Home

After 250 games, MLB The Show '18 feels as new as it did on launch day

This is a discussion on After 250 games, MLB The Show '18 feels as new as it did on launch day within the MLB The Show forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-29-2018, 01:11 PM   #1
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62
After 250 games, MLB The Show '18 feels as new as it did on launch day

I did one of these threads after 100 games played. I debated a bit about doing a 2nd thread, but felt that I owe it to SDS to show my appreciation for another stellar title and in my humble opinion, the best baseball game, and sports game, that I have ever played.

After 250 games (actually 271 games but 250 sounds better ), MLB The Show '18 feels as new as it did on launch day. I play this game daily, well almost daily sometimes life interrupts, and after over 250 games played and 5 months since launch, I have yet to become bored with the MLBTS '18. The game simply captures baseball. This is the most authentic baseball game that I've ever played and it is the best sports game overall that I've ever played. In fairness to other sports titles, MLB is the only one on next gen that I play.

Are there shortcomings and bumps in the road? Sure...every game has them. But for me, the good far outweighs the bad in MLB '18. There are things that I hope are fixed/tweaked/added for '19 and beyond, but what '18 offers, to me is an amazing simulation of my favorite sport.

Every single game that I've played, and I truly mean this, has felt different and to be its own game. Nothing feels "repeated" nor scripted. Every single game, every single inning, every single AB, every single pitch feels organic.

I've seen my share of nail biters, blowouts, unbelievable comebacks, and unthinkable collapses. I've seen some "oh my did he just make that play!!!? and "oh my how in the hell did he botch that play?! I've seen pitchers who could tell a hitter what was coming and the hitter would still miss, and I've seen pitchers who would have better success sitting the ball on a tee for the hitter. I've seen bombs that not only did I wonder if they would stay within the park, but also would they stay within the area code. I've seen cans of corn, pop ups, seeing eyed singles, bloopers, frozen ropes down the line, and line drives that nobody in their right mind would try to catch for fear of injury.

I've seen baseball. I've seen in the MLB '18 what I see on TV. I've played in MLB '18 what I've played in my days of playing the game.

SDS gets a lot of flack for the bugs, glitches, and shortcomings in the game. They got a lot of flack for the removal of online franchise and season mode. And all deservedly so. We should point out the negatives and issues, as that is how we get an even better game in '19. And no one should lose a favorite mode, especially without it being mentioned up front, from the beginning.

But they should also receive praise for just how good MLB '18 is, for how well it captures the sport both on the field and off.

250 games played....and I can't wait to play 250 more.

Kudos SDS.... to a job well done.

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2018, 01:22 PM   #2
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: After 250 games, MLB The Show '18 feels as new as it did on launch day

I concur, I have played more games this year than I have any other year. In franchise I have always been play at least one game in the series, sim a game, manage a game and quick count a game. But this year I have been playing a lot of series One because of all the things you mentioned and two the commentary, OSD's and Themes the whole presentation package is so cohesive in context and very very good.

Last edited by Impetuous65; 08-29-2018 at 01:58 PM.
Old 08-29-2018, 02:01 PM   #3
MVP

dowie's Arena

OVR: 7

I couldn't agree more. ArmorAndSword's sliders paired with the hybrid rosters = video game baseball simulation heaven.

Dowie
Old 08-29-2018, 02:45 PM   #4
MVP

FluffyTonka's Arena

OVR: 8

yeah the game is something else ... my last two games were a 11-8 loss with a combined 22 hits in the game, and the very next game was a 2-0 shutout win to me. both against the yankees.

It's pretty hard in sports gaming to get a wide range of results where every game feels different. But SDS has done exactly that.

if all they worked on was commentary for next year, i'd be happy.
Old 08-29-2018, 03:57 PM   #5
MVP

dowie's Arena

OVR: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FluffyTonka
yeah the game is something else ... my last two games were a 11-8 loss with a combined 22 hits in the game, and the very next game was a 2-0 shutout win to me. both against the yankees.

It's pretty hard in sports gaming to get a wide range of results where every game feels different. But SDS has done exactly that.

if all they worked on was commentary for next year, i'd be happy.
Y
eah, as long as it isn't the ESPN Sunday Night Baseball crew

Dowie
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-29-2018, 05:13 PM   #6
Then..Now...Forever

countryboy's Arena

OVR: 62

If Jessica Mendoza is in the game I’ll mute the commentary

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports

I miss the old days of Operation Sports :(

Louisville Cardinals/St.Louis Cardinals
Old 08-29-2018, 05:57 PM   #7
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy
If Jessica Mendoza is in the game I’ll mute the commentary

Yeah she is dreadful.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 08-29-2018, 07:17 PM   #8
Windy City Sports Fan

Gagnon39's Arena

OVR: 25

It’s undoubtedly the best sports game I’ve ever played. No question.

Streaming on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/gagnon39

« Operation Sports Forums > Baseball > MLB The Show »