Home

Mixed strike block

This is a discussion on Mixed strike block within the EA Sports UFC forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-21-2018, 12:37 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 0
Mixed strike block

Can we get a 3rd block for mixed strikes (round and straight)?

No need of adding another animation, the standard high block can be used.

Right now you are forced to break block with 3 straight or round strikes to open it up for the other.

This leads to predictable combos.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Mixed strike block

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmangala
Can we get a 3rd block for mixed strikes (round and straight)?

No need of adding another animation, the standard high block can be used.

Right now you are forced to break block with 3 straight or round strikes to open it up for the other.

This leads to predictable combos.
You think head movement is bad now wait and see how bad it would be if blocking is made more difficult lol...

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 03-21-2018, 01:03 PM   #3
Rookie

Get rid of RT+LT for body/low blocking! Here me out:

RT for block for head AND body, and let the AI smart-drive blocking high/low along with the block breakdown mechanics. This might require adding a block breakdown mechanic where going high for 2-3 strikes opens up a shot on the body. Just like for same level straight, straight, hook breaks a held block so too would high high low.

This opens up LT... for *timed* strong block. RT+LT *timed* will check kicks, catch body kicks and perform a more aggressive block to mitigate one-shot damage that could otherwise be absorbed by a high kick or an overhand.

Straight, straight, hook could then be stopped by a defender by *timing* the RT+LT on the hook. Or *timing* the RT+LT on one of the straights to reset the block breaking.

I think this would be applicable to clinch and ground as well. No more guessing game in the thai clinch, just hold RT. Opponent will have to go body, body, head to get through... but you can use a *timed* RT+LT to completely block the elbow or knee (hip push).

Last edited by theonlywoj; 03-21-2018 at 01:05 PM.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by theonlywoj
Get rid of RT+LT for body/low blocking! Here me out:

RT for block for head AND body, and let the AI smart-drive blocking high/low along with the block breakdown mechanics. This might require adding a block breakdown mechanic where going high for 2-3 strikes opens up a shot on the body. Just like for same level straight, straight, hook breaks a held block so too would high high low.

This opens up LT... for *timed* strong block. RT+LT *timed* will check kicks, catch body kicks and perform a more aggressive block to mitigate one-shot damage that could otherwise be absorbed by a high kick or an overhand.

Straight, straight, hook could then be stopped by a defender by *timing* the RT+LT on the hook. Or *timing* the RT+LT on one of the straights to reset the block breaking.

I think this would be applicable to clinch and ground as well. No more guessing game in the thai clinch, just hold RT. Opponent will have to go body, body, head to get through... but you can use a *timed* RT+LT to completely block the elbow or knee (hip push).

We got past this 2 games ago

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 03-21-2018, 01:39 PM   #5
Rookie

No thank you.. How are you gonna land a head kick if someone can block head and body with one button.. That would be an entire game of block breaking

Im fine with the block mechanics but i do agree i wish you could mix it but better and make it look more natural
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-21-2018, 02:02 PM   #6
MVP

Round sways (left or right) should be more vulnerable to round strikes.

Straight sways (forward or back) should be more vulerable to straight strikes.

This can apply to the block as well so maybe 2 strikes during health events and 3 when regular.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlipNrip
No thank you.. How are you gonna land a head kick if someone can block head and body with one button.. That would be an entire game of block breaking
You're right. You wouldn't be able to throw multiple body kicks and then go high with a head kick and catch your opponent blocking the wrong level (Jones/Cormier 2), or any naked head kick scenario (like Machida vs Munoz) would be less likely. I'm trying to think of a way to simplify user-blocking, having it mechanic (and fighter statistic) driven. If we were going to go user-input driven, the better way to do this would be RT+right thumbstick. I still want RT+LT body gone. Ideally, RT+up is general block head and RT+up-right is a *strong block* to the right side of your head.

AI Mechanic/Stat Driven Blocking (RT blocks low and high)
Completely stat and mechanic driven blocking that uses block breakdown to also "breakdown" high/low.

If they are holding "regular" block... they'll block the kick. Two or three head kicks landed in close succession would do serious damage/block break (fighter would need to use distance/movement to avoid).

If they anticipate the timing wrong with a RT+LT "strong block"... they get hit. If they time it correctly, they take block damage but no bleed thru.

Head kicks could still be landed in sequence. Any different-vertical strike counts towards block break.
- straight, straight, headkick (how it is now, straights and rounds)
- body, body, headkick
- straight head, any body strike (counts like a straight), headkick
- straight head, hook head, body kick
Works: left leg kick, right straight, left high kick would bleed thru/block break (unless timed strong block on headkick)
Doesn't Work: straight head, body hook, body kick (counts as "straight, round, round")
Does Work: hook head, straight body, body kick (counts as "round, straight, round")

Completely User-Driven Input Blocking
In this scenario, block breaking only is in effect if the fighter is holding high or low. Any zone specific block (up-left, bottom-right) does not incur block break (effectively a "strong" block).

RT+right-thumbstick direction
Up/Down thumbstick governs high and low
Vert+Horz is strong block to zone, example: Up-Left is a very strong block, but would leave Low-left just as vulnerable as any attack to right side.

I'd like there to be a way to use head movement AND block at the same time. Maybe RT+LT... instead of a duck (forward), with RT+LT it's a duck but with a high block (to block uppercuts). Only vulnerable area here would be legs and round strikes to body. RT+LT+back would be a lean while blocking the body. Again, legs vulnerable (or takedown) or head if it can be reached.
Old 03-22-2018, 12:03 AM   #8
EA Game Changer

Solid_Altair's Arena

Other patterns than the Front Front Front Side are working pretty well, after the block nerf. Also kep in mind that the front attacks can be uppercuts. IMO, blocking is in a good place, right now.

« Operation Sports Forums > Combat Sports > EA Sports UFC »