Home

The strongest punishment to side sway spam

This is a discussion on The strongest punishment to side sway spam within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-06-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

OVR: 0
The strongest punishment to side sway spam

I've heard a lot of people complaining about sway spam, and it being too hard to punish. I thought I'd post a couple of videos showing the most effective punish to side sway spam currently in the game that I was able to find. I'm sure other options are available, but these should give you a taste of what's out there

Here's the first scenario. Someone is spamming side sways trying to slip your straights or uppercuts.

They are spamming different sways, fishing for a counter opportunity and hoping to get lucky.

They won't counter strike unless they confirm the evasion, so they are taking no stamina hit for this action.

How do you punish them?

Well the obvious is to mix in lead hooks and uppercuts, and hope to catch them. But that's a risky game too because if they slip your strike you can eat big counter damage bonus.

Is there another way?

Let's do some frame counting to find a safer option.

In this example, once I see the side sway animation play out, I immediately throw a lead hook. In this example I'm throwing the hook 16 frames after the sway animation starts, but you could probably extend that to 20 and still be guaranteed a punish.

The strike catches vulnerability on the side of his head coming back from the sway, and he cannot block until the sway completes making this a safe and effective punish.

So what if he's immediately throwing a strike out of the slip? This is a lot more dangerous as I might not react fast enough and intercept his strike in time. How do I punish in that case?

Again, there are a lot of options, but this was the most devastating punish I could find.

Remember that the recovery frames on a wiffed slip strike are quit high. So let's try a short back step and see what happens.

In this example, I started the back step 20 frames after the slip started and managed to evade the hook. I immediately countered with an overhand and was able to land an unblock-able strike for a ton of damage.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2018, 02:42 PM   #2
MVP

Re: The strongest punishment to side sway spam

Thanks for this. Will try it out.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:47 PM   #3
Rookie

Good stuff here going to get back on ranked tonight see I can't cut some cheese wait slice some cheese maybe yeah that sounds better

Sent from my SM-G950U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 03-06-2018, 02:53 PM   #4
MVP

thank you. i'll try this out.

Last edited by tissues250; 03-06-2018 at 02:55 PM.
Old 03-06-2018, 02:57 PM   #5
MVP

EarvGotti's Arena

OVR: 5

Great stuff GPD. Does this same frame data apply to stationary slips/sways too?
SF) Sapphire Scottie Pippen
PF) '95-'96 Dennis Rodman
C) Hakeem Olajuwon
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #6
Former EA Sports UFC Gameplay Developer

GameplayDevUFC's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarvGotti
Great stuff GPD. Does this same frame data apply to stationary slips/sways too?
Yes, the only difference there is that with stationary sways you can chain them together very quickly, so someone could chain from a side slip to a duck to evade the punish.

But then you could cancel your punish strike.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:03 PM   #7
Banned

No problem offline but online they just sway uppercut hook I cant react in time cause the input doesn't react in real time. Period.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:04 PM   #8
MVP

Thetruth9012's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameplayDevUFC
I've heard a lot of people complaining about sway spam, and it being too hard to punish. I thought I'd post a couple of videos showing the most effective punish to side sway spam currently in the game that I was able to find. I'm sure other options are available, but these should give you a taste of what's out there

Here's the first scenario. Someone is spamming side sways trying to slip your straights or uppercuts.

They are spamming different sways, fishing for a counter opportunity and hoping to get lucky.

They won't counter strike unless they confirm the evasion, so they are taking no stamina hit for this action.

How do you punish them?

Well the obvious is to mix in lead hooks and uppercuts, and hope to catch them. But that's a risky game too because if they slip your strike you can eat big counter damage bonus.

Is there another way?

Let's do some frame counting to find a safer option.

In this example, once I see the side sway animation play out, I immediately throw a lead hook. In this example I'm throwing the hook 16 frames after the sway animation starts, but you could probably extend that to 20 and still be guaranteed a punish.

The strike catches vulnerability on the side of his head coming back from the sway, and he cannot block until the sway completes making this a safe and effective punish.

So what if he's immediately throwing a strike out of the slip? This is a lot more dangerous as I might not react fast enough and intercept his strike in time. How do I punish in that case?

Again, there are a lot of options, but this was the most devastating punish I could find.

Remember that the recovery frames on a wiffed slip strike are quit high. So let's try a short back step and see what happens.

In this example, I started the back step 20 frames after the slip started and managed to evade the hook. I immediately countered with an overhand and was able to land an unblock-able strike for a ton of damage.
I dont know it feels like it will be really hard to pull that off in online envirement

I will try and report here

Bigs can cover to much ground on defense(they are too fast)

Late contest on laups matter too much.

Random blocks doing pumpfakes.

Leaning shots for guys who have catch and shoot badge should be removed.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »