Home

Difficulty

This is a discussion on Difficulty within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-21-2018, 03:20 PM   #1
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47
Difficulty

I'm in a bit of bind when it comes to difficulty.

I play on All-Star across the board. Directional hitting (only press the swing button), Classic pitching and Auto fielding with Manual throwing.

On the surface, when I say that I finished an entire season in Franchise Mode (Mets) and won 116 games, you'd say 'buddy, you need to bump that difficulty up'. I led the league in HR's by a wide margin, was No. 2 in runs scored and team batting average was just under .260. Pitching-wise, led MLB in nearly every measurable category. But, I didn't make it out of the NLDS, so now I'm in a bit of a bind.

-Do I bump up the difficulty across the board to HOF?

-Do I raise the pitching difficulty to HOF and stick on AS for hitting, while increasing the pitch speed?

-Do I set Franchise Mode aside for a bit and work on setting my Dynamic Difficulty at AS+?

Open to any suggestions you guys may have.
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2018, 03:35 PM   #2
MVP

TheWarmWind's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Difficulty

I wouldn't worry about it to much. I'm constantly getting 120+ win seasons, and I'm constantly thinking to myself "I really need to up the difficulty". Then I go and play a minor league game and I get crushed. Then I go play a game when drunk and I get crushed. Then I go play a game when I'm in a bad mood and I get crushed.

As long as most of your games are a challenge to win you're playing at, or at the very least near your right difficulty level.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:41 PM   #3
MVP

KnightTemplar's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
I'm in a bit of bind when it comes to difficulty.

I play on All-Star across the board. Directional hitting (only press the swing button), Classic pitching and Auto fielding with Manual throwing.

On the surface, when I say that I finished an entire season in Franchise Mode (Mets) and won 116 games, you'd say 'buddy, you need to bump that difficulty up'. I led the league in HR's by a wide margin, was No. 2 in runs scored and team batting average was just under .260. Pitching-wise, led MLB in nearly every measurable category. But, I didn't make it out of the NLDS, so now I'm in a bit of a bind.

-Do I bump up the difficulty across the board to HOF?

-Do I raise the pitching difficulty to HOF and stick on AS for hitting, while increasing the pitch speed?

-Do I set Franchise Mode aside for a bit and work on setting my Dynamic Difficulty at AS+?

Your gameplay is identical to me. Seriously, I really wouldn’t take too much advice on this from other gamers. I jump back and forth w/HOF pitching, that’s about it, but you’re gonna get all messed up if you start slider experimenting, etc., especially if you’re a center swing guy like we are (hit variety is phenomenal this way).

Last edited by KnightTemplar; 08-21-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:42 PM   #4
DJ
Hall Of Fame

DJ's Arena

OVR: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWarmWind
I wouldn't worry about it to much. I'm constantly getting 120+ win seasons, and I'm constantly thinking to myself "I really need to up the difficulty". Then I go and play a minor league game and I get crushed. Then I go play a game when drunk and I get crushed. Then I go play a game when I'm in a bad mood and I get crushed.

As long as most of your games are a challenge to win you're playing at, or at the very least near your right difficulty level.
A lot of my games last season were close (3 runs and under).
EA Sports PGA Tour (PS5)
PGA Tour 2K23 (PS5)
Super Mario Bros. Wonder (Switch)
Old 08-21-2018, 04:14 PM   #5
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

Are you having fun?

If so then leave it be and enjoy. I wouldn’t start tinkering around with anything just enjoy it.

It’s not like you went 162-0 and swept your way to a World Series Championship.

I’d stay where you are. If it stops being fun then I up the difficulty. Until then though I stay put

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-21-2018, 04:45 PM   #6
Rookie

I'd say you got some sound advice here and in the end it's really only you who can decide what will make the game most enjoyable for yourself. After a few months of playing this years version I made a change myself that made the game MUCH more enjoyable for me.

I was playing on HOF zone hitting and Legend pitching with every slider at default. Games started becoming a little too easy for my liking, I won't say boring because I love baseball and the Show, but I was scoring a lot of runs and giving up very few way too often.

Using DD, I bumped my hitting up to HOF+ and locked that setting in. Then I adjusted the CPU Power and Solid hits by +1 each.

These 2 adjustments were a game changer for me(pun intended). All the sudden my games became way more competitive. I was going through full weeks of my pitching just getting absolutely rocked whereas before sometimes we'd go weeks without getting rocked once. Offensively I still bang HR at a ridiculous pace, but overall team average and runs scored dropped and ABs just seemed a bit more challenging.

Playing this way I have seen way more games decided by 1-3 runs with the occasional blowout in either direction. I'm very glad I made these changes as I have had much more fun playing since.
Old 08-21-2018, 05:13 PM   #7
Hall Of Fame

Caulfield's Arena

OVR: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ

I use dynamic and wouldnt consider anything else. I like that it pushes me up a level when I'm overachieving and drops me down when I'm in a slump. Really captures the ebb & flow of baseball IMO. Though I suppose it might be viewed by some as a comeback code enabler.

A Work in Progress
Old 08-21-2018, 07:26 PM   #8
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caulfield
I use dynamic and wouldnt consider anything else. I like that it pushes me up a level when I'm overachieving and drops me down when I'm in a slump. Really captures the ebb & flow of baseball IMO. Though I suppose it might be viewed by some as a comeback code enabler.

How much do you fluctuate between levels? Would you say you play a high % of your games at a certain difficulty and then a few here and there at a higher or lower or is it all over the place? I've only really used Dynamic to get an "inbetween" difficulty and lock it in.

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »