Home

What should be my 8th myPlayer?

This is a discussion on What should be my 8th myPlayer? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-14-2018, 12:23 PM   #1
Pro

OVR: 1
What should be my 8th myPlayer?

So we are less than 3 months from 2K19. At this point I'm not going to get seriously into team Pro-Am, though maybe in 2K19. I'm also not that excited about grinding my 93 OVR to 94. I mostly play walk on. With over 100K in the bank, I figure I've got time to try one more build just to get a different play experience and am looking for people's thoughts.

I've tried 7 different myplayers this year.

6'7" slashing playmaker SG, OVR 90 - Not thrilled with this, not quite a good enough finisher, shooter and not quite fast enough. Good passer but a pure point would be better at nearly everything
6'5" pure lockdown PG, OVR 89 - Ugh. You have NO OFFENSE with this build. Can't even realistically bring up the ball
7'3" playmaking rebounder C, OVR 89 - Meh, playmaking adds almost nothing here, basically you are a poor mans pure glass cleaner
6'3" sharpshooting shot creator, PG, OVR 93 - My best myplayer. That said, still too short and too slow to dominate. The sharpshooting doesn't make up for the loss of speed boost that a playmaking SC gets
6'6" Pure point SFOVR 88- Why did I go 6'6"? I think would have been real fun at 6'8". Or better yet, 6'7" Pure point PG
6'9" two-way slasher PF OVR 88 - No threat from outside and often matched with a 7'3" who just guards the paint. Usually not in position to score on the break
6'5" playmaking sharp PG OVR 88 - Wanted to play a real knockdown shooter. But not a huge upgrade over my shot creator, and defense / dribbling much worse

As you can see I like unconventional builds. Unfortunately that usually means they come up sub par. I can see there are a number of really good builds that I haven't tried (athletic rebounder C, 6'5" playmaking SC PG, 6'8" playingmaking SC SF, pure sharp, 6'8"+ pure point. These are the dominant builds in the game I've seen. I could try one of these or something outside the box that people can make a good case for.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
MVP

Thetruth9012's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: What should be my 8th myPlayer?

SG 6.8 sharpshoting shot creator(kevin durant )

Best offensive build in the game have fun scoring 40 and also very good rebounder and defender.

Wysłane z mojego Redmi 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka

Bigs can cover to much ground on defense(they are too fast)

Late contest on laups matter too much.

Random blocks doing pumpfakes.

Leaning shots for guys who have catch and shoot badge should be removed.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetruth9012
SG 6.8 sharpshoting shot creator(kevin durant )

Best offensive build in the game have fun scoring 40 and also very good rebounder and defender.

Yeah probably an upgrade over my 6'3", though I would think a 6'7" PG version would be better (better badges, better ratings, only 1 inch difference). But honestly I don't think I could ever be bothered to grind someone to HoF Mid-Range deadeye again lol
Old 06-14-2018, 01:42 PM   #4
MVP

Thetruth9012's Arena

It would be worse there is a difference betwen 6.8 and 6.7

If you 6.8 guy game thinks of you like a bigmen in terms of animations(offense and defense) dont look at ankle breaker cause its no need in this build.

Your job is to be secondary ball handler and primary scorer.

I play park mostly but in proam i was dominating aswell.

I have a lot of games with 17 points on 8/8 and 6 rebounds in park its just a machine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithtotl
Yeah probably an upgrade over my 6'3", though I would think a 6'7" PG version would be better (better badges, better ratings, only 1 inch difference). But honestly I don't think I could ever be bothered to grind someone to HoF Mid-Range deadeye again lol

Bigs can cover to much ground on defense(they are too fast)

Late contest on laups matter too much.

Random blocks doing pumpfakes.

Leaning shots for guys who have catch and shoot badge should be removed.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:44 PM   #5
Rookie

If you're into unconventional builds, try a SF Rebounding Shot-Creator. Stats are average to above-average across the board. Good glue-guy type of player if you're into that.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-14-2018, 01:57 PM   #6
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
6'5" pure lockdown PG, OVR 89 - Ugh. You have NO OFFENSE with this build. Can't even realistically bring up the ball
I have that same archetype at 6'4" and it's one of the best MyPlayers I've made this year.

You have silver posterizer + access to every good driving dunk animation in the game except for the contact dunks. Once you start up a dunk animation, it won't miss unless it gets blocked.

Your screens will hit harder than your average guard due to gold bruiser. Plus every time your defender makes contact with you, it will zaps his energy like a cattle prod.

Your off-ball cuts and open floor running are the fastest in the game due to maxed out speed/acceleration ratings.

You'll often snag rebounds and block balls that a smaller player on a different archetype could never reach due to your high vertical rating.

You won't miss many mid-range jump shots as long as you don't stray out any further than the free throw line.

And with bronze dimer you'll be able to accurately deliver every pass that you need to make apart from the full court heaves that only playmaker-primary builds can throw.

You should be able to average 10 points and 10 assists on this build with the right mix of teammates around you.

Last edited by jyoung; 06-14-2018 at 02:05 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:04 PM   #7
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by jyoung
I have that same archetype at 6'4" and it's one of the best MyPlayers I've made this year.

You have silver posterizer + access to every good driving dunk animation in the game except for the contact dunks. Once you start up a dunk animation, it won't miss unless it gets blocked.

Your screens will hit harder than your average guard due to gold bruiser.

Your off-ball cuts and open floor running are the fastest in the game due to maxed out speed/acceleration ratings.

You'll often snag rebounds and block balls that a smaller player on a different archetype could never reach due to your high vertical rating.

You won't miss many mid-range jump shots as long as you don't stray out any further than the free throw line.

And with bronze dimer you'll be able to accurately deliver every pass that you need to make apart from the full court heaves that only playmaker-primary builds can throw.
Haven't you run into issues with speed with ball and ball handling? I could accept all the other limitations, but I find these as killers. Basically I have to get rid of the ball as soon as someone comes near me as I'm a turnover waiting to happen. The dunks don't really help unless I'm uncontested since there's no contact dunks and I'm so slow with the ball. Finally, as a guard you really need to be able to spread the floor. If the opposing PG can stand right outside the paint and double off of you, you are a liability to the team on offense.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erithtotl
Haven't you run into issues with speed with ball and ball handling? I could accept all the other limitations, but I find these as killers. Basically I have to get rid of the ball as soon as someone comes near me as I'm a turnover waiting to happen. The dunks don't really help unless I'm uncontested since there's no contact dunks and I'm so slow with the ball. Finally, as a guard you really need to be able to spread the floor. If the opposing PG can stand right outside the paint and double off of you, you are a liability to the team on offense.
Every MyPlayer shorter than 6'10" has access to the momentum behind the back move plus the normal 2 crossover and normal 3 behind the back, which are all you need to dribble past people who try to press you.

If your defender is double teaming off you whenever you don't have the ball, then you need to cut to the basket if there's an open lane or stand in the short corner/free throw line/elbow for an easy catch and shoot mid-range jumper that any archetype in the game will be able to hit consistently.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »