Home

I Played 2K14 Again...Does it Compete with 2K18?

This is a discussion on I Played 2K14 Again...Does it Compete with 2K18? within the NBA 2K Basketball forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-18-2018, 09:46 AM   #1
Pro

OVR: 0
I Played 2K14 Again...Does it Compete with 2K18?

So OS, its getting to that point in the year when the game becomes stale for me and I finally had a day off, so I decided I'd pop in 2K14 for graphics and gameplay purposes...I mean how well can a four year old game compare, especially with how technology evolves year, right? Here's what I observed playing Lakers vs. Thunder on Superstar for the first quarter and HOF for the rest of the game.

Graphics

Hit or miss. Yes, the lighting was almost impeccable in my eyes. In replay the player models, facial expressions (Only the face scanned players) and even the detail of the backboard itself was impressive. Overall, it was a LITTLE stronger than 2K18. However its a toss up between both games due to the how many players were cyberfaces. But I have to say 2K14's skin texture puts 2K18 to shame, especially Kobe's.

Gameplay

Man, this is where I saw a larger separation between the two games. Even though 2K18 has layers upon layers with customization for defensive settings, freelances choices, and play selection, I feel 2K14 was very competitive in this department and had a fun factor that will have me play it again tonight.

The fluidness of the game felt refreshing. It didn't feel like I had to force my player to move. In 2K18 it requires you to have a certain rhythm with dribbling in order to have freedom of movement. Dribbling wasn't as extensive as 2K18 with the signature size-ups and what have you, but it also wasn't a delay when I was trying to perform moves. Now onto the defensive end it was a completely different ballgame. Outside of the paint where the CPU center is almost automatic once they zip the pass in there (The CPU intelligence in 2K18 is much deeper), the way you can stick to the offensive player if you guess right is WORLDS BETTER. I had back to back possessions where the CPU had a 24 second violation. The post game also feels more fluid for some reason in 2K14, especially for guards. Kobe got me with a signature half spin hesi fader while driving... Talk about pretty. They've removed that move a few years ago.

The overall feel felt between 2K17-2K18. Not overpowering defense or offense. There was a balance between both as long as the CPU didn't rocket a pass to the paint.

Shot meter
There was none! And the funniest part about it OS is the CPU & I shot over 60% on HOF. However the make or misses made sense most times. It was the almost automatic layups that caused the inflation, which is probably the reason we see more missed layups four years later.

TL;DR
The fluidness of 2K14.... mainly the perimeter defense and ability to move without restriction was refreshing. If you are at that time of the year where the game has become more frustrating then fun, I challenge you pop in 2K14 for perspective. 2K18 does a lot of things right and is MUCH deeper, but in some aspects there hasn't been much progression. The comparison is definitely worth your time.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2018, 09:51 AM   #2
Pro

Johnnythelegend's Arena

Re: I Played 2K14 Again...Does it Compete with 2K18?

I did try it couple of weeks ago, really liked it, in fact more than 2k18 which I don't really like, played with the Bulls and really loved the feel and look of the game, things I could do with Rose, there are some things that I consider basics of basketball that 2k14 does better than 2k18. Defense as a whole, both 1 on 1 and team, moving screens are called, layups feel better etc. I know there are people like Barney

But I'll have to disagree with them in this case.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:04 AM   #3
ERA

The 24th Letter's Arena

OVR: 38

Yeah, its that time of year were you kind of put the current game to rest and got back and appreciate older titles, lol

2K14 NG was cool, but I think 2K14 LG was actually the better of the two. It obviously doesnt compete in the graphical department but it's one of the more complete games in the series.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Operation Sports mobile app
Old 08-18-2018, 10:30 AM   #4
Rookie

PeacemanNOT's Arena

2K14 for me was the best title they've brought out on the current gen. 2K15-2K18 don't really compete in terms of an overall experience. It was just better in all aspects for me, apart for modes and features.

As for 2K14 last gen, it was basically just a polished 2K13 which was a great game in my book. 2K14 on PC was even better as you had that polish with all the amazing mods that made the game even better. It's still being modded to this day.
Old 08-18-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 24th Letter
Yeah, its that time of year were you kind of put the current game to rest and got back and appreciate older titles, lol

2K14 NG was cool, but I think 2K14 LG was actually the better of the two. It obviously doesnt compete in the graphical department but it's one of the more complete games in the series.

I never got 2k14' NG, but I spent countless hours on 2k14 LG. It was such an improvement over 2k13, I kind of lament over the fact that NG came out so soon after LG was released, since the online life span for LG was so short as a result.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-18-2018, 10:59 AM   #6
Pro

Quote:

Yeah, 2K14 LG was a much deeper game. But I'm an offline quick game guy 90% of the time, so that game has what I need minus the limitations on the defensive settings.

I kind of was hoping 2K18 put 2K14 to shame in the gameplay department, but man that didn't happen at all.
Old 08-18-2018, 01:38 PM   #7
MVP

OVR: 3

Quote:

2k14 last gen was the goat. It was overshadowed, but it was outstanding. I actually couldn't appreciate cg 14 because of how incomplete it felt in comparison.
Old 08-18-2018, 02:29 PM   #8
MVP

Poke's Arena

OVR: 1

I hear a lot of people complain about the defense in 2K18 and I was one of them but with the right sliders it can be greatly improved

https://youtu.be/n5UjC07px9I

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Basketball > NBA 2K Basketball »