Home

New to Series. Expansion Franchise Help Appreciated!

This is a discussion on New to Series. Expansion Franchise Help Appreciated! within the EA Sports NHL forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-03-2018, 01:37 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
New to Series. Expansion Franchise Help Appreciated!

Hey all, picked this up during the recent EA sale and was hoping to do an expansion franchise with Seattle as the 32nd team. I’m a football and basketball guy that knows zero about hockey and was looking for some help.

Obviously everyone has different preferences, but any type on the expansion draft with the most updated rosters? Also was curious about any insight on loading up on defensemen in the expansion draft to them trade some for future assets? All in all, I’m sure there are great resources on here and any assistance in narrowing my attention amongst all the pages and threads would be appreciated. Thanks!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-09-2018, 12:33 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: New to Series. Expansion Franchise Help Appreciated!

Unfortunately, you can't do an expansion draft franchise with updated rosters. It takes you to pre-draft of the 2017 season when the actual expansion happened. It sucks, like crazy it sucks, but it is what it is.
Old 03-10-2018, 07:27 AM   #3
Pro

OVR: 2

My recommended expansion strategy:
1. Take Korpisalo from Columbus as your goalie. The single best pick you can make. Can almost guarantee he’ll tend your net for a decade.
2. Take the best D-men available. You’ll get too many D and not enough good F’s, but that’s ok.
3. Start trading the extra D for picks and prospects that will turn into your top F’s.
4. Don’t try to make a FA splash in 2017. Tank in year 1 and get another year of high pick in 2018 before trying to build a playoff contender.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-10-2018, 12:47 PM   #4
Rookie

Appreciate the help. I know there’s more risk reward with the low elite guys than high top 6/top 4. I’ve checked out the scouting tips thread some. Outside of the medium elite and better, fo you all tend to take the risk on low elite guys, go after medium to exact top 4/top 6, or mix the two up when drafting?
Old 03-10-2018, 12:50 PM   #5
Rookie

Oh and one more thing, outside of Korpisalo and maybe Brodin, do any of the expansion draft guys normally end up on your team in 4-5 years, or do you try and flip for younger talent/picks? Just seems most of the guys wouldn’t cut in 4-5 years in if you draft and build well
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-11-2018, 01:23 PM   #6
Pro

I don’t think anyone besides Korpisalo or Brodin was on my team by year 5. You’re right, most of the guys are just there to be a warm body while you build and eventual trade chip.

As far as scouting, I’d take a risk on an elite, but remember, “low” when you’re drafting means low accuracy that they’re an elite, not “low” chance of reaching that. Scouting thread explains this more. I focus on “high” accuracy prospects so I know what I’m getting. I only take a flyer an a “low” or “unknown” if there’s no one I like.

Old 03-11-2018, 03:11 PM   #7
Rookie

I’ve read through it again but still a little confused. I get that it’s the scouts probability of what the player is. My question is more do you all tend to take a guy that is a “low” elite or somebody that’s medium, high, or exact top 6/top 4. I get the low elite could become better, but what have you all had more success drafting? Also asking about a player that this is what it displays during the draft. Thanks!
Old 03-11-2018, 04:12 PM   #8
Pro

It is confusing. The short answer is that a player’s listed potential means 2 different things. It means one thing during scouting and drafting, and another thing once they’ve been drafted. Here’s a reddit post that explains it as well as I’ve seen.

Franchise Mode Scouting Labels Explained https://www.reddit.com/r/EA_NHL/comm...E0&sh=c31641b1

« Operation Sports Forums > Hockey > EA Sports NHL »