Home

Randomness?

This is a discussion on Randomness? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-06-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
Randomness?

So I have primarily been a proam/allstar teamup player and would say I am quite high level. However I just decided to wade into play now online and my experience has been awful. It just seems that the game is predicated on so much randomness that skill and basketball IQ are severely undervalued and the skill gap is nearly negated. Now I have not played with in depth defensive settings because it is a chore to change everything so I am sure if I chose to research the best tactics and utilize them it may increase the skill gap. With that being said I will give a recent game as an example.

First I picked the Warriors (I Know, but love Curry) and matched up against the Spurs. According to the forums and having a lot of stick skill this should have been an easy win right. In the first quarter alone I missed 5 wide open good releases, 2 with Thompson, 1 with Durant, 1 with iggy, 1 with Green and a late contest on a layup with Curry. meanwhile Even as I thought I was playing decent D my opponent was allowed to stay in the game as he got 3 auto foul calls putting him at the line, 3 offensive rebounds, and 2 blocked shot recoveries. I controlled the next quarter. I had a 4 point lead near the end of the 3rd using mostly curry. However starting the 4th it happened again missing wide open good releases, this time 2 with Curry and 1 with Durant. Meanwhile my opponent hit 3 contested 3s in a row 2 being computer contested, but both of those were on Gasol. I got frustrated after that and probably cost myself and ended up losing for my only loss. I get there is randomness in real basketball, but from a competitive standpoint when my players have superior ratings while taking better shots with good releases it should be almost impossible to lose. In this example I felt it was impossible to win and it will probably be a long time before I desire to play this mode again.
Do other players typically have this experience, or is it an outlier?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-07-2018, 09:50 PM   #2
The Designated Hitter

BA2929's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Randomness?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BQ32
I get there is randomness in real basketball, but from a competitive standpoint when my players have superior ratings while taking better shots with good releases it should be almost impossible to lose. In this example I felt it was impossible to win and it will probably be a long time before I desire to play this mode again.
Do other players typically have this experience, or is it an outlier?
So you basically want anyone who picks the Warriors online to never lose. That's what you're saying.
Old 05-08-2018, 11:43 PM   #3
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

Thats just the downside of playings this game, essentially it can just be random, there is no explanation or reason for things that happen in this game alot of the time, and that can be frustrating when playing against another user online.
Old 05-09-2018, 02:57 AM   #4
MVP

jk31's Arena

and what was your shot percentage in the end? remember that anything over 40% from deep has to be considered incredibely Good

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 05-15-2018, 09:51 AM   #5
Rookie

3ShowTime2's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA2929
So you basically want anyone who picks the Warriors online to never lose. That's what you're saying.

1. Never != Almost.

2. Anyone != Someone skilled.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »