Home

Can we talk about bigs in NBA 2k19?

This is a discussion on Can we talk about bigs in NBA 2k19? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-01-2018, 04:20 PM   #1
Rookie

OVR: 0
Can we talk about bigs in NBA 2k19?

Something has to be done, it's been going on too long where these kids Max out their centers and are good at doing everything.

Small undersized Centers are so underappreciated in this game it's ridiculous. I shouldn't feel the need to the be a clumsy 7'3 340lbs, but that seems to be the case.

Look at the NBA big men like Towns, Porzingis, Dwight, and Davis. All those dudes are 7' and no more than 250 and dominate the NBA. So why can't I make a regular sized center and do the same? A small 7' Hakeem Olajuwan would've been dominated in 2k's world.

2k really needs to magnify the disadvantages with size. It really needs to be addressed because all I do is play big man in Pro Am
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-02-2018, 12:02 AM   #2
MVP

howardphillips214's Arena

Re: Can we talk about bigs in NBA 2k19?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImInThis
Something has to be done, it's been going on too long where these kids Max out their centers and are good at doing everything.

Small undersized Centers are so underappreciated in this game it's ridiculous. I shouldn't feel the need to the be a clumsy 7'3 340lbs, but that seems to be the case.

Look at the NBA big men like Towns, Porzingis, Dwight, and Davis. All those dudes are 7' and no more than 250 and dominate the NBA. So why can't I make a regular sized center and do the same? A small 7' Hakeem Olajuwan would've been dominated in 2k's world.

2k really needs to magnify the disadvantages with size. It really needs to be addressed because all I do is play big man in Pro Am
This has been covered extensively in another thread. I told them what I'll tell you. 7' athletic is the best center hands down. I get all the contacts, even driving, and i can dominate my match up. I'm just too fast at the 5. My buddy has a 6'10 pure athletic with 70 something speed and HE'S not much faster than me at 63! That means my long legs just cover too much ground. Anyone shorter then me at the 5 gets dominated. I mean, straight brutalized. I'd you're taller than me and NOT rebounding first I'll destroy you on the glass because i can beat you to your spot. If I'm boxing you OUTSIDE the paint, you're not getting the board.

Only times i get dusted or flat out outplayed are when my other big is an AI. If I've got a GUARD boxing at the 4 i could run big at the 5 all day. It's when you DO kick me to the 4?!

All hell breaks loose. As dominant as i am at the 5 I'm tremendous at the 4. I'll be the whole team. I've had most of my 40 point games at the 4.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:23 PM   #3
MVP

dwayne12345's Arena

Just came in to point out that Porzingis is 7'3 and Joel Embiid, one of the most dominant Centers in the league, is 7'2...

Anthony Davis is a PF archetype which is why New Orleans brought in Omer Asik and then DeMarcus Cousins.

Also it seems like you are insinuating that in the real world a 7' Center is undersized. Do you mean in 2k a 7' Center seems undersized?
Old 07-07-2018, 01:33 PM   #4
Lockdown Defender

Rockie_Fresh88's Arena

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345
Just came in to point out that Porzingis is 7'3 and Joel Embiid, one of the most dominant Centers in the league, is 7'2...

Anthony Davis is a PF archetype which is why New Orleans brought in Omer Asik and then DeMarcus Cousins.

Also it seems like you are insinuating that in the real world a 7' Center is undersized. Do you mean in 2k a 7' Center seems undersized?
But thabeet was 7’3. Embiid is 7’1 . Boban is 7’3 . Walter Tavares is 7’3 . Guys 7’3 usually barely crack rotation lol . Especially at today’s pace .
#1 Laker fan
First Team Defense !!!
Old 07-07-2018, 01:46 PM   #5
MVP

Yao Ming and Sean Bradley were both 7'5. Both had extremely short careers and neither were very nimble. Yao had a jumper, bradley played hands up defense and still blocked shots... Neither really left their feet ever. Even to rebound, they just were tall enough to put up stats. If either of them faced a Deandre Jordan or Andre Drummond they'd get slaughtered.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-07-2018, 05:02 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayne12345

Porzingis is 240 pounds and sacrifices strength, Embiid is 280 pounds and isn't very explosive getting off the ground, but 2k centers are 60-100 pounds heavier strong as the hulk and as explosive as the flash. Using outliers like Embiid and Porzingis doesn't make sense because both have weaknesses that can be exposed, which isn't the case for the 7'3 340 pound monsters in 2k. Also, the average height of an NBA center is right around 6'10, so you can name 2 guys and I can name Jordan, Cousins, Drummond, Jokic, Davis, Howard, Turner, Kanter, Capella, Towns, etc etc. all of these guys are under 6'10 without their shoes on, and under 7'0 with them on.

Anthony Davis plays center now, which is why they let DeMarcus walk and brought in 2 power forwards in Randle and Mirotic to play with him.

And undersized center would be Tristan Thompson sized, someone 6'9, you play a 6'9 center in 2k and your team is done. Imagine a Ben Wallace sized center trying to play in Pro-Am competitively, it would be a massacre. The problem is there's no balance in the game, strength rules and the speed difference isn't enough to make up for it because th difference in speed is never as pronounced as it should be. There should be a chess game when it comes to putting pro-am teams together that leads to team variation, some teams going small, some going big, some using a mix etc. But the animations ruin the speed differences where 340lbs guys can keep up with much faster guys by riding their hip.

Last edited by YourHairlineTrash; 07-07-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 05:07 PM   #7
Banned

Also stop giving non shooting centers 57-63 ratings in threes, that is more than reliable enough to make 3 threes a game at a respectable rate if you get passes from gold or hof dimer. I shouldn't have to respect the shooting of a rebounding slasher, just like they shouldn't have to respect the range of my post scorer, but they do.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:45 PM   #8
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YourHairlineTrash
Also stop giving non shooting centers 57-63 ratings in threes, that is more than reliable enough to make 3 threes a game at a respectable rate if you get passes from gold or hof dimer. I shouldn't have to respect the shooting of a rebounding slasher, just like they shouldn't have to respect the range of my post scorer, but they do.
So, as a slasher... You want me to brick every shot that i take so you can sit directly under the basket and I'm completely ineffective?

That doesn't seem a little tilted in your favor? If I'm hitting with a 61 that means you need to play some defense.

The second you close out on me or start playing me tight I'm blowing past you and you better have help.

That's basketball. Don't blame me for knowing my shot.

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »