Home

MLB The Show 18 Review: Gameplay is the Guiding Light

This is a discussion on MLB The Show 18 Review: Gameplay is the Guiding Light within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-02-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77
MLB The Show 18 Review: Gameplay is the Guiding Light

As an avid lover of baseball and baseball video games, there is no better time than...

Written By: Robert Kollars

Click here to view the article.
Follow me on Twitter
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
MVP

thescoop's Arena

OVR: 23
Re: MLB The Show 18 Review: Gameplay is the Guiding Light

A very good review. I agree with the points made here. It is rare to read a review and say "That's exactly what I was thinking" but Robert Kollars nailed this one for me. I'm hoping the SDS team reads this and starts to figure out they need to step up next year for Franchise Mode after three years of nothing but cosmetic changes.

Thanks for the great and fair review, Robert.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:51 AM   #3
Rookie

OVR: 2
This review sealed the deal for me... I'm going to wait for a sale. For the first time in 9 years, I didn't buy The Show on Day 1. Commentary, Franchise... I'm hoping SDS can take some time away from DD this year to focus on those areas.
Old 04-02-2018, 12:07 PM   #4
MVP

Therebelyell626's Arena

OVR: 0

I agree. I would love for franchise to be overhauled because it's all I play. Sadly I see the show going the way of other sports titles. Their priorities are DD and getting into the e-sports market. Sadly the days of just making a great game are long gone
Old 04-02-2018, 01:35 PM   #5
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

I have been getting bored faster and faster every year until this year. The gameplay is honestly perfect imo and reeks of authenticity. I was very skeptical I would like this game at all this year but all the big things that I’m bummed didn’t change are easily accepted when considering how all the little changes have added up to this gameplay masterpiece.

The only real problem I have is the commentary. It hasn’t been good for a few years now but I’m not one to care much about commentary but it’s absolutely abysmal this year. It’s such a shame because this years presentation and gameplay really sucks you in to feeling like it’s real baseball your participating in and then Matt, Dan or Mark open their yaps and *poof* that illusion is quickly dissipated.

The biggest problem is that they don’t talk to each other. It’s 3 individuals sitting there waiting for an event to occur so they can launch into some canned phrase or lame anecdote. It truly is at wwe2k(insert year) levels of bad imo.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #6
87%

ty5oke's Arena

OVR: 25
Wow, this review is spot on for me. I hate card collecting games but am really enjoying DD (although that could be to no season mode and stale Franchise mode). Overall, the gameplay is fantatstic but I don't get excited for much else.

Operation Sports OOTP League
Old 04-02-2018, 05:41 PM   #7
Rookie

tfcfan4life's Arena

OVR: 0
Spot on with the review Robert. Thanks for calling it the way it is. I'm one of those diehard franchise/offline players and I'm disappointed to see nothing much was done to add to this part of the game this year.

Like you said, for years, we've been asking for revolving interleague schedules, create-a-ballpark, team relocation, and league customization and realignment, and yet we get none of these. Ramone comes out saying he tried to get this added to the game but wasn't able to do so. No explanation as to why was given. I just hope Sony reads this and makes changes to the game next year.

Having to pay $79.99CDN (which is literally a UI/Menu facelift and some added animations to hitting and fielding) I feel like I've been ripped off. Not to mention that they charge us the full price for the digital edition which is crazy. Not to mention no refunds on digital pre-orders which i think is BS as well.

If they need more resources to get things added and done then hire more people to work on the game. Simple as that. Don't come here telling us there are budget constraints and we have to do with have we have, cause I think that's BS. SIE makes a ton of money from this game and with the packs/stubs sold every year.

Last edited by tfcfan4life; 04-02-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 04-02-2018, 06:06 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Guiding Light? Maybe.

Bold & Beautiful for the Young & Restless, definitely!

A Work in Progress

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »