Home

Just bought FIFA coming from a PES player

This is a discussion on Just bought FIFA coming from a PES player within the EA Sports FC and FIFA forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-05-2018, 10:08 AM   #1
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

OVR: 11
Just bought FIFA coming from a PES player

So I couldn’t resist the PS Store deal going on during this World Cup event and bought FIFA 18.

After playing a couple a matches this is what I immediately noticed between the two games:

The movement and physics seem to be more slippery with FIFA, players do not feel that they have weight and it doesn’t feel like they are running on grass compared to PES. It actually feels like the players in FIFA are ice skating or just sliding from point A to point B. I am not sure how I feel about this, I might have to get used to it but it really feels odd when I’m running around on the pitch, it doesn’t feel or look natural compared to PES.

Defending is overly complicated in FIFA, it seems I have to hold a button to contain the offensive player and that my player will then become a magnetic as he keeps in front of his player. I am not sure if I am defending correctly since all I am doing is holding down a face button instead of using my left stick when I’m moving my controller defender to keep in front of the dribbler. It just seems odd that I’m letting one button dictating the movement of the controller defender, it’s like it’s on auto pilot.

Presentation for FIFA is on another level compared to PES, I appreciate the various in-game replays and stats that adds extra immersion during gameplay. FIFA Pregame, post game cut scenes and commentary make PES look very basic although I do enjoy PES replays after goals with various angles as well.

Injuries and bookings are a welcoming sign with FIFA compared to PES, there were rarely any injuries occurring in PES unless there was a viscious tackle but even then it would happen maybe 1/20 times. After playing two seasons in PES, I’ve only seen 2 injuries while in my first match in FIFA I’ve seen 3.

Gameplay wise, FIFA seems to be back and forth. The ball is more detached and turnovers by teams are more frequent. In PES, the ball seems to stick more with the players and teams would have longer possessions with the ball. To compare, in PES you can keep the ball for 5 minutes at a time whereas in FIFA you may have the ball for a 1 minute before a turnover occurs. Personally I prefer FIFA in this aspect as the game is less predictable and there’s more back and forth rather having one team having the ball more for most of the game. The ball is more lively and unpredictable in FIFA imo.

If only FIFA was able to implement PES physics and player movements, that would be my ultimate game. It’s a shame we have to give and take between both games.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2018, 10:24 AM   #2
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Just bought FIFA coming from a PES player

Agree with everything, except defending.

On PES, there's also a button that makes the player become a magnet if held. The difference is that it will make all the work for you, including the tackle itself. FIFA even has the option to make defending work as it does on PES, it's called "Legacy Defending", on the Controller Settings, but I despise it, as it makes everything much easier. On FIFA's default "Tactical Defending", when you hold that button, your player will only contain the opponent, then when you want to tackle you have to press the shot button (for standing tackle) or cross button (for sliding tackle). It takes time getting used to, but it's better. It makes the proccess of tackling more manual and the timing of tackles a factor to succeed.

About the "slippery" movement, I agree entirely, but this may be reduced to some extent with gameplay sliders (sprint speed) and switching the game speed to slow. It won't be perfect, but there's room for a lot of improvement over the default arcadey gameplay, I suggest you visit the sliders section of the forums.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:33 AM   #3
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

Oh really? I didn’t notice the one button defending in PES, I usually manually get close to the dribbler with the left stick and tackle or hold L2 to keep in front but still using the left stick. In FIFA all I have to do is hold X and the defender will sprint or jog to be in front and then I hold circle to tackle but it just seems “auto-pilot” is multiplied by 10x on FIFA.

As for sliders, I actually used the OS cummunitu FIFA sliders for my first official match and that’s what I based my observations/comparison for my thread. Movement of players seem weightless in FIFA and it doesn’t feel/look like they are running on grass.
Old 06-05-2018, 10:56 AM   #4
Pro

If you press X on PES, the defender will run to the ball automatically and try to take it. It was always like this on the series since the PS1 days, and it was like this in the last PES I played, which was 2017.

If you're used to only using the stick, you can do it on FIFA as well. Tackle with square or circle or whatever button you use to shoot. But expect to lose.

Well, for player movement, you can't get much better than the OS sliders without making the game feel sluggish. So it is what it is, sadly.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:05 AM   #5
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

Oh that’s true, I guess when I played PES I used to just get close with the left stick before pressing X to tackle. I will try to get used to holding X to “contain” before either stand/slide tackling.

And yes, the only major gripe with FIFA compared to PES is the movement/weight and feel of players. If only they could mimic that part of the technology from PES into FIFA, it would be a complete game.

On a side note, what camera angle is the best? I am currently using Tele Broadcast but I am not sure which one is the best for gameplay.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-05-2018, 01:07 PM   #6
Rookie

PES 2013 had the best defensive controls to date.

You could press a button to contain (tactical defending in fifa) and a second button to press (legacy defending) and I don't see a reason why we can't have something like this today. You might say it'll make defending too easy, but I'll say choosing when to use each one and the timing is what should matter, not the input method. As well as having AI that can take advantage of badly timed choices of course. Anyway, legacy defending can get pretty close as you can use a trigger to contain (but not automatically, you still have to use the left stick for positioning) and then use the button to press/go for the ball when you think it's the right time.

Also, a fair and accurate assessment of both games tcnumba10, I have to agree! Fifa can be pretty bad with on the ball controls and animations, they really need to sort it out, I will be highly disappointed if they don't in 19, as it will the third year on frostbite. But unfortunately Pes has regressed a lot in almost every other department (tactics, AI...).

Last edited by Chrisx; 06-05-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:19 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcnumba10
If only they could mimic that part of the technology from PES into FIFA, it would be a complete game.
Hahaha, just wait. You'll find more annoyances on your way, the game is far, far from perfect. (I'm not saying it isn't good)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcnumba10
On a side note, what camera angle is the best? I am currently using Tele Broadcast but I am not sure which one is the best for gameplay.
Personal preference, obviously. But I like Tele Broadcast, much better than Default. Higher and zoomed out, it works even better. I used it a lot with 19 height and 1 zoom.
Old 06-05-2018, 01:57 PM   #8
MVP

tcnumba10's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaloVingador
Hahaha, just wait. You'll find more annoyances on your way, the game is far, far from perfect. (I'm not saying it isn't good)

Personal preference, obviously. But I like Tele Broadcast, much better than Default. Higher and zoomed out, it works even better. I used it a lot with 19 height and 1 zoom.
Any suggestion for a cam that closely resembles PES? I find the Tele Broadcast on FIFA to be up high on an angle.

« Operation Sports Forums > Soccer > EA Sports FC and FIFA »