Home

Franchise Frustrations

This is a discussion on Franchise Frustrations within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-12-2018, 12:55 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Franchise Frustrations

I am posting this to air out my frustrations with this game. Today, after much tinkering with the OSFM roster I downloaded back when it was first released, I finally started a franchise. To my dismay, I have found that the challenges faced in making this game as realistic as possible have become even harder. I do 30-team control and manually DL players who are injured. MLB The Show has made it extremely difficult to make this possible. First off, The Disabled list day ranges are very constricting. They eliminated a DL stint of 20-28 days and you can only do 1-12 days or 35-70 and then 180-350. These ranges are just not acceptable and extremely unrealistic. For instance, in NBA 2K18 they allow you to put any amount of days a player is injured (from 1-over a year.) Why can't something similar be implemented for this game?

Part two of my frustration is that they have shrunk the MLB DL spots down to only allowing 5 players at a time at each level to be injured. I will say, part of the issue is MLB removing the 15-day DL and replacing it with the 10-day DL, thus teams are putting guys on the disabled list a lot more frequently. I just wish that the devs could address this these issues because there is a good amount of hard-core players that want their franchise as realistic as possible and that cannot happen anymore.

These issues, along with others that I have with this game, has really put a sour taste in my mouth and has diminished the fun I used to have with this game. Franchise mode as a whole has really taken a back seat to the other modes and it is very apparent. We keep saying "well, maybe next year" but I'm starting to think that "next year" will never come.

What do y'all do to do a somewhat of a workaround for this problem?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
Rookie

Re: Franchise Frustrations

I really don't understand why people on here hate DD so much. DD isn't that much better, but to stay on task franchise can be a tad bit annoying. You do feel kind of "limited" when it comes to what you can and can not do. I think they should do franchise sliders kind of like 2k? Every game mode can't be perfect, but I think they are trying. The whole "to do list" is a good feature imo it keeps you in check. I would try to just play in your own little universe and still it keep realistic, but not trying to match the mlb life day to day.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:47 PM   #3
Pro

If someone has a season ending injury do they still retire at the end of the season?

2020: 52-39
Old 04-12-2018, 02:48 PM   #4
Banned

Williemayshayes00's Arena

So between AA, AAA and MLB you can only have 5 total players on the dl at a time?
Old 04-12-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Banned

Roscosuper's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamarlin2121

What do y'all do to do a somewhat of a workaround for this problem?
I've abandoned the "realistic" approach. While some games are better than others, they all will have too many "holes in their game" (so to speak). It's a futile cycle we endure every year and now more so because the fools are being conned in droves to buy a "virtual" edge for the online nonsense. So most of the development time is spent figuring out the proper level of manipulation (too little-not maximizing revenue, too much-people boycott).

For The Show, I start with the default roster and manually injure the players who didn't make it to Spring Training. I do my best to estimate the possible duration of their injury, and then leave it up to the sim-engine to do the rest.

Yes, it's a reality/fantasy mix, but trying for pure reality with the current state of sports gaming, will always end in disappointment. And it's actually kind of fun because there's no expectation to follow reality's path. It's an alternate universe based in reality. I think that's the best you can do at this point.

The Show is actually pretty good for this approach, due to their face-editor. Not only do they try to give each player his own face, they allow you to edit the generically made ones.

In my current Franchise, as the Mets, I have a promising young 2B who happens to wear his hair like Rich Vaughn (Wild Thing). So it actually makes for an interesting story line because I can change it if I so desire.

Anyway, I think if you want to play this year, you're going to have to compromise in some way. For me the game is fun if I let go of expecting "exactness" and have a beer. Cheers
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-12-2018, 04:15 PM   #6
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guys_WhoGame
I really don't understand why people on here hate DD so much. DD isn't that much better, but to stay on task franchise can be a tad bit annoying. You do feel kind of "limited" when it comes to what you can and can not do. I think they should do franchise sliders kind of like 2k? Every game mode can't be perfect, but I think they are trying. The whole "to do list" is a good feature imo it keeps you in check. I would try to just play in your own little universe and still it keep realistic, but not trying to match the mlb life day to day.
We hate DD because it obviously eats up all the attention and effort of the devs.
Old 04-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #7
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
We hate DD because it obviously eats up all the attention and effort of the devs.
That's not really true, but to each its own I respect your opinion.
Old 04-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #8
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

I use the A roster for my DL. I do 30 team control and try to follow injuries as much as I can. If a player gets injured in real life I just put him in A ball until he comes off the DL.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »