Home

Old Vids: Missed Blocks more Risk/Reward in 2K17

This is a discussion on Old Vids: Missed Blocks more Risk/Reward in 2K17 within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-03-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

OVR: 16
Old Vids: Missed Blocks more Risk/Reward in 2K17

I'm serious...was watching some old 2K17 vids and the risk/reward on blocks was better than it is currently. I rarely if EVER say that related to something NBA 2K related (the devs do an outstanding job of improving the gameplay year-to-year) so I was shocked to see it but its right there in black and white. Pogo-sticking around and missing blocks was punished much more consistently.

How can this be a bigger aspect of gameplay going forward? Did the new motion system eliminate these instances?

Clip 1) Davis: if the 2nd best shot-blocker in the NBA can't just mistime blocks w/o consequence? no one can.

Clip 2) I mistime a block with Stauskas (40 block rating) EASY CALL. Should be a instant foul call 19 times out of 20 due to his nonexistent skillset.

Clip 3) Embiid (another elite shot-blocker) mistimes a block and gets whistled. Again--exactly what should happen. If I mistime a FT, lob, rebound or shot release I can't expect good results...shot-blocks should be the same way.

Well? What say you all?

Last edited by Kushmir; 08-03-2018 at 02:21 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2018, 02:58 PM   #2
MVP

El_Poopador's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Old Vids: Missed Blocks more Risk/Reward in 2K17

I don't think it should be an automatic foul. I do, however, think that the offensive player should be able to jump into him if he leaves his feet early to force the foul. That is a strategy in today's game that should be on the offensive player to initiate the contact.

I don't like when the decision to do it is made for me just because the defense jumped early or bit on the pump fake. Not all players do that, and some try to avoid the defender and go underneath for a reverse.

They do need to improve the ability of the ballhandler to quickly move away in those instances, though. The first step for all players is very lacking in 2k, allowing the defense to recover too easily, both on mistimed blocks and even something like getting around a screen or closing out.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
Hall Of Fame

VDusen04's Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador
I don't think it should be an automatic foul. I do, however, think that the offensive player should be able to jump into him if he leaves his feet early to force the foul. That is a strategy in today's game that should be on the offensive player to initiate the contact.

I don't like when the decision to do it is made for me just because the defense jumped early or bit on the pump fake. Not all players do that, and some try to avoid the defender and go underneath for a reverse.

They do need to improve the ability of the ballhandler to quickly move away in those instances, though. The first step for all players is very lacking in 2k, allowing the defense to recover too easily, both on mistimed blocks and even something like getting around a screen or closing out.
I agree with most of this. The three examples in the original post are worrisome because they mostly involve a defender jumping up then warping in mid-air so as to make contact with a stationary offensive player and committing a foul. Fly-by, mis-timed block attempts happen frequently in the NBA without a foul being committed so I'm not particularly keen with the way those plays transpired above.

I agree that it'd be nice to have the ability to make offensive players lean in and initiate contact. I remember that being in other 2K's, though I imagine it has come and gone because 2K hasn't found a great way to implement it without the move becoming abused and overpowered.

All told, I actually liked 2K's blocking system in 2K18 (vs. CPU). It was a night and day improvement compared to how little control I had in 2K17, when I'd anticipate a play correctly only for the game to delay my jump to prevent me from getting a hand on the ball.

Last edited by VDusen04; 08-03-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:27 PM   #4
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Poopador

Good points...and I should have been specific: I dont agree with an automatic 100% foul either (but its should be higher % for poor defenders or people with low block ratings)...but either a foul or defensive position that puts the D in poor position...blocks should have a cool-down (based on rating, obviously) before another can be attempted. These out-of-position/fly by animations were well done in 2K18 but they rarely took place. Here's one I liked because I fly-by and it takes me out of the play:

And for sure, i've practically begged for the ability to draw contact on airborne defenders FOREVER....one day perhaps. Here's it is in 2k18 but the animation is so rare its essentially a unicorn:

The key is to make contesting (which should be right stick and close distance better) and shot-blocks different. Then users wont have to attempt blocks to get a decent challenge.

And I couldn't agree more re: defensive recovery...i'm guessing its done like that because the offense is still too far ahead in terms of balance. I can't wait until this is no longer the case.

Last edited by Kushmir; 08-03-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Old 08-03-2018, 03:36 PM   #5
Pro

Cowboyfan_19's Arena

And here in 2k18, you will get stuffed or miss the shot if the defender is falling back down. That's a 4 point swing, and if it happens a couple times a game, that's around a 6-8 point differential.

I personally just hold the right stick to contest anything down low, because that's the fundamental sound thing to do & it works better than blocking shots.

But for guys spamming Y to block my post scoring & getting bailed out like that is just unacceptable & really hope they put the time into fixing this for 2k19.

Last edited by Cowboyfan_19; 08-03-2018 at 03:45 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-03-2018, 03:49 PM   #6
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by VDusen04
I agree that it'd be nice to have the ability have offensive players lean in and initiate contact. I remember that being in other 2K's, though I imagine it has come and gone because 2K hasn't found a great way to implement it without the move becoming abused and overpowered.
Hopefully they just needed more time with the new movement system but we need it back. not punishing airborne defenders affects so many aspects of gameplay--jump shooting probably the most.

As long as we address the ways it would be abused FIRST...its doable. The seriously under-utilized "contain" animation (which should trigger if the offensive player is static and we're in good defensive position--or if we dont fall for their pump fake) is a perfect counter for guys who will just try to bait people into fouls.

Auto-strips (like you see when Wiggins drives the basket and then just waits in clip #2) and easier tie-ups on static offensive players will help here as well so that users simply waiting for the defender to jump will have low success.

Last edited by Kushmir; 08-03-2018 at 05:02 PM.
Old 08-04-2018, 02:32 PM   #7
Pro

olajuwon34's Arena

It was most likely just another quick fix or bandaid fix they call it, something they had no clue how to balance into the game so they just glazed over it.
Old 08-04-2018, 03:39 PM   #8
MVP

Kushmir's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by olajuwon34
It was most likely just another quick fix or bandaid fix they call it, something they had no clue how to balance into the game so they just glazed over it.
You're talking about the "hands up contain" or the fouls from mistimed blocks?

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »