Home

Played Madden 2001 last night for the 1st in years.

This is a discussion on Played Madden 2001 last night for the 1st in years. within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #1
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

OVR: 11
Played Madden 2001 last night for the 1st in years.

2001 is the main reason I waited outside in a long line for the debut of the PS2. Only played a qtr and it was very fun, so fun that I decided To start a franchise. I also played Madden 2002 and 2005, but 2001 won me over. Not as realistic as the others but way more fun.

Anyone else here gave up on the newer Madden games? They are going in the wrong direction, IMO.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #2
Rookie

JasonZimmerman's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Played Madden 2001 last night for the 1st in years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl1963
2001 is the main reason I waited outside in a long line for the debut of the PS2. Only played a qtr and it was very fun, so fun that I decided To start a franchise. I also played Madden 2002 and 2005, but 2001 won me over. Not as realistic as the others but way more fun.

Anyone else here gave up on the newer Madden games? They are going in the wrong direction, IMO.

When I had my PS4 (I went with an Xbox One X) I’d play Madden 25. I think the presentation is better in that game than it is right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2018, 02:30 PM   #3
Rookie

I made a fictional roster for madden 18. Started a 32 team control franchise. I’ve had more fun with it than ever before. I have come to the conclusion I will not be buying any new maddens. I also just started learning how to use the editors for NCAA. Idk what it is, but having fictional players makes playing a football game so much more fun imo. Getting away from trying to recreate what I already watch on TV, and making my own version of football is definitely the way to go. Completely agree with you guys that they are headed in the wrong direction. It’s just become a big money grab anymore.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 07-17-2018, 02:43 PM   #4
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

I wish i could play old games and ignore their awful graphics but i just can't. I can't even get myself to play ncaa 14 because those graphics are such junk. Graphics are so important for me so i'd prefer the new games over the old any day even though they don't have a lot of the great stuff now that they used to.

If Madden 18 and NFL 2k5 both released at the same time back in '04 i wouldn't play more than a minute or two of 2k5 just because of the graphics even though it was one of my favorite games at the time and it's features and presentation are awesome compared to M18.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
Rookie

Landonio's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14
I wish i could play old games and ignore their awful graphics but i just can't. I can't even get myself to play ncaa 14 because those graphics are such junk. Graphics are so important for me so i'd prefer the new games over the old any day even though they don't have a lot of the great stuff now that they used to.

If Madden 18 and NFL 2k5 both released at the same time back in '04 i wouldn't play more than a minute or two of 2k5 just because of the graphics even though it was one of my favorite games at the time and it's features and presentation are awesome compared to M18.
That sucks man. You're missing out on some great experiences. Glad I'm not a graphics whore.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-17-2018, 03:05 PM   #6
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyPhanatic14

It’s understandable that the graphics keep people from going back to PS2 or even ps3. But if you play those old games for a while your eyes start to adjust to the visuals. One thing for sure is 4k TVs and PS2 is not a good match, PS2 games look much better on 720p or less from my experience.

But the main reason I personally like the PS2 Maddens more is because how fluid the gameplay and controls are and the superior running animations.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:09 PM   #7
MVP

Older Maddens are great for the nostalgia factor, but the gameplay on the field is completely and irredeemably broken in ways that M18 is not.

I posted this in a different thread, but it's relevant so I'll also share here. A friend was staying with me last year, and he brought with him an old PS2 and a copy of M08. It was fun for a while, formation shifts were great, but then I remembered how easy user catching was. Within an hour or so I was throwing up fades every snap and completing them at about an 80-90% rate often for one play TDs.

I can't do that in M18 even against the AI. The game mechanics simply won't allow for that sort of "strategy" to succeed. With practice they are easy enough to beat, but you still have to make reads when throwing the ball. Teams with strong rosters can also occasionally give you a reasonable game.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:19 PM   #8
MVP

Earl1963's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
Older Maddens are great for the nostalgia factor, but the gameplay on the field is completely and irredeemably broken in ways that M18 is not.

I posted this in a different thread, but it's relevant so I'll also share here. A friend was staying with me last year, and he brought with him an old PS2 and a copy of M08. It was fun for a while, formation shifts were great, but then I remembered how easy user catching was. Within an hour or so I was throwing up fades every snap and completing them at about an 80-90% rate often for one play TDs.

I can't do that in M18 even against the AI. The game mechanics simply won't allow for that sort of "strategy" to succeed. With practice they are easy enough to beat, but you still have to make reads when throwing the ball. Teams with strong rosters can also occasionally give you a reasonable game.
I understand that the old game aren’t as realistic, but that may be one of many reasons I prefer them over the new ones. These are video games after all and for me fun factor is my #1 reason for being a gamer, not realism.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »