Home

One Hour One Life

This is a discussion on One Hour One Life within the Non-Sports Gaming forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-02-2018, 01:59 PM   #1
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46
One Hour One Life

This probably won't be the most popular game in this forum but it's one that caught my eye immediately and perhaps there are people here that will find the enjoyment in trying to develop and sustain a civilization for future people.

The game is One Hour One Life.
http://onehouronelife.com/

a multiplayer survival game of parenting and civilization building by Jason Rohrer

The title explains it all. You start off as a baby and over the course of one hour you live a single life growing old until you die.

You can die much sooner because of starvation or being killed, among other things.

You are born to a mother. In the beginning (for about 5 minutes of game-time) you are in need of mother's care. She feeds you to keep you alive while tending to the development of a civilization she will never see grow once her one hour is done.

The idea of the game is to build for the future. But I'll let the creator do the talking here:
This game is about playing one small part in a much larger story. You only live an hour, but time and space in this game is infinite. You can only do so much in one lifetime, but the tech tree in this game will take hundreds of generations to fully explore. This game is also about family trees. Having a mother who takes care of you as a baby, and hopefully taking care of a baby yourself later in life. And your mother is another player. And your baby is another player. Building something to use in your lifetime, but inevitably realizing that, in the end, what you build is not for YOU, but for your children and all the countless others that will come after you. Proudly using your grandfather's ax, and then passing it on to your own grandchild as the end of your life nears. And looking at each life as a unique story. I was this kid born in this situation, but I eventually grew up. I built a bakery near the wheat fields. Over time, I watched my grandparents and parents grow old and die. I had some kids of my own along the way, but they are grown now... and look at my character now! She's an old woman. What a life passed by in this little hour of mine. After I die, this life will be over and gone forever. I can be born again, but I can never live this unique story again. Everything's changing. I'll be born as a different person in a different place and different time, with another unique story to experience in the next hour...
And here's a video of him explaining the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mT4JktcVQuE
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
MVP

PPerfect_CJ's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: One Hour One Life

Seems kind of like "Don't Starve"...but much more depressing. Lol!
#WeAreND
Old 03-02-2018, 03:38 PM   #3
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

This is really intriguing and will get some research from me. Thanks for the find.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Old 03-02-2018, 04:59 PM   #4
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7

Iv'e found many treasures in some small indie games.......
Old 03-02-2018, 05:14 PM   #5
Bacon is Better

Bullit's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picci
Me too, I have been playing a great game lately called FreeMan. Started a thread but it go no traction. But I have like 150 hours in on it already.

My heart and soul hurt for your lost presence in my life.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-02-2018, 06:20 PM   #6
CMH
Making you famous

CMH's Arena

OVR: 46

I bought the game immediately once I discovered it.

It's tough but I see what it can be one day.

Expect that as a baby there are chances you will die immediately. There's a lot going on in early civilization and some mothers (gamers) don't want to spend the time taking care of you.

Lack of resources is a real issue too. Some areas that you might spawn too are severely lacking food. This is likely a result of early gamers trying to survive early on and not thinking of agriculture to feed themselves and the future.

Adding to that, the game does not hold your hand. I'm still very confused with what I should be doing and it gets tough trying to think of the future when you're hungry and worried about a crying baby.

I was once born to what seemed like an established farm with crops growing but suddenly everyone left me alone and I couldn't figure out how to eat. They did well to nurture me into childhood but beyond that I knew nothing of how to survive.

A lot of this might be frustrating to some people but I enjoy it. It is an interesting step into whatever the early days of man might have been like.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
"It may well be that we spectators, who are not divinely gifted as athletes, are the only ones able to truly see, articulate and animate the experience of the gift we are denied. And that those who receive and act out the gift of athletic genius must, perforce, be blind and dumb about it -- and not because blindness and dumbness are the price of the gift, but because they are its essence." - David Foster Wallace

"You'll not find more penny-wise/pound-foolish behavior than in Major League Baseball." - Rob Neyer
Old 03-02-2018, 07:26 PM   #7
MVP

Picci's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullit
Me too, I have been playing a great game lately called FreeMan. Started a thread but it go no traction. But I have like 150 hours in on it already.
I've seen your passion for these type of games in the past from you. You've already given good advice/suggestion on your 'This Little War of Mine', mini review back in the day for me.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:47 PM   #8
MVP

PPerfect_CJ's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picci
I had so much fun with “Child of Light.” Loved the story and the controls in that game were like BUTTER. A lot of big budget games could take a lesson from that.
#WeAreND

« Operation Sports Forums > Other > Non-Sports Gaming »