ball to 100 for cpu and mine to 5. Yea that’s gross but it was for testing purposes. My guys could barley move but i could still get an angle to trigger the layup animation. Just kills the game. Everything else is so nice against the cpu on hof difficulty with a few tweaks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #6
Fear is the Unknown

jeebs9's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsou4646
Nice video, i was more talking about standing in front of a defender calling iso at the top of the 3 point line then slowing walking up to him and pressing turbo Strong hand side, and being able to go right by him. Even with body up at 100 lateral quick at 100 for the cpu and user at 5 you’ll still get that animation we’re you can then go into the layup animation. It’s horrible. I even lowered every user player quickness with and without ball to 100 for cpu and mine to 5. Yea that’s gross but it was for testing purposes. My guys could barley move but i could still get an angle to trigger the layup animation. Just kills the game. Everything else is so nice against the cpu on hof difficulty with a few tweaks.
Oh I know exactly what your talking about. I've and have videos of guys that don't even use dribble moves (which are really nice this year). They just do exactly what you just said.

You know the animation out of the box was perfect. I still for the life of me don't understand why 2k changed it. It was well balanced then. Most layups were missed. Only the LeBron James and James Harden of the world could hit layups consistently.

I think the animation is here to stay. It just needs more tweaking. To make it more skillful. Instead of like what you said. Just an animation.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2018, 10:33 PM   #7
Pro

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsou4646
in 2k18 due to complaints about too much bumping going on from the defensive animations in 2k17. 2k18 allows you to blow by your man a lot easier. and i've said this before. if you look closely you will realize you are not actually blowing BY your man. half of your body is INSIDE of your defender. It's a clipping issue. if you ask me i think 2k took the easy way out to make people happy. instead of completely changing how the defender animations work. THey instead allowed for more clipping to allow you to get by your buy when its actually partially THRU him. which is a buzz kill when you think about it. a lot of people are really thinking they putting in hella work on offense but theyre not. its the gift of 2k18 especially for slasher builds. its way overpowered. if aint the clipping blow thru animations, its the silly defender being stuck on your shoulder animation which will still result in 2 points.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:53 PM   #8
MVP

UnbelievablyRAW's Arena

OVR: 5

I actually kinda preferred it in 2k17 because unless you call a pick, you generally aren't going to beat people off the dribble on straight line drives. At the very least, people had to be using good ball handlers (ball control greater than or equal to 85) and actually know how to dribble. This year, its not that hard to score contact dunks and layups by simply running straight through a defender. Especially if the guy you're using has posterizer or the other interior badges.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »