Home

Closing Pitcher Sub Logic Flawed?

This is a discussion on Closing Pitcher Sub Logic Flawed? within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-25-2018, 03:09 PM   #1
MVP

OVR: 6
Closing Pitcher Sub Logic Flawed?

Playing franchise game, SF subs in for CP to get 4 out save in 8th inning in close game. Perfect time to sub since RP was struggling with runners on base and righty at the plate. CP holds the inning. Top 9th CP is scheduled. CPU not only does not double switch in 8th but subs out CP who had low pitch count in 9th. Now new pitcher gets save. I think this has to be a bug?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 14
Re: Closing Pitcher Sub Logic Flawed?

I don't think it's a bug, it's just the way the CPU managed it with the AI logic. I've decided a long time ago that I won't overscrutinize the CPUs lineup and roster management and it's helped me enjoy it a lot more. Maybe they brought in the CP to get the high leverage out in the 8th, and called it a day. It's not thaaaaat far out of real of possibility.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:29 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 0

Yeah, not ideal but fairly minor when you consider the legacy problem of the cpu pinch hitting for three guys in a row and then having to put in a short stop to catch the 9th inning.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:03 PM   #4
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

You will find the CPU tends to use the overall ratings as better options. if you look at the Mets the CPU will always sub in Reyes and pinch hit him early on no matter how hot Rosario is because he is a overrated 83 overall

I am assuming Tony Watson came in instead?
Old 03-25-2018, 09:51 PM   #5
Rookie

I've enjoyed recent games a lot more when I just full blown got rid of closers. Not one closer to be found in all of baseball. CPU managers were less rigid with who they used to close out games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #6
MVP

ninertravel's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbusch22
I've enjoyed recent games a lot more when I just full blown got rid of closers. Not one closer to be found in all of baseball. CPU managers were less rigid with who they used to close out games.
I think with this supposed new BP logic, that the closer position should be scrapped anyway it is pointless. just have all RP move them all as a RP.

Just on that is it possible to actually do that though do you need to have at least 1 CP active on a roster?? and would this make the All star voting going crazy because there would be no CP
Old 03-25-2018, 10:38 PM   #7
MVP

It was stated on one of the streams the new AI evaluates the bullpen after each series and makes adjustments. It is possible/probably the guy with the CP label wasn't actually the CP in that game. Bullpen by committee.

Not clear from your post whether the CP was pinch hit for. I haven't seen it this year but I did see a bug in previous editions of the game in which a pitcher hit for himself and then was replaced without throwing a pitch the following inning. That's a minor bug but I doubt the CP pitching the 8th and an RP closing the game is a bug.
Old 03-26-2018, 12:50 AM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninertravel
I think with this supposed new BP logic, that the closer position should be scrapped anyway it is pointless. just have all RP move them all as a RP.

Just on that is it possible to actually do that though do you need to have at least 1 CP active on a roster?? and would this make the All star voting going crazy because there would be no CP
You are not required to have a CP anywhere on your roster or organization.

As for the All Star voting, it automatically just pulls the 7 most voted for RPs. The funny thing is if you move anyone to CP the Sunday before the break, they automatically make the team at that point because the logic is designed to always put the 6 most voted for CPs.

So I actually use it to my advantage. I'll move 3 or 4 deserving RPs to CP so they make the team, and I'll also move a couple of SP who were otherwise going to miss out to CP to they make the team as well. Literally you just change their position to CP the Sunday before the ASG and you can change it back day of and it won't change anything.

But you end up with a realistic pitching staff - 7 or 8 SP, 4 or 5 RP. Always drove me nuts to see only 5 SP on an All Star team.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »