Home

Huge Flaw in RTTS

This is a discussion on Huge Flaw in RTTS within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-23-2018, 09:30 PM   #1
Rookie

BearsNVA's Arena

OVR: 1
Huge Flaw in RTTS

Maybe it's just me, but if you choose a power hitting or hitting heavy track, you get bumped to DH quickly.

This happened in the past based on how you spent points. Your hitting attributes would be higher than the other player at your position, and your Fielding attributes would be weaker. Makes sense and I never had an issue with that logic, because I had control over my point spreading and could add to fielding even if the points came from only hitting.

However, now, when you move to DH, you ONLY get points based on hitting, thus making the gap in fielding greater and greater as the season progresses.

If I spend multiple seasons in AA ball because they won't let me shag fly balls in LF, to get fielding points.....that's not just a new wrinkle in a new system. That's something that adds a layer of unrealistic to something that is supposed to be more realistic.

If I'm hitting 338 5hr 15rbi in AA, my AAA and MLB team should be confused why I'm not progressing at catching a ball and throwing it. I would consider that bad "organizational management," but in reality it's just a poorly thought out and poorly implemented change to RTTS.

And to answer the obvious question, "What about the new training opportunities?" I have yet (after 3 opportunities,) had a fielding option.

If I play DH all year, am I to believe, in real life, a young AA player that's ripping the ball left and right, stays stagnant with fielding?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-24-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Huge Flaw in RTTS

That's an excellent observation and it's just another reason why I do not like the automatic points allocation. I would not have bought the deluxe edition of this game had I known that they had changed the method of RTTS allocation to an automatic system. I only buy that edition so I can get the extra stubs and I sell all of the good cards I get from the free packs to get more stubs and then use stubs to buy training points so I can move my player's progression along at a faster pace than the game would otherwise allow. So now, stubs are apparently completely useless in that regard for RTTS purposes. SMH.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:44 PM   #3
Rookie

BearsNVA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondmsu
That's an excellent observation and it's just another reason why I do not like the automatic points allocation. I would not have bought the deluxe edition of this game had I known that they had changed the method of RTTS allocation to an automatic system. I only buy that edition so I can get the extra stubs and I sell all of the good cards I get from the free packs to get more stubs and then use stubs to buy training points so I can move my player's progression along at a faster pace than the game would otherwise allow. So now, stubs are apparently completely useless in that regard for RTTS purposes. SMH.
When I learned about how points worked this year, I was nervous that something like this would happen. I wasn't worried about player types and attribute caps. How the points are earned and auto spent scared me.

Also, if anyone plays 1b, do you get points when a 2b, ss, or 3b throws the ball to you? If not, why would anyone want to be a 1st baseman. I'd appreciate an answer if anybody knows.
Old 03-24-2018, 01:50 PM   #4
MVP

MrArlingtonBeach's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BearsNVA
Also, if anyone plays 1b, do you get points when a 2b, ss, or 3b throws the ball to you? If not, why would anyone want to be a 1st baseman. I'd appreciate an answer if anybody knows.
My player is a 1B, Power Corner archetype. I only do the "Some" defensive chance option. You do get fielding points during double plays, even when it's a 6-4-3 and all you have to do is run to first and catch the ball. But you don't get points when the batter beats out the throw to first on the back end of the DP.

In doing the "Some" option, I don't get plays really where any other infielder throws to first on a routine grounder. The plays I get are the aforementioned double plays, pop ups, and 3-unassisted plays, mostly.

Last edited by MrArlingtonBeach; 03-24-2018 at 02:20 PM.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:29 PM   #5
Rookie

BearsNVA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach
My player is a 1B, Power Corner archetype. I only do the "Some" defensive chance option. You do get fielding points during double plays, even when it's a 6-4-3 and all you have to do is run to first and catch the ball. But you don't get points when the batter beats out the throw to first on the back end of the DP.

In doing the "Some" option, I don't get plays really where any other infielder throws to first on a routine grounder. The plays I get are the aforementioned double plays, pop ups, and 3-unassisted plays, mostly.
I got moved to CF and started getting defense points. However, I got kicked in the grapes and my excitement ended.

They said I'm now a CF and they loved what they saw. Why is this bad? Because when they switched me, they asked if I wanted to change my archetype, lol. The Ballhawk is the obvious choice Because of the speed.

Well, I don't want to be that type player, so I settled for a compromise and changed to defensive canon. Get a little more defensive help and keep my hitting.

Guess what...my coach told me that archetype was for LF or RF, and by choosing it I would hurt my development, LMAO!

The whole point of these changes to RTTS, was to let you be the type of player you want to be, and within the first month and a half of my first season, I'm being forced to be something I don't want to be.

After this happened, I started over. What does"it will hurt your development," mean? I didn't want to sink hours and hours of playing and grinding to find out.

In my humble opinion, San Diego Studios put caps on the game incorrectly. They should have let players decide where to put the limits. I don't want to bunt, steal, and be an amazing fielder, so I set my caps low for them. I want an okay arm, so I set my caps accordingly. I want to be a fast power guy....attribute caps set accordingly.

They could have given limits like, you only get 3 areas you can reach 99, two at 80, three at 75, etc etc.
In the end we develop like they have it set up based on play, but we don't get strong armed into not being able to be who we really want.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2018, 12:05 AM   #6
Rookie

BearsNVA's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrArlingtonBeach

So I started over as a RF, and guess what....I got moved to 1st for a trial, they liked me there and said my path to the majors might be quicker.
Good news I thought. Then I looked at the depth chart. I went from starting RF to starting 1b, hitting 424avg 17hrs 43rbi, to, yep 3rd string 1st baseman bumped to DH. The starter in AAA is a 74 overall.

So I'm now a DH again, third string 1st baseman in AA, but apparently my path to the Giants is much quicker where I am.

I want to bang my head against a brick wall. So frustrating. The logic needs to be changed and patched asap. Forget that leveling up your attributes feels like you are begging for change on a sidewalk, you get gut punched by the game for no reason at all.

Might be a VERY quick year playing this game. I feel a deletion into my library within a week.
Old 03-25-2018, 12:36 AM   #7
That's top class!

extremeskins04's Arena

There are some serious flaws in RTTS in this game. The archetype switching is a problem and it's not only unrealistic, the manager's make it ridiculous in this game when they want you to switch positions.

Also, I'm batting on All Star and my avg is .380 and i have 10 HR's, leading in RBI's and AVG in the entire double A league, in both conferences. But yet I'm a few points lower in OVR over my AAA competition (who's batting like crap) and I'm still in AA.

Sorry SDS but..no..just no. You won't find OOTP this way. If you're batting and performing extremely well with 250 at bat appearances, you're getting promoted...which is realistic. It's absolutely asinine to only base on your OVR.

Very immersion breaking.

Just fyi, i have 293 plate appearances, a 3B fielding % of .983, a .378 avg wit RISP, ISO is .200 and an POP (OBP+SLG+Batting Avg) of 1.312!

PROMOTE ME ALREADY. Sigh.

Last edited by extremeskins04; 03-25-2018 at 12:46 AM.
Old 03-25-2018, 07:54 AM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 0

Let us also add that it seems you cannot add pitches. I have looked everywhere and simmed over 2 seasons to determine when/how I can add new pitches and nothing has come up. Which for a starter pretty much means your screwed with 3 pitches....so it looks like with RTTS (the mode I enjoy the most) SDS has epically ****ted the bed.

3 pitches and in tail end of my second year I get hauled into the majors...all I have to say is we have seen this before when you have long relief pitchers spot filling in for starters....it never ends well....yea I think I will be going back to 17 for RTTS.

#nothappy

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »